WEST MERSEA BOAT NICKED FOR 20 UNDERSIZED BASS

sam-cox

Sam... we used a standard gill net, he did try a trammel net once.. it caught everything and anything and was even less selective than the gill net and caught far more under sized fish.

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sam-cox:

... Anglers need to be polised more often and nicked when caught with even just one undersized fish, as do commercial fisherman, if polised properly there would be far less undersized bass taken.

Nope that logic is all arse about tit due to that lack of resources and the cost it takes to bring a prosecution let alone fully police the entire coast. The resources simply do not exist.

However, a preventative measure is always far better than a reactive one so maybe it is better thinking along the lines of should people have to take a test and have a certain degree of knowledge and a valid license before allowed sea fishing which can be revoked if not adhered to?

Discuss...

SandTiger:

Nope that logic is all arse about tit due to that lack of resources and the cost it takes to bring a prosecution let alone fully police the entire coast. The resources simply do not exist.

However, a preventative measure is always far better than a reactive one so maybe it is better thinking along the lines of should people have to take a test and have a certain degree of knowledge and a valid license before allowed sea fishing which can be revoked if not adhered to?

Discuss...

If they don't have the resources to fully police the entire coast, how could they enforce an Angling test???

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

I keep seeing this same argument time after time on this forum. I agree that some comercials are at fault and need to have the full weight of the law throwen at them. They know the laws of this land or should do, so if they break the law then bring them to justice, even if it means putting them out of a living.

As for anglers, we on this forum know the rules and laws, if we don't, hopefully we ask to find out. Lets be honest here, Not all anglers in the U.K. are on this forum, most have never even heard of it.Many wouldn't even know the size limits regarding any fish in uk waters. I don't know them all off by heart and have problely broken the law without even knowing it. From this forum we learn and understand things regarding angling. Just ask your self this Sam - If you were not on this forum or any other how much would you know?. I am not saying ignorance is an excuse but how do others find out about the law. Does a list of the rules come with the nice shiny rod and reel you just bought, I think not. Does your local tackle shop tell all anglers the laws of the land, no.

Anglers need to educated in a lot of cases, ranting and raving on here the way you do just puts peoples backs up. I think we all know that there is a serious lack of knowledge with in the fishing fraturnity but how is it put wright?

Things will change when the EA gets to be in charge - signs will be put up at fishing sites - like piers, slipways for boat launching, railings on seafronts etc - then there will be a general education push. Tackle shops will be targeted to put up posters with whatever regulations come in to force....etc.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Davy Holt:

If they don't have the resources to fully police the entire coast, how could they enforce an Angling test??? [/QB]

Ahhhh... In the same way a fresh water bailiff works, they can't fully police the all the rivers all the time but the principal remains that they can turn up and check that you are legally fishing on there waterway and this acts as a deterrent to a degree?

The point I was trying to make was that it *may* be far better to educate people in the first place about acceptable conservation measures then just nicking the odd angler for a few wee fish, given the expense in bringing a prosecution for what are deemed as low level offences are outweighed by their prohibitive costs in reality and just will never happen apart from the odd case…

At least I think that was the point :P

There was lots of synes on southend pier but they were torn down.

New comers to our sport do need educating as do fisheries officers, of which the one I met couldnt tell me of the laws regarding anglers selling their catches.He was not prepaired to nick the few anglers he found with undersized bass as it would cost to mutch and would probably be throwen out of court.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Maybe a fixed penalty is the answer. Just like litter louts.

I've just remembered about the vandals breaking things whilst on the pier. I reckon they should receive a £79.99 fixed penalty notice + pay compensation for severe emotional distress caused. :D

[ 13. September 2005, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: Sharkbyte ]

We need some serious deterrents, not slaps on the wrist. If this boat gets done good and proper - £10,000 and confiscation of the boat and gear then the newspapers will have a good story and hopefully it will start to sink in amongst the other "dodgy" fish landers - not just commercials. When there have been 3 or 4 serious cases dealt with in an unsympathetic manner - huge fines and loss of property - it will be seen that the risk is not worth it and the dodgy practices will be curbed - not stopped, but greatly reduced.

With a bit of luck these days are not so very far away.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Raising the spectre of the Sea Angling Licence there surely must be an opportunity to educate those who genuinely are unaware how important size limits are. Some will take this on board and of course others will completely ignore it.

100% enforcement of undersize catches is not possible, much like 100% enforcement of burglary and other crime, that's a simple fact of life in an imperfect world.

With that in mind, do you think a size limit list printed on any future Sea Angling Licence would be beneficial for those who CAN be educated? perhaps a free sticker (we've all seen them)with CM and Inches on it that you can stick on your tackle box would be a good move. A good campaign will make ignorance of size limits an invalid excuse.

Another of my personal annoyances is the amount of litter some Sea Anglers leave behind, or simply chuck in the sea. You know the stuff Ammo bags/ newspaper/ tissue/ line/ plastic bags/ food wrappers and plastic cups. It's not just half witted holiday makers, I've seen experienced club fisherman do all these and it's this sort of attitude which is saddening and needs addressing as I don't want to be associated, as an Angler, with such behaviour. The youngsters in a club will assume that this is accepted practice and carry it on too.

It's good to hear that the guy who took 20 undersize Bass was made to see that his actions were unacceptable, lets hope we see lots more REAL action to protect vital stocks.