Pike Attractants

Crackin Clax

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion yes they do.

Pike respond to a range of stimulants one of their most sensetive senses is their ability to track down a smell to its scource. If you can highten that smell and help to attract predators in then you increase your chances of catching them.

Depending on how you are fishing will determine which oil to use. Winterised oils are the order of the day as the water temperature drops and are good for up in the water fishing or for paternostered float bait fishing. Water soluble oils are good for on the bottom fishing as they can leach out of the bait and permeate around the fishing area. Some anglers like winterised oils as they eventually rise to the surface but depending on the flow river that can be many yards downstream creating a scent trail that pike can home in on.

You will recieve lots of contradictary advice about oils effectivness but my advice would be to try it and see and then make your own mind up. I trust and believe in oils as an addative as I've used the same method on different rods , one with oil and one without and the one with oil can often produce more fish and when the fishings hard and you need an edge you will find that oil can help you achieve it

In my opinion yes they do.

Pike respond to a range of stimulants one of their most sensetive senses is their ability to track down a smell to its scource. If you can highten that smell and help to attract predators in then you increase your chances of catching them.

Depending on how you are fishing will determine which oil to use. Winterised oils are the order of the day as the water temperature drops and are good for up in the water fishing or for paternostered float bait fishing. Water soluble oils are good for on the bottom fishing as they can leach out of the bait and permeate around the fishing area. Some anglers like winterised oils as they eventually rise to the surface but depending on the flow river that can be many yards downstream creating a scent trail that pike can home in on.

Pardon my ignorance, but what are "winterised oils". Thanks in advance :)

As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler. Izaac Walton

When using ordinary fish oils in the winter , the temperature of the water affects the consistency of the oil. The oil goes thick and does'nt spread effeciently in the water and the winterised oil has whats best described as an anti freeze in it to cope with the lower water temperatures to help it disperse in the water. Winterised oils cope well with low temperatures as they leach out of the deadbaits whilst ordinary oils tend to stay in the bait without leaching out

a freind uses various attractants whilst piking where as i tend not to and his catch rate is no better if anything not as good, he uses sensas predator plus (i think). My experience is that oils seem to be a pointless exercise as they float off and will not dissolve (unless winterised). My personal theory is that blood and juices are much more of an attractant. I do agree with brian that any edge on all but the least pressured venues these days can be essential.

This edge however doesnt have to invlolve oils but could be something as simple as bait size or presentation eg popped up.

Ive never found the use of additives,be they oils or bits of red plastic etc to increase my catch rates.Because of that my personal experiences have shown them to be a waste of cash.I much rather put my faith in good quality bait in the first place and puytting that bait in the right place!

That said just as many people have faith in oils so I will finnish by agreeing with Brians comment of try it for your self!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

thanks for your advice. i wil try to experiment as much as i can. i am fishing a new venue this saturaday and just wanted to know wether or not oil will give me that 'edge'. Thanks again.

The Clax Will Always Crack