New Gear

carpman2005

Have a look at Good fishing alarms for your alarms.

I got a great deal on two of their top of the range alarms, a sounder box, wiring and bobbins.

Belive me they are just as good as fox at an affordable price.

If you want a budget pod the Nash Outlaw goalpost type is the best.

I also have one of these and for around thirty quid they are a steal.

The rogue rods are ok but I prefer Fow warriors in theat price range.

Can't comment on the reels as I have never tried them as I rate shimano reels as the best.

Make sure your bag is big enough and has plenty of pockets so you dont have to root through gear looking for something.

I just picked up an XL wychwood barrow bag for 12 quid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its enormous and I can get enough kit in it for a four day session!!!!!!!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not so sure the Fox 'A' Pod is a good deal.

It's extremely basic - non-extendable for a start, and clumsy to set up by comaprison with other budget pods. As with any pod, you can only point the rod dead ahead - what if you want to cast at an angle? It leads to inefficient bite registration on bite alarms.

Why not use 4 or 6 bank sticks? At least you can point the rods in the direction and save yourself a lot of money

I have to agreed with Alan here because a mate of mine have one of the 'A' pod and you are very limited on what you can do with it.

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Using a pod will mean that you're likely to catch less fish. The reason is that you often can't point your rod at your bait. This creates an angle at the rod top that'll absorb small movements of the line. These can sometimes be hittable bites. Even if they aren't they tell you something's happening. Additionally, an angle at the rod top creates resistance that a spooky fish can feel, and which may cause it to drop the bait. Admittedly this happens more with species like perch than carp, but again it can cost you fish. Bear in mind that not all bites will develop into full-blooded runs.

The only time I'd use a pod rather than banksticks is when I've no choice such as on a concrete bank. Even then, I'd be more inclined to use mini-tripods.

For a field test of my choice of banksticks see http://anglers-net.co.uk/reviews/king01.htm

Turning to alarms, I agree with Rudd. Good Fishing alarms are very reliable and British-made. I've had mine for many years and can't fault them. What's more, they're very good value for money and post free to boot. They start at just £14.50 each for the GFv, that unlike the Fox Micron M also has variable tone control.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Turning to alarms, I agree with Rudd. Good Fishing alarms are very reliable and British-made. I've had mine for many years and can't fault them. What's more, they're very good value for money and post free to boot. They start at just £14.50 each for the GFv, that unlike the Fox Micron M also has variable tone control.

My point exactly Steve.

I honestly believe the GF alarms represent excellent value for money. As mentioned, the GFv alarm features a volume and tone control button. The Fox M has only a volume button. Don't be fooled, the GF range of alarms are extremely good quality and British made too.

Pods, I bought a pod (Shakespeare Cypry) it's the brushed aluminium with extending legs and length. Not bad on concrete banks and hard ground even if the buzzer bar was a little wobbly, but I would certainly recommend banksticks as it greatly widens your fishing options.

Personally I believe many people buy pods because they like the look of a set of rods set up neatly by the water! ;)

Get banksticks, they're far more adaptable.

I'm not so sure the Fox 'A' Pod is a good deal.

It's extremely basic - non-extendable for a start, and clumsy to set up by comaprison with other budget pods. As with any pod, you can only point the rod dead ahead - what if you want to cast at an angle? It leads to inefficient bite registration on bite alarms.

Why not use 4 or 6 bank sticks? At least you can point the rods in the direction and save yourself a lot of money

I've got a Fox Warrior pod, with front & back buzzer bars and a Fishrite carrying tube you can have for £35 + P&P @ £7.25 (or collect, I'm near Cambridge, St Neots area) All in good condition. New prices Pod = £69, Buzzer Bars £15 and Tube £10. If interested email me at pparfitt@cambrige.org

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

Thanks to everyone for your help. I think i am going to go with banksticks.

Also, what rod would you guys recomend, the Wychwood Rogue or the Fox Warrior?

The fox warriors are well worth what you pay for them.

You may even be able to get the original model for around 40 quid a rod.

The new model has a few added extras and a new look.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Also, what rod would you guys recomend, the Wychwood Rogue or the Fox Warrior?

That is entirely up to you, both rod makes are quite good

Edited by Andrew Burgess

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/