Dawn Versus Dusk

The Flying Tench

Which is better, dawn or dusk? I'm thinking mainly of roach and perch, but others could be interested in replies for other species. Both have similar light levels, and both are recommended for getting the better specimens. But are they equivalent? For example I have an impression from comments people have made that lure fishing for perch might work better at dawn. (Rarely for me) I got up at dawn today and caught a pb perch on lobworm (just under 3lb), but was quite startled when a 3lb plus perch leapt clear of the water, presumably chasing fry - I've never seen that at dusk. Am I right that the dawn feeding spree is likely to go on for a couple of hours, but for species which hunt prey visually the evening session is likely to be shorter? Counter to that, dusk would seem preferable on a very cold day when the water would benefit from a bit of winter sun.

These are some uncertain thoughts to try and clarify what I'm getting at. When planning a trip do you go for dawn or dusk, and why?

john clarke

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly, many congratulations on your new pb!

Secondly, thanks for starting yet another interesting discussion. I'm not being patronising - I just find your topics very stimulating, and it shows that you really think about your fishing.

There are a host of factors involved here, not least the venue, the weather conditions and the time of year. I'm going to leave it to others to start the ball rolling as I'm off to bed shortly. However all I will say is that in winter I prefer dusk to dawn for both roach and perch. At the moment though we've still got summer weather!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Evening in the summer, morning in the winter. Or is that over simplification, or have I got it the wrong way round? I think that there are too many other factors to be able to come up with a generalisation, atleast on tidal waters like the Broads. And don't forget the mid-day feeding spell in the winter.

Great thread! I actuall see it the converse of Pete W.

I'm thinking only of Pike here mind so consider that but I favour early morning in the summer / autumn but as winter sets in and progresses I find that afternoon feeding spells predominate and head towards dusk then as spring creeps up again the dawn spell becomes the more productive again. Its a slow and gradual process and barely discernable from one day to the next I find.

I don't think the time of day is of much importance in the case of the perch. I think the primary governing factor is a low light level, which of course, more often than not, tend to occur at the two extremes of the day i.e dawn and dusk. On seriously overcast days I'd be happy to fish at any point during the day. Curiously enough, I still feel that perch are predominantly 'sight hunters', as darkness at either end of the day has produced no results for me with this species.

Pike in winter? Can't beat somewhere between 9am and 12ish for me.

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

Dusk in my opinion, it is easier to get up for!!!

True, but dawn is followed by many hours of daylight, ending in dusk ;)

In between you can fish for other stuff.

Get there for dusk and the following hours require bivvies, portable generators for the Realtree tv, mobile pizza vendors and other such horrors.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Dave, I know of your exploits with naturel baits, but not lures. If I had to choose between an evening session and a morning session during the summer I would rather go for the evening, and that is nothing to do with laying in! But during the summer I'm very much a lure only type. So, I'm wondering, maybe a static, naturel bait in the morning, when the pike are actively hunting, and a lure in the evening when the angler is actively hunting. Fanciful thinking, or is there a glimmer of a sound theory there? Just a thought.

Winter, yes, evenings if the beasties feed outside mid-day, or do you find the mid-day theory flawed?

As all ready said it does seem to me to vary from water to water,season to season and definately from species to species. As a generalisation I would have to say my experiences are as follows-

Perch- as Slodger says I think the light levels and changes in them are the all important factor no matter what the time of day.

Pike- (I only pike fish in the winter so cant comment on summer) I have in general found dawn far better for bait fishing than last knockings.

Bream- definately dusk in summer and autumn.

Cats- Although I have had some good sport here and abroad at dawn I would have to say that dusk is the most reliable time.

Most other silver fish - dawn in the summer and dusk in the winter

Carp-varies from water to water verey much dependant on many factors,angling pressure being just one.

Barbell- definately evening over dawn.

Tench- despite what angling tradition says about dawns I have found more waters where they respond better in the evening.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

For pike and zander, I'd say dawn is easily the best at any time of year. When I used to have the self discipline to do it, I would think it disasterous if there was more than the first hint of light in the sky when I crossed Downham Market bridge. The Relief Channel was often alive with rolling fish at that time, but it never happened at dusk. The only way I could be at the water at that time these days would be to fish all night.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.