Winter Fishing

Jonathan Peter Levitt

I have heard people saying that there is not much point in fishing in the winter? what do other people think? im happy to fish what ever the weather.

It all depends on weather conditions, water temp, air pressure and light values!!!!!!!!!!!

Chub feed in just about any conditions althought on the right river Grayling are more obliging as long as the river is not in flood.

All species of fish can be caught on the right day and winter fishing is so much more rewarding as you have a good challenge on your hands.

Mild days are best with the afternoon being most productive as water temp increase's a little.

Try to pick a venue with a fairly even depth of 4-5 feet alround as the water tends to warm more quickly.

The north banks on stillwaters are said to be more sheltered from northerly cold winds and warmer surface water is pushed onto this bank by southerly or Sw winds which fish tend to follow.

Feed very sparingly, I tend to feed to bites.

For general fishing pinkies or dead maggots are great winter baits on tiny 20-24 hooks with light hooklengths fished close to or normally on the deck.

Once you find fish you can almost guarantee they will be in the area for most of the winter.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Oct - March is my Favourite part of the season - won't be doing much still water fishing unless it's unseasonally mild - but the rivers come into their own. Chub, Perch (& pike - though I don't target them as a rule) will be packing on the weight. Grayling are one of my favourite species and can be caught no matter how cold it gets. Get some good winter clothing - including a WARM hat - and get out there!!!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

the big thing to remember is that in the winter fish tend to shoal up somewhere, if you don't know where that somewhere is it doesn't matter how good your bait is or how fine your tackle if there are no fish where you are fishing you are not going to catch anything. Find out whre fish are can be daunting on a river, at least i find it hard going on rivers. on smaller still waters it can be less hard, as stated by rudd. This year though i am going to try to find the fish on the river stort, in the summner i catch lots but have not as yet found a really good winter hot spot on ths river. I like short sessions in winter and i am happy with a lot less than in the summer, i even tolerate blanks better and even the smallest fish caught gives me a great thrill.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

I LOVE winter fishing!

Canals are less busy with boat traffic and dog walkers.

Everywhere is busy with less anglers.

Fish are more hungry as food is more sparse.

I love Pike and they bite more.

I love perch and they seem to be around just as much.

The only fish that seem to disappear are the Chub and Tench.

Winter is by far the best. Less busy, hungrier fish and so long as you wrap up warm it doesn't matter what the weather chucks at you.

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

Chub don't disappear - in fact on a cold day they are one of the few fish who might oblige!! They may not be in the same haunts as the summer but in my book they are very much a winter fish! They are packing on weight and fighting fit too...

C

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Thanks for the correction Chris. I don't chub fish often, that was just going on memory from when I used to come across them in the canal in the summer but not in the winter.

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

I enjoy canal fishing very much. Locally, I can fish two canals where I can find depths upto 7 feet in one and 8 feet in the other. In the summer you can catch double figure nets of roach on squatt. Winter sees me switch to either caster fishing or bread punch. Either way, I'm catching. I have yet to work out why, but the Ide in the summer are about 1 1/2 lbs maximum, but in winter, I've seen them come out to 4 lbs.

I know a 10 feet deep lake with a silty bottom where I can catch tench all year round. In summer it's bedlam, in winter, I rarely see anyone. So, is it worth going in winter, you bet! You'll always be wondering what you're missing if you don't go. Do it.

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

My best catches of barbel have all come in the winter. November, December and February to be specific. Does anyone know whether we are getting winter this year?

At the moment it's still summer isn't it? Roses and even blackberry bushes are blooming round here and it's nearly 20 degrees!