Guernsey Bass Management Meeting

guernseybass

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think We have frightened mr steve the bass fisherman off now, if he actually existed?????????????

It's a shame Stavey, He could have given me a rest.

I also would have been interested in what he ment by"bass fishery will be unsustainable within 5 years if the proposals go through as they are

now."

I fish to live and live to fish.

I think We have frightened mr steve the bass fisherman off now, if he actually existed?????????????

I also would have been interested in what he ment by"bass fishery will be unsustainable within 5 years if the proposals go through as they are

now."

I don't care what anyone says if they think there are more bass around than there used to be must be stupid and if they think that large numbers of 12" fish is healthy they must walking around with their eyes shut.

There is only one way to prevent overfishing and that is to stop fishing.

Leon - the articles you cited that deal with very low populations of several prey species on the US West Coast seem to have missed a very significant factor.

Many of the smaller fish depend on upwelling of very nutrient rich water that normally happens as part of the normal ocean water flow in that area and the large number of microorganisms that thrive on the nutrients.

The normal upwelling process has pretty much stopped recently. The whole thing is pretty cyclic and El Niño normally is the major controlling factor - at least it's the one people have figured out.

I'm guessing that the same issues that are raising concern about the current that pushes all that nice warm water up toward the UK are also affecting our west coast.

The whole topic is complicated way beyond my understanding but our fish problems may not have anything directly to do with people or with predation by bass and other top-level preds.

http://seagrant.oregonstate.edu/sgpubs/onl...ubs/g97008.html is a great 1997 study that any interested folks might enjoy reading. Otherwise, a google search for Pacific Upwelling Fish will bring up tons of information.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I thought Dr Pawson worked with Mr G Picket for MAFF now Defra, can any one elaberate?

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Also if the govement are only interested in the BMP for economic reasons then so what?

More 2.5lb bass on offer to anglers will increase the numbers goining our sport, this in turn will generate more money.

Yes there are more bass in our seas than ever before and I personly think if the spawning carry on being so good(and thats a big IF) then of course the fishery will be substainable when targeting 36cm bass.

But we only need a few years of not very good spawnings and bass will be right back on the brink again.

The real isue for myself isnt the number of bass, its the size of bass, so by increasing the MLS to 45cm there will be more 45cm for commercials and anglers alike.

At the moment the bass fishery is like a garden lawn, if its cut every Sunday to 3 inches the chances are that the garden will only ever have 3inch grass.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

I thought Dr Pawson worked with Mr G Picket for MAFF now Defra, can any one elaberate?

Only by saying that Graham Picket is also a Dr :)

now."

Yes, I was looking forward to hearing the logic behind that statement.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

So they are or were both paid by MAFF now DEFRA.?

Isnt DEFRA there for commercial fisherman?

There fore anything said by them could be said to favor the commercials side of the argument.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

So they are or were both paid by MAFF now DEFRA.?

Isnt DEFRA there for commercial fisherman?

There fore anything said by them could be said to favor the commercials side of the argument.

They are CEFAS scientists. They give their advice based on scientific evidence...............as they understand it. For example, they worked out the recommended mesh size for 45cm bass (105mm) by measuring hundreds of dead 45cm bass. I'd imagine that a live bass is more likely to get caught in a gill net than a dead one, especially if the net was rigged baggy. That is just one example of scientific evidence having little or no relationship with reality.

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.