Etive Spurs

Spur-Hound

Well finally,I seem to have broken my recent row of jynxing. Fished at Loch Etive with Kenny from here and a couple of mates from my club. Was a slow start with a only a few dogs and whiting messing about, Probably more coincidental(considering the depth) The fish came on the feed as it got dark.

I was 1st to hook up. A very slow positive lurch of the rod had me moving quick resulting me sliping and flying onto my rear end. :D

As i wound down and hit, i just about flew back down again in amazement, as whatever on the end felt large. The rod was buckled right over, and thumping hard. I had it moving slightly off the bottom for a brief few seconds before it forced the issue and peeled line from a tight drag. After this i could only inch it very slowly along the bottom,it seemed to take forever. Rod still bent to my hands, it made some very interesting lunges, As i got it closer to the shore it started kiting way to my right, still feeling as though it was on the bottom. This was trouble as there was loads of ropes from the mussel farms in that direction. Now i was winding a fish from directly below me in over 100 foot of water, problem bieng the angle meant that i was rubbing ropes. I tried my best in hauling it directly up, It came about 40-50 foot, before literaly grinding to a hault. 10 minutes i stood there slackening off and feeling the fish run off for about 10 foot before stopping again, Then me winding back up until it went solid :( Eventualy i had to pull for a brake. I cursed myself for using a 3 hooked rig. That has got to be one of the largest fish ive hooked from the shore. Never have i been pulled around like that. It felt very ray like.....Who knows. But i felt sick after.

Anyway we had a flury of action soon after, with constant whiting rattles followed by the rod bouncing around. A few 4/5lb spurs each for Russel and Kenny as i missed 3 runs in a row. After half an hour of this. It went dead. Then half an hour after that, they came back again. I landed a very near 5lb Spur and the others did the same. We also got up a few grey gurnards, whiting, and poor cod.

Anther lull followed, but we where ready for when they came back, All the fish we had before where all in the 4-5.5 lb bracket, but the next pack of fish moving through seemed smaller. We managed to bring up 6 Spurs between us in that half hour, all around about 3lb. Our rigs came back with a few rather critical looking whiting, One just a large head, and another absolutely shredded. for the next hour we had quite a few of these smaller spurs each, and a couple more whiting and poor cod, including one icident where i braught in what i had thaught was an old line, Looked around to see if it was anyone elses, who all said no. I then tied it to my trypod, and sorted my rod out. I handlines in from 200 odd foot of water this lot just outof curiosity, and out popped a 1.5lb Spurdog, much to my amusement. It turned out to be kennys fish :o:D we packed up at around 10.30 PM. Just enough time for me to take one more leap into the air, This time falling 5 foot down a slope over a rock edge, Something tells me i should get a new charger for my lighhtsearcher, LEDs are good, but baybe i would have saved myself some pain. :P:D I certainly looked like a muddy pig. Not to worry, i had caught some fish :D

What a beautiful night it was, The water was like a mirror and the sky clear all night. The bright moon made the walk along the lonesome path bareable... I have some phtotographs to show you all, but i shall have to get uncle Norrie, or anyone else willig to resize them :D

Tight lines

Shaun

[ 20. March 2005, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: Spur-Hound ]

Tight Lines

Shaun

OK here is a few piccies for you (thanks kenny)

Kenny and Russel with some of the 1st spurs of the night...

Posted Image

Heres my 1st spur of the night, just a few oz short of 5lb :)

Posted Image

It doesent look like much fun bieng a whiting living in loch etive..... Posted Image

Shuan :)

Tight Lines

Shaun

Cheers folks.

Jabee..... Guess what rod i was using.... Well and truly christened :P It is my new baby :D

The fish i had on had no bother in doubling it over

Believe it or not that titan top was clean brand spanking new befire the session. But then again i did have to choose the muddiest slippiest stance.. Tis in the wash now :)

[ 20. March 2005, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: Spur-Hound ]

Tight Lines

Shaun