Splashin' About

Simon Everett

Great set of pictures Simon well done that man.

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good pics, How strong is the currant in that area and can you make any headway, trying to gauge what is maximum flow you could go against and still make headway suppose it depends on how fast you could paddle as well.Re. 3rd picture how have you sealed the hull after you have climbed in :D:D:D .Could we have some surfing pictures next please, :D:D:D thanks again for good action pics

Olly for what its worth I've paddled there on my Caper and also further up near Rockley in a force 4-5.

On a spring tide the current is very strong near Rockley due to the narrower channel down there... water must have been moving at least 3knots on the ebb - it was very hard work for Zzippy and I to make progress on it with our Capers & keeping to the sides of the channel helped a bit (but boy did we fly down with the current on the way out!)

Where Simon was (further down near Salterns Marina) the currents may not be quite as strong but it looks like there was quite a wind making paddling very difficult!! (in addition to any current).

It's a good question I still need to find out what the maximum flow I can make headway against is. Battling against a spring tide ebbing from Poole Harbour entrance would be a good test -- it runs about 4knots there I think (I stand to be corrected on this.. anyone know for sure?)

Look forward to reading Simons input on this.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

And here it is!

Speciman was quite right - i am out off salterns marina, because i was working there for 3 days. The current is minimal there - 1/2 knot perhaps, but the wind was 6-7 gusting 8! I had a hell of a job making headway to windward and flew to leeward!

Once I had her making way I could make headway as long as I kept paddling, the wind was so strong that as soon as I stopped paddling the kayak fell off beam on, in less than a second. That is why I gave up fishing - having trolled a lure for an hour +, the weed made it a chore as I had to keep clearing the lure. That is when I went in and got the PR man to come out in one of the boats we were photographung and gave him my camera. He was given one lens and I just took pot luck! He didn't do too bad did he - my look of concern is more from issuing him instructions than the weather or sea conditions!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Great pics Simon

As a novice it gives me confidence to know that the yak is more capable tham me :)

I'll be trying to get some action shots like that myself, by perching the wife on some rocks and paddling close by, but they won't be so impressive as it'll be calm when I do that :)