Pike in deep water

Ken L

I will have an opportunity to fish a very deep lake for pike a couple of times over the summer.

The water drops steadily (and fairly steeply) down to about 30-35 feet so it's well outside my comfort rage as far as type of venue is concernd.

Fishing will be from the bank and as it sees a lot of fluff chuckers, there are no surrounding trees.

Features are very limited as much of the lake is concrete lined.

My fishing window lasts until the end of September and as I have no wish to distress the fish during hot weather conditions, I'm probably going to leave the sessions until the very end of the summer.

AFAIK, almost nobody has fished for the pike and it's unlikely to have been poached as despite being a largish water, it is heavily covered by CCTV.

Obvious aproaches include lures and a boyant deadbate attatched to a lead on a rotten bottom walked around a corner of the lake and very slowly twitched back.

Any thoughts on alternate aproaches (I don't think they'll let me livebait) or thoughts on where the fish are likely to be (depth, position relative to prevailing wind etc) will be much appreciated.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

there may well be very large pike in there due to trout on the menu. warm weather wont bother fish lying 30 ft + in the summer.

i often fish st marys loch in the scottish borders it drops of to 150 ft in many places,

tactics i use vary from lures to dead bait & even live minnow which is very good ,

i have often hooked pike in 50 ft water & boy is it a battle.

the pike will lie in the drop of point to ambush fish , when the wind blows all the food for trout blows with it , the pike will follow them too.

look for a build up of leaves & grime & below the surface trout will be waiting & even deeper will be the pike , but maybe not much deeper.

150_brown_trout1.jpg RECORD RIVER CAUGHT BROWN TROUT 7LB 5OZ

http://www.spinningluresuk.com

I would be tempted to use a drifter float with a dead bait, that should cover a lot of water and hopefully a lot of fish. I have found some structure on reservours using this tactic when takes have come from the same area as the bait drfits over. Latter casting around with a lead has revealed structure such as pipes, trench, thick weed beds etc on the bottom when I thought it would be a flat featureless bottom.

Plus if you do find a spot that has a feature its damn exciting watching the float drift over that spot knowing you have a decent chance of a take.

I have never had much luck fishing for Pike close in on reservour style waters, they always seem to come from a reasonable distance. As this water is concrete lined it might be the same.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Ken,

Pike are usually associated with vegetation - shallow weedy zones of attack. How are you going to approach deep water pike. I like this article

http://www.mepps.com/fishing-article/fishing-pike/9

Phone

Nice site, Phone ... browsing about and was extremely surprised to see that Mepps - and let's be honest here, with their pedigree, they SHOULD know just a little about lures ... actively promote / recommend certain lures within their range as being particularly suitable for carp! :D

Don't get me wrong, I KNOW that carp can be predatory at times - I've caught them on both lures and small deadbaits whilst targeting other fish, but I've never perceived them as a suitable target for lure fishing! I can see THAT little passtime going down particularly well with the carping fraternity within the UK! :clap:

Ken,

Pike are usually associated with vegetation - shallow weedy zones of attack. How are you going to approach deep water pike. I like this article

http://www.mepps.com/fishing-article/fishing-pike/9

Phone

Yep, I regularly fish rivers and comnparatively shallow lakes for pike and drop offs, the edges of weedbeds, slacks anywhere where there is a shadowl ine and all the rest are all second nature but 30 feet of water with no features to speak of has me a little intimidated. Are the fish likely to on the bottom? in midwater? somewhere on the slope favouring water of a certain depth etc?

Logic would also suggest that active summer fish will be where the trout are and that's likely to be where the wind is blowing in my face.

I was up there at the back end of last year and the level was way down and the biggest features were housebricks.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

No boats available to fish from and the lake is 500m x 300m.

philo,

Carp really aren't a suitable target for Mepps spinners. The practice of even TRYING to lure fish for carp could start another round of "treble, barbed, barbless" rhetoric. You know, thinking about it I don't believe I've ever caught a carp on a spinner - on purpose or by accident.

Phone

philo,

Carp really aren't a suitable target for Mepps spinners. The practice of even TRYING to lure fish for carp could start another round of "treble, barbed, barbless" rhetoric. You know, thinking about it I don't believe I've ever caught a carp on a spinner - on purpose or by accident.

Phone

Yep, no argument from me in this respect Phone - was just very surprised to find that part of their website!

That said, lure fishing for barbel is very common in mainland Europe, and would get you lynched in the UK! :hypocrite: