Dungeness

five bellies

I used to buy the Angling Times and Mail back in the sixties and unless I am going completely bonkers and suffering a total lack of memory, Dung was almost world famous for large cod caught from the beach and many were twenty pounds plus.

Perhaps one of our more learned friends will have access to this information.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B)-->

QUOTE(Norm B @ Nov 28 2005, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:D Thanks Leon. :rolleyes:

nice one! see i believed ya honest

<_<:D

I used to buy the Angling Times and Mail back in the sixties and unless I am going completely bonkers and suffering a total lack of memory, Dung was almost world famous for large cod caught from the beach and many were twenty pounds plus.

Perhaps one of our more learned friends will have access to this information.

I was there mate, and they were rare over 20lb. The average Cod was around 7 to 10 pounds. with loads of 5 pounders. We use to catch around 100lb in about 4 hours. I myself never saw a Cod ove 15lb caught in years of fishing Dungeness in it's hey day.

We fished it every week, and 12 hours per session, dusk to dawn. Many a blank session even in those days of huge shoals of Cod. You would see the gulls going mad, working their way along the coast over the shoal. Then it would go frantic for three or four hours, a Cod a cast, all of ours on whitstable blow lug which we dug ourselves. Used to use 6 score each in four hours, stuffing 4 worms on at a time. It was so cold, the worms would freeze, and the Cod would freeze solid as soon as they hit the beach. You could walk on the shingle like concrete. Those funny little tents that anglers huddle in today when the temperature drops below 20C hadn't been invented. Just used to wear an ex-army parker and two pairs of jeans.

So no. I do not believe a 26lb Cod was caught in a water temperature of 13C, the present temperature, off Dungeness beach.

I am too experienced to believe such clap-trap.

Edited by maidstonemike

QUOTE(Norm B @ Nov 28 2005, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

:D I have just received a photo of a 27lb 2oz cod caught from the beach at Dungie. Unless it was caught by boat and brought ashore and posed it looks real enough to me. I also have a name and phone number. :rolleyes:

Posted on behalf of Norm

If that's a 27lb fish, I am father Christmas.

I was there mate, and they were rare over 20lb. The average Cod was around 7 to 10 pounds. with loads of 5 pounders. We use to catch around 100lb in about 4 hours. I myself never saw a Cod ove 15lb caught in years of fishing Dungeness in it's hey day.

We fished it every week, and 12 hours per session, dusk to dawn. Many a blank session even in those days of huge shoals of Cod. You would see the gulls going mad, working their way along the coast over the shoal. Then it would go frantic for three or four hours, a Cod a cast, all of ours on whitstable blow lug which we dug ourselves. Used to use 6 score each in four hours, stuffing 4 worms on at a time. It was so cold, the worms would freeze, and the Cod would freeze solid as soon as they hit the beach. You could walk on the shingle like concrete. Those funny little tents that anglers huddle in today when the temperature drops below 20C hadn't been invented. Just used to wear an ex-army parker and two pairs of jeans.

So no. I do not believe a 26lb Cod was caught in a water temperature of 13C, the present temperature, off Dungeness beach.

im probs gonna get banned for dis bt jus reading these posts has realli p*ssed me off

maidstonemike wtf do you know, you wanted pictures to prove it and when you got them you still dont believe it, wtf is your problem

you actually think you know everything, u prick

i really cant believe you, jus listen to yourself

jus get over it

Admin note:

Not banned probably but it would be nice if you avoided personal attacks in your replies since they never seem to accomplish anything and do tend to start slagging matches at times.

always look on the bright side of life

Ok lads lets put the handbags away ;);)

I have looked at the pic and the chap holding the fish does not look like a windup merchant.

The fish is a lunker and at least twenty plus.

eat.gif

Petals Florist

I was there to ! Many a cold night spent on Dungie beach...the Parka, the two pairs of jeans...what crap gear we used to wear ! :D

I used to fish at least once a week during the early 70's, but often three nights if a storm was around....it allways fished better during or just after a storm.

My best fish was a tad over 20lb, with others of 15,12 and 10lb......but the vast majority were 5-7 lb.

I saw many fish landed that were well over 20lb and some that must have been near the majic 30lb.

You had to put the time in and fish in the worst weather normally, but if they were in it was a fish a cast ( well sometimes !) :D

I see no reason to doubt the fish ....other than the fact, fish like that havent been caught for years...i hope it's real....might even dust off my gear again .....where's me Parka?

Dave ;)

Edited by Clouser

I had also heard this. I had heard there was an 18lber caught at Langney point aswell. STAVEY....what you heard?

Hi damo for what it is worth this year i have heard of, two of 13lb off the pier one 15lb end of bungallows pevensey and reported with picture in the local rag (i did'nt buy the paper last week so not 100% sure) an 18lber off langney point beach. these fish if all can be properly verified? are whats lef now, off of the wrecks off eastbourne they allways apear this time of the year come in close to feed up for a few weeks then pis* off to spawn as you know, rare as rocking horse dung to catch but maybe one or two may be legit? as far as i know there is no sign of a proper codling run this year yet again! last one almost ten years ago so keep your fingers crossed for this cold weather to continue up until the end of feb and next year or year after we may see a decent run? we are due as the these cycles seem to run in periods of ten years, after all this said my rods will still stay in the shed until the middle of april cheers..............

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

"Don't go off in a huff though".

I didn't go off in a huff. I went off to work.

I appreciate you have to take catch reports with a large pinch of salt.

My info came from somebody who was on the beach when the fish was caught. Like I said, if I didn't believe it, I wouldn't have posted.

My best fish was a tad over 20lb, with others of 15,12 and 10lb......but the vast majority were 5-7 lb.

I saw many fish landed that were well over 20lb and some that must have been near the majic 30lb.

You had to put the time in and fish in the worst weather normally, but if they were in it was a fish a cast ( well sometimes !)

I knew my memory was not that bad ;):D Dungeness was a mecca I never reached during that period.

Hurst Castle and Chesil were my best shots and even though I never made headlines I did have a few good codling.

Used to catch a few from the Bournemouth bay beaches, Scotty would know if they still put in an appearance now days.

eat.gif

Petals Florist