Viewing a network machine's desktop

Steve Randles

I have another pc on my home network, in another part of the house that I use for among other things, batch processing of photographs and other resource intensive things, so I dont tie up my main pc all of the time.

I find it a bit of pain having to go check if a task is finished or not..Is there a way I can view the desktop of the other machine here at my main pc? It would be real nice if I could tie it in with my graphics cards feature of being able to change desktops by simply creating on screen a quick circular movement of the mouse..

Any ideas anyone of where I should go for this info...or can anyone help me at all?

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Steve - it is really easy IF you have software designed to do that job.

VNC has a light duty version that is good, free, and will do what you want.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Davy - we use NetOp too and like it but you eventually have to pay if you want to use it. VNC's free version stays free.

dunc85 - remote assistance is good (as is remote desktop) but some drawbacks if what you want is a pure remote look at another desktop as it would be seen from that PC along with control of the other desktop.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

'PC anywhere' was the 'dogs doodahs' years ago,

I used to hook up to a clients pc in China with it running W3.11 so I expect it's even better now.

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Hmmm, seems it's a symantec product now! must be good

Egads what a price!!!!

http://www.symantecstore.com/dr/sat5/ec_MA...RP=0&CACHE_ID=0

Methinks a freebie is what's required!

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

I eventually used a program called Tight VNC which is doing the job perfectly. I connect my camera to the second pc, then turn off the monitor. Go back to the main pc and control, my camera, and whole pc from there. I can download the images, process in photoshop or whatever, batch save and name them then shut the pc down without hving to go back to it at all..all from my main pc without tieing up the system resources.

Thanks Newt. :)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet