Rod licances

mvwales

Steve;

is it common to catch salmon with course tactics? (as common as catching salmon can be)

as ive said its not something ive ever seen or read about.

Edited by kirisute

The worm is a traditional and effective technique. Prawns and lures too, obviously. They do sometimes get hooked by people trotting maggots, though. I think mostly people don't get to use coarse tactics on salmon rivers. I bet the Ribble produces a few accidental salmon, though.

The worm is a traditional and effective technique. Prawns and lures too, obviously. They do sometimes get hooked by people trotting maggots, though. I think mostly people don't get to use coarse tactics on salmon rivers. I bet the Ribble produces a few accidental salmon, though.

I did once, the River Eden when I went grayling fishing with Tigger a couple years back. No chance of hooking one during that weekend, they were jumping all around us mid-river (some were pretty hefty and gave me real fright) but would they ‘accidentally’ take trotted maggots? Nope!

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I think it's more about triggering a reflex predatory response in an animal which isn't actively feeding. I'm sceptical about the aggression idea, they are territorial before they run to sea, but they've spent most of their life grabbing whatever prey items come close to them.

was going to say: isn't salmon fishing based upon **** the fish off to such an extent that it snaps at the lure rather than getting any kind of feeding response?

........always use worms that have attitude problems..... ;)

After reaserching the ea bylaws for my area I am perfectly intitled to fish for salmon and sea trout with worm or spinner between 15 june - 15 september. I am not worryed about being frowned apon if I have a more affective method then they are obviously using the wrong tactics, its what you call being a smart angler. If you fish on a pond for carp and you have a fav rig and tactic that you know will work and catch you a bag of fish on that venue but you know another method wich is slower and you know its not as effective which method would you opt for.

Catching salmon on a worm is probably more traditional than on a fly. If the rules allow it (the fluff chuckers haven't got it banned on that bit of water) enjoy, but always read the rules. Even free water might have rules somewhere.

Often on waters that allow both coarse and game fishing one tactic (baits, floats, hook size, .....) is allowed for one but not the other. Fish (coarse or game) don't read the rule book, so if you catch the wrong species at the wrong time or with the wrong license, wrong bait, wrong tactic, wrong hook,......., you shouldn't get hung so long as you return it immediately, unharmed and don't persist at doing something that is clearly better at catching the wrong thing.

Static baits on the bottom don't tend to be much good at catching salmon. Anything with a bit of movement or flutter is much more likely to get snapped at.

• Like 1

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep