My Poor Boat

dutyhero

Look what happened to my boat last weekend.

My boat was on its running mooring . The stern line broke . The wind took it push it onto the harbour wall (sloped) where it rubbed the fibre glass off.

It was my first boat .

This weather sucks !!!

post-5821-1130956306_thumb.jpg :angry::angry::angry:

post-5821-1130956743_thumb.jpg

My poor boat !!

post-5821-1130956793_thumb.jpg

Ouch! :(

I don't know much about boats, but can it not be repaired?

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

burn it and learn to use proper mooring tactics,by the state of it and the amoungnt of weed its not looked after ,no sign of antifoul paint anywhere .

hopefully your next one will be looked after.

are you sure it was in saltwater theres not a barnacle in sight ,the beasts stuck to ours between having the antifoul removed and repainted the weekend after :huh:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Thats a releif at least!!

What is the opinion of others? is it repairable, may be better off with a new one!!

"Colonel Gadaffi, knows more about fishing than the whole of westminster put together"

Alex Salmond 2004 SNP Leader

"Forza Dons"

burn it and learn to use proper mooring tactics,by the state of it and the amoungnt of weed its not looked after ,no sign of antifoul paint anywhere .

hopefully your next one will be looked after.

are you sure it was in saltwater theres not a barnacle in sight ,the beasts stuck to ours between having the antifoul removed and repainted the weekend after :huh:

Hey...... dont beat about the bush chesters! :D Congratulations for not putting anti fouling on it, nasty toxic poluting stuff that.

Dan

Yes its repairable, but its a question of time and cost, I cant quite make out from the pics is that ply the support to the deck or is it double skinned?

You could do a cheap and ugly repair by glassing over the hole from the outside, or the best way would be to repair from the inside and fill the damaged are and re gel coat. But as said before to do professionally will prob write the boat off.

See what the insurance man says. You could always take the money, buy the boat back off the insurance company and get it repaired cheaply yourself, use the money left over to buy more tackle!

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

This is almost the same kind of damage to my boat, but not on the same scale. It is repairable but will take time :angry:

The insurence will probly right it off, but if you have the time it is repairable. :D so might be worth buying it back off them.

I am in the lucky position of having a fibreglass engineer working for me now, (he started after i repaired my boat) sods law.

As said above it will take time and you will need room to work around the boat. A normal car garage will probly be to small. The first thing required is the boat will need to be thuraly dryed out and turnded on to it's side. Two layers of couse fiberglass will need to be glassed on the inside of the boat and another two glassed on the out side.

If these instructions don't make sense you will have to excuse me as i've just got out of the pub

:blink:

That is after all the damaged glass has been remover with a sander/grinder. All cracks and weak point are included in this.

After this you can then start to build up the hull with ever decrecing grades of glass matting untill you are ready for the gell coat.

Just read that back and does not seem to make sence at all P.M. me if you want more help.