The Taste Of A Hook

Gaffer

I've mentioned this before, though not on here, but has anyone put any thought into the taste of the hook?

Bear with me on this. ;)

I remember, as a kid, going round to my nan and grandad's house and having tea there. As a youngster I would struggle to use their large cutlery and remember vividly the 'tingly'/'metalic' sensation that the cutlery made on my tongue. It was more of a sensation than a taste. Does everyone know what I mean by that? What causes it? :huh:

Anyway, if we can taste/feel/sense the metal, then so can a fish taste/feel/sense a hook, surely?

Could some hooks be worse than others?

Could we be changing hook patterns thinking that's there's a problem with it's hooking ability, when in actual fact the hook is being ejected by the fish because of its taste/feel/sense, etc?

Any thoughts? :unsure:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we have to accept that fish, along with other 'animals' have differences senses to our own 5! So, really we can never begin to understand them because of our own limitations and are therefore beyond our comprehension.

We know that, for instance, a carp will learn by association. By watching carp feeding with their 'suck and blow' action, it can sometimes be seen that they are testing out whats in front of them. This is more evident on more pressured waters; on a water that has seen little or no angling pressure they appear less cautious!

As you rightly say, it could well be the 'taste' of the hook that they are wary of? This would make sense as they will know something is different about the hookbait as opposed to the freebies scattered around. On the less pressured water, they would have nothing to fear from this 'metallic taste'.

Perhaps teflon coated hooks or hooks that are masked in some way may help? Some anglers find success on pressured waters by covering much of the hook with for instance, imitation bloodworm. I had previously considered their success down to trying something different, but perhaps it really is the fact that the taste of the hook is masked?

Very thought provoking thread mate!

;)

Whats that profile piccy all about then - you some sort of Hong Hong Fuey bloke or somefink?

I had better behave meself then! :blink:

I've mentioned this before, though not on here, but has anyone put any thought into the taste of the hook?

Bear with me on this. ;)

I remember, as a kid, going round to my nan and grandad's house and having tea there. As a youngster I would struggle to use their large cutlery and remember vividly the 'tingly'/'metalic' sensation that the cutlery made on my tongue. It was more of a sensation than a taste. Does everyone know what I mean by that? What causes it? :huh:

Anyway, if we can taste/feel/sense the metal, then so can a fish taste/feel/sense a hook, surely?

Could we be changing hook patterns thinking that's there's a problem with it's hooking ability, when in actual fact the hook is being ejected by the fish because of its taste/feel/sense, etc?

I would say that what you were experiencing was an electrolytic reaction(?) with that cutlery. Either something your grandmother was using in her cooking or perhaps in your saliva. If you touch a new filling with your fork, you might experience the same sensation again. Even a bit of tinfoil stuck to a piece of chocolate can cause it.

I have to say that even after hours of unproductive fishing I have never felt that I have failed to catch because of the fish tasting my hooks. If a fish rejects a hook/bait when it has taken it, then I would accept that my presentation was at fault.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

I do remember the taste of old style cutlery, as Gaffer does. But, with the advent of stainless steel, that is a thing of the past.

Possibly it is a factor, but rather less, I would suggest, than human smells on the baits. In most cases the hook is minimal in size in relationship to a fish's mouth, unlike a spoon in a human's mouth, even Gaffer's!

Bear with me on this. ;)

Sorry the hook should be in the fishes mouth before he has had a chance to taste it and hooks aren't made of tin.If you are that worried buy some hook skins.

atb

malc

atb

malc

But if the fish is aware of it prior to sucking into the mouth, its not going to take it in is it? And thats the whole point!

If a carp was aware as you say of a hook before sucking it in its not going suck it in to taste it is it.

Would not the bait mask the taste if the hook.

Personaly i just think some people make things difficult for themselves. :blink:

atb

malc

atb

malc

I mentioned above our limited 5 senses! Try going beyond what taste means to you MALC2. Gaffer is obviously a thinking angler - always looking for that certain edge that will fool the specimen fish, be it carp or whatever!

Are you a specimen angler MALC2? Or are you happy fishing for pasties from an overstocked puddle?

If the latter, then I can understand your answer! :rolleyes:

I tend to agree with Malc (erm no matter where he fishes or what for).People over complicate things far to much.Reading problems into things that dont exist.Carp angling is especially rife with it.

Too many hours spent inactive on a bed chair with nothing better to do? Just another excuse for not catching? Another attempt to raise the carp (and therefore the carp anglers) status? or just looking for that edge? I dont know but I do feel that most would be better off addressing and perfecting some of the more basic skills first!

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!