Ragworm Ball

Ken Davison South Wales

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So in everywhere in the UK at the start of a new(?) moon, about springtime, there are ragworms forming spawning masses!. Guess it might vary up the county.. Whats the temp your way in spring maximo? Could we pin down the particular nights and tides every year?! How would you take advantage of it in say a NE estuary instead of Poole harbour?

More info anyone please?!!!

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

• 1 month later...

Have been trying to find out if the American "Tube and worm" rig is designed to be a ragworm spawning mass. It seems that may be the case :

quote:

The tube and worm system has been around for a long time. During this time the line, the situation, and the methods used have changed slightly over the years. However the basic theory has not changed. The tube imitates a worm hatch that happens in most bodies of salt water around Cape Cod. Some at different times due to water temperature but usually during the early summer, early to mid June to early July in some places. These worms are a favourite food for both bass and bluefish. This first photo shows you how successful this lure system can be, especially in Cape Cod bay.
http://www.offshorepursuits.com/Articles/tube_worm.htm

Also a hatch of Neresis worms, fed on by striped bass, is mentioned here:

http://www.flyfisherman.com/northeast/ltes...ary/index2.html

quote:

The spawning of the Nereis worms occurs on new- and full-moon tides. The worms swarm on calm nights in June and July. Look for them at the mouths of creeks, along shorelines, and along sod banks out into open water.

During thick swarms, fish your fly below the worms; as with any thick concentrations of bait, your fly must stand out. During thin hatches, fish on or near the surface using a buoyant spun deer-hair-head fly in all black, red, orange, or red with a black head.

Anyone heard of any UK anglers working out the times of the hatches and targeting them? Must be a high value prey as the worms will be in maximum condition, just ready to spawn.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Hi Jaffa, the book is the best read you will get on Bass fishing, although now it is a bit dated.

Look for it 2nd hand on Amazon.

They mention mass migration of rag, if I remember, it was said that because of so many worms, millions, floating in the sea, it wouldn't be much good fishing , the fish would be gorging themselves.

It's a great book though, you can learn a lot from it.

Just looked on Amazon, they have it new for £13.96. It only comes in hardback

[ 10. April 2005, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: kentangler ]

Good site. Bass will soon be in. A lucky chap caught a nine and a half pounder last week on a beach near Dover.

I will soon be there! This year, I'm going to be much more experimental. One bait I am going to try is crab sticks. using a 4/0 hook, I'm going to slice one end about four to six times to give it a squid look, and whip the solid end to the shank of the hook with elastic. Might also add a mussel for fresh scent. A four foot trace, ledgered, two ounce lead,and flick it just into or just beyond the surf on nice breezy days. Big tiger prawns from Tesco as well. One thing you learn reading Hooked on Bass, is they are caught during daylight. I have caught two five pounders at 11am in bright sunshine. I think it's more about the venue, state of tide and correct bait than time of day although evening is good. I caught mine using fresh mussel freelined off the end of a short 15yd jetty in three feet of water.I made them jump when I first went onto the jetty, but still caught them when I went into stealth mode. Estuary Bass are shy. It's easy to tell if Bass are there, they make big splashes, mullet just cruise around.

[ 11. April 2005, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: kentangler ]