Ocean Kayak - frenzy

guernseybass

was hoping to buy a kayak this year but can't really afford it....

However, just seen one of these for £125 in my local paper.

its only 9ft - is that too short to fish from ? width looks the same as a P13.

i am only intending to fish on fine calm days within 1-1.5 miles of the shore on inshore reefs with the fly.

any views chaps ? and can anyone remind me where i can get fly rod (specifically) holders ?

thanks

Mark

www.swff.co.uk - Guernsey Saltwater Fly Fishing

Member of B.A.S.S. - www.ukbass.com

Member of NFSA www.nfsa.org.uk

"better to have fished and lost than never fished at all "

Seeing pics from the US sites people can and do use the frenzy for fishing (I saw a shark caught from one in a video somewhere). However for frequent fishing use you will be limited with this kayak.

There's litle space for gear/rigging & it could be hard work padding 1.5 miles off shore in a kayak of such short length (it was only until I started paddling that I appreciated just how far a mile actually is!).

But at £125 if its in good condition it sounds like a good deal & if it gets you out fishing...

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Mark

I'd agree with both of the above but the latter seems a great idea. A few weeks back I bought a Perception Five-0 sit on surf ski on e-bay tried it out once didn't like it and sold it again two weeks later on e-bay when the weather was better and made £90.

Certainly got me thinking about buying similar items cheap in the winter and selling at a higher price in the summer. However, don't think the wife would appreciate the living room full of kayaks etc.

You can't have enough kayaks, boats, bikes, cars, fishing rods........you just can't, it's in a blokes' nature.

Mark, the Frenzy would do you for a short while, but like the others I thik you would soon find it's shortcomings. For fly fishing inshore it will be fine - in fact I think it might even be an easier prospect than a longer kayak because there is less to tangle the line in your lap. However, a mile is a long way in a short kayak and you will find it hard going against the sort of tide runs you get over there - I don't think you would be able to paddle against it for any distance.

Fly rod holders are made by Scotty - Johnsons are now importing them. But, for a quick fix, use a piece of plastic plumbing, 40mm seems to be the preferred size, and cut a slot down the pipe so the reel foot can slide down. Alternatively why don't you take the rod down once rigged and just stow it under a bungy in two halves. It is easy enough to put the two back together when you actually come to fish - the line is already run through the rings.

A fold down crate from tesco or Lidle or Wilko is about £3. They fit the tank well of the Prowler perfectly - don't know what size the well on the Frenzy is, smaller though. You can soon find a plasticbox which will fit under the bungy and attach your plumbing holder to that.

As said above - if it gets you on the water for this year it will buy you some time while you build up your kayak fund.

Don't forget to budget at least £100 on safety items - paddle, paddle leash (bit of elastic tied on is fine - tent pole repair kit - £3) buoyancy vest, anchor and min. 30m line THAT IS A MUST especially in your deep water. I've got 50m on mine. It cost 15p per metre - so £7.50.

A whistle is a cheap, simple safety device which takes up no room and weighs less.

Clothing - neoprene booties are brill. Failing that a pair of plastic sandals will suffice in warm water conditions. Swim over and see Prowler, he's closest to you i think. He'll put you right!

For £125 I think you would be passing up a great opportunity if you didn't buy it.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Hi Mark, at that price you can't go wrong with a Frenzy

Its slow and a bit cramped, but is stable, turns quick, is good in the surf, and fine for fishing as long as you keep the fishing gear to a minimumn.

I sometimes use one if im just taking a spinning rod and and don't intend going far off. Its also great when your tight in under cliffs, or in among "rock gardens" , as it turns easily and you can nip through gaps that a bigger yak would find a problem.

I'd be wary about taking one a mile off though, and I don't have to deal with the same fierce tides you have down there.

Good second yak to own even if it does not suit all your needs though :) : Great for friends and family at the beach, surfing one is also tremendous fun! :) . Hard to believe you could not resell at a profit if you find it too limited for what you want to do.

Chris.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Hi Mark,

i fish from a frenzy.i'm 5'6''tall quite stocky and weigh 13stone.i fish in cornwall(mostly south coast)on my kayak i have two rod holders on a rhino bar style fitting by my feet with two pouches on it which holds all my terminal tackle and leads and my fish finderis mounted there aswell.battery and drypack up front and food clothes and trolley at rear.2.5miles out so far o real struggle but nothing to compare with.

hi mark

a little longer for more storage and better tracking maybe needed but as i am a short house i would have to be moving up and down on the yak to reach anything further away than it is now.and i don't fancy doing that when i'm out fishing in anything but flattish conditions.when i paddle it at a relaxed pace in calmish conditions my G.P.S says 2.4mph don't know if it is just th frenzy but it sometimes seems to stick to water in choppy conditions.