Stret Pegging

numes

hi guys ,

ive just seen this months IYCF magazine and saw the diagram for stret pegging and i think i'll give it a go the next time i go to my local river ,but could someone just explain the bite indication ,does the float go straight under or does it get pulled upstream or downstream ?

any help appreciated.

paul

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It gets pulled straight under, although it will sometimes bob a little prior to going under.

Takes do seem to be fairly dynamic. Much more so than a waggler.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Yep, you will definately know when you have a bite. Takes are usually aggressive. A great method that is very under rated and very little used these days

Is that what you was doing when you hooked that salmon :)

atb

malc

atb

malc

I've seen this in books etc but never done it, I just cant see how bites will be registered effeciently with a bow in the line or with the float laying on the surface.

Unless Im missing the whole point lol

Might have to find a good diagram and have a go!

I've seen this in books etc but never done it, I just cant see how bites will be registered effeciently with a bow in the line or with the float laying on the surface.

Unless Im missing the whole point lol

When the fish takes the bait there is no or virtually no resistance so takes are confident.

Paul

does the float go straight under ?

paul

Does the float go under ? Numes, if you get a bite when stret-pegging - very often you will hardly see the float go - you will have the rod almost pulled out of your hand!

I'm not sure just WHY so many takes are so savage - but they are.

Maybe three possible explanations -

1. Bow in line between shot and float allows a confident take initially, but once that bow tightens and the float goes under, the fish feels rod-top resistance and bolts

2. The overshotting may act as a mini bolt-rig - especially if the shot drags on the river gravel.

3. Or it may simply be that the fish sees/smells the bait, moves upstream to take it, then turns downstream to return to its original lie, feels resistance, and is already moving in the right direction to produce a rod-slamming bite .

These three explanations may not be mutually exclusive !

Answers on a postcard please ;)

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I cant see how an unshotted float laying on the surface can offer less resistance than a folat that is shotted so that only a very small part is showing above the surface......

Thats what confuses me................I'm going to go and do some looking up! and try it for myself asap, not that I dont belive people, I just cant get my head around it lol