bgi fish, then "ping"

scunnydelight

Ok, can anyone tell me whats going on here. have been to 2 differant ponds recently with some big carp in, and snaggy so I fished 10lb line straight through to a size 10/12 barbless hook. tied hook on using the grinner knot as I always do. have some carp out up to 9lb with no probs, then I had a bite which took me straight out to the middle of the pond which was snag free in the middle. (clutch set correctly) then before I had time to play the fish my line went ping :angry: , and the hook came off. I rehooked but this time wound the line down the hook shank 10 times to give it a better fix. The same thing happened latter when I had a fish on :angry: . I know they were big fish although i'm told the biggest at one pond is 20lb, but even with 10lb line on and the clutch set correctly, surely I should be able to play the fish, why would the hook just come off. Is my line faulty(it's a branded line and not a cheapy) or were the fish that big that it would not have mattered how I tied the hook to the line.

thoughts and solutions please.

thanks

Edited by scunnydelight

who cares what size it is, as long as it's a fish.

Same thing happened to me the other day, it was always the tie, same knot as I had always done.

With me, I had just changed my line from a 6lb to a 10lb, it was then I started getting the break off's, it turned out that the line I had bought didn't have the same knot strength as the old 6lb I had always fished with

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive

It's always important to look closely at the line following a break, a curly end usually means that the knot has come undone, a break caused purely by too much strain will usually appear to taper off at the end, a clean end that looks like it has been cut usually has been by something, if the last few inches of the line are rough then it's almost certainly been rubbing up against something.

If the break is nowhere near the hook but nearer to the rod then check all your rod rings for a cracked one.

I always test any new lines to destruction using a cheap spring balance, in this way you find out what's what before it becomes a lost fish. (Push the hook through a small piece of white card first and then you will be able to find it again after it flies off somewhere when the line breaks).

Try different knots, and test them, some lines are not suited to just any knot although the Grinner is usually reliable. BTW a true grinner is twice through the eye, lots of anglers miss that out. My favourite is the Palomar knot.

Guest old wrinkley

When you tie the hook make sure you wet the line just before tightening. If you don't then the line can overheat reducing the line strength considerably. A 10lb line can be reduced to 4lb purely by friction. Hope this helps

I agree with ayjay, palamor knots are the best for higher BS line imo, the turns on a grinner or water knot seem not to lie correctly above the shank. works fine on smaller diameter/smaller BS but as I choose a stronger line, I prefer a different knot altogether. Sounds like poor knot tying anyway.

As Ayjay says, what did the end of the line look like? Curly (knot came undone), rough (line rubbed on something and weakened it) or a clean cut (line cut on something sharp)?

Adding extra turns to a grinner won't make it stronger, and if you were winding line down the hook shank it wasn't a grinner anyway!

It's probably a dodgy knot. 10lb line takes a lot of breaking.

Here's a grinner: http://www.dorkingas.co.uk/Knots/Grinner%2...rinner_knot.htm

Tie it slowly and carefully, and lubricate it with saliva before tightening. This is the knot I use for all my big-fish fishing.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Guest tigger
As Ayjay says, what did the end of the line look like? Curly (knot came undone), rough (line rubbed on something and weakened it) or a clean cut (line cut on something sharp)?

Adding extra turns to a grinner won't make it stronger, and if you were winding line down the hook shank it wasn't a grinner anyway!

It's probably a dodgy knot. 10lb line takes a lot of breaking.

Here's a grinner: http://www.dorkingas.co.uk/Knots/Grinner%2...rinner_knot.htm

Tie it slowly and carefully, and lubricate it with saliva before tightening. This is the knot I use for all my big-fish fishing.

That's a uni knot. A grinner knot is How to tie a grinner knot video

Guest tigger
The names for that knot seem to be fairly interchangeable...

Or maybe you were just wrong :D don't worry old age comes to us all :rolleyes: