Fish box full of bass

Socksy Squirrel

i didnt see the program so i cant comment on how many were flapping and why, which i think is what people are complaining about.

It perhaps would have been prudent, if the program was about natural food sources, to show the fish being dispatched humanely and perhaps even bled to keep the meat white (although bass suffer less from this than pollack for instance)

fwiw, i've seen many animals dispatched on TV, sheep(the clean way and the messy) to spiders. From the point of the program its far more interesting to see how it should be done and learn why it should be done. It does seem a little peculiar that it was ommitted as the program is quite grass roots...perhaps it was too animal biased in a food program.

One thing to remember is that it isnt just the star of the show that makes the program...the director, writer, editor and even the producer can all make changes to a program that can change its appearance, so perhaps its not his fault...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gonefishing:

It does seem a little peculiar that it was ommitted as the program is quite grass roots...perhaps it was too animal biased in a food program.

HFW doen't shrink from it - in his new Meat book there is a photographic sequence of a bullock going into the pen, getting shot in the head, being decapitated then butchered...then it goes on to the recipes. That should sort out the hypocrites!

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Salar:

Good one Tog. Why do people get wound up when they see more than a few dead fish all together. Have they never been to a commercial fishing port and seen the landings there?

one question Salar . hows your Cod fishing ? as good as it was 5,10, 15 years ago ? let me guess - you're catching more than ever, and so is everyone you know, and everyone they know.

thats the point.

GB

www.swff.co.uk - Guernsey Saltwater Fly Fishing

Member of B.A.S.S. - www.ukbass.com

Member of NFSA www.nfsa.org.uk

"better to have fished and lost than never fished at all "

spasor:

Hello Jim.

If you don`t look in Pats` freezer, I wont either.   :rolleyes:  

Turns out it was Pat's boat then!

This was all raked up about a year ago from what I remember.

As for dwindling stocks, the nursery areas seem to be working and everybody is talking about catching more Bass than they have for years.

The seine netters tell me that they are now catching a lot of 4-6 ib Bass instead of all the schoolies of a few years back.

One chap told me yesterday that he went on a wreck off Chesil a few weeks back and they had 3 Bass over 10lb that day.

My observation is that Bass fishing has nothing to do with 'living off the land/sea'. It would make more sense to catch Mackerell to eat. Of course, if you intend selling or bartering your catch, that's different!

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Guest jay_con

I think ive been part of such a discussion before. As anglers we all at some time: Dig up worms from their home then kill them slowly by letting them bleed to death in newspaper and then impaling them on a hook, freeze peeler crabs alive or impale them on a hook if your using them fresh, Smash open a mussels little home then extract him with a knife, pour salt into the burrow of a razor fish to get him to come out then we smash open his shell and put him on the hook, Impale live fish on a hook and use it as live bait, Drag fish away from their families and habitat then let them die so we can eat them.

My guess is everyone hear is guilty of at least 1 of the above mentioned cruelties. My conclusion is: people in glass houses shouldnt throw stones.

If you want to complain about dead fish and wasting fish , I suggest you leave poor Hugh alone (a great guy who beleives in sustainability and organic procedures),and all write to DEFRA to complain about the 33% of white fish catch which is thrown back dead into the north sea on a daily basis because it is undersize or the boat has no quota to land it.

guernseybass:

one question Salar . hows your Cod fishing ? as good as it was 5,10, 15 years ago ? let me guess - you're catching more than ever, and so is everyone you know, and everyone they know.

thats the point.

GB

...er I think that was my point too, if you read to the end of the post.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Salar:

Salar:

thats the point.

GB

...er I think that was my point too, if you read to the end of the post.
was it ? [looks up to see point going over head] aaahh ! :D

www.swff.co.uk - Guernsey Saltwater Fly Fishing

Member of B.A.S.S. - www.ukbass.com

Member of NFSA www.nfsa.org.uk

"better to have fished and lost than never fished at all "

What? Hugh lives with rich parents in London?

That might explain why Hugh (when out fishing with Davy Holt a few months back), stayed on a large yacht, anchored in the Loch!!!!! Even the local hotel wasn`t good enough for him. :D

You haven`t seen me. OK!

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

eeerrrrrrr, hugh doesnt live with his parents, his privelidged middle class life may be funded in part by them (and in part by channel 4) but he doesnt live with them

[ 23. October 2004, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: jeepster ]