Lake or river over Winter?

Rice Crackers

OK so I'm an occasional angler but I've only recently got back into fishing properly. Last year was the most times I've been fishing in about 15 years. I've got the bug back and I'm loving it even if I feel like I've got alot to re-learn.

I've always fished during summer, I haven't fished in the cold since I was a kid but I'm missing the fishing so much I've just cleared it with the other half that I can go next Saturday. So my question is, river or lake? I'm guessing that a river would be a better bet because they tend to run a fraction warmer than lakes and the fish themselves tend to be little warmer as they need to keep moving.

Can anyone offer any advice? It's so long since I've done this I don't really know where to begin...

Cheers

RC

Once the temperatures start to get into single figures I usually stick to moving waters.

Fish in moving waters need to replenish their energy (by feeding) more often than their stillwater brethren simply because they are usually having to fight against currents using energy just to stay still; unlike their stillwater brethren who can remain fairly torpid once the temperatures start to drop.

Even in freezing cold temperatures; as long as the temperatures have been fairly steady for a few days or are starting to rise a little I am usually much more confident of catching fish in a moving river or stream than a Stillwater.

The only times I make exceptions to this rule is when I am going to fish a local stillwater which has several warm springs erupting from its bed or another stillwater that has a few sheltered bays which in winter Sun often become sun traps.

Keith (BoldBear)

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Also, bear in mind that in cold water a change of even 0.5ºC can make a difference - fish will seek it out - so look for an area that has reason to be even slightly warmer.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

river fishing is better option in winter but when you had the bad weather conditions like recently fishing lakes may be the only choice

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

Thanks for the advice everyone, and it more or less sums up what I was thinking.

Azrael, I took a walk round the area I'm looking at fishing yesterday and it was a raging torrent. Very high indeed and probably not practical unless the level drops a bit.

I prefer to fish the rivers, but stillwaters can still be good if you set your stall out for suitable species like perch, pike, roach. Also, winter is a good time to fish for the big fish - whereas in summer you might catch lots of smaller fish, in winter you're more likely to catch fewer but bigger fish of the same species.

A very broad generalisation, but it's basically true, and applies equally to rivers and stillwaters. If you do fish the rivers, the most obliging fish of all is the chub.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music