The Taste Of A Hook

Gaffer

I only post on threads where I disagree with something that is posted, and where's the harm in that?

Well, I suppose the harm might be that people would end up viewing you as purely contentious and confrontational?

Why not add some advice where advice has been requested, or put questions of your own, or tell us some entertaining stuff about your last fishing trip?

Cheers B)

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GlenB read my posts elswhere on this forum chap! If I feel qualified to help, I will.

By the same token, if I feel someone has made a sweeping statement, then I will question it so that said person can give reasoned argument to back said statement!

Some people are too busy jumping on the bandwagon, or will say something without qualifying.

For example in answer to the question: "what is the best pod?", someone may answer "the x-pod". But that answer is no use to anybody! Do you see what I mean? But if that person said, "the x pod because x,y & z, then that person has explained why.

People can view me how they like mate, I don't really care. Contentious and confrontational? Thats up to you? Or am I trying to get people to think a bit more about what they are saying?

I think anglers of all different ability post on this site and most would be put off by the likes of "THE MARGIN" he would be best posting with like minded anglers on the carp site,people who sit and wait for something to happen rather than doing something to make it happen. :rolleyes:

atb

malc

I think anglers of all different ability post on this site and most would be put off by the likes of "THE MARGIN" he would be best posting with like minded anglers on the carp site,people who sit and wait for something to happen rather than doing something to make it happen.

atb

malc

I think anglers of all different ability post on this site and most would be put off by the likes of "THE MARGIN" he would be best posting with like minded anglers on the carp site,people who sit and wait for something to happen rather than doing something to make it happen. :rolleyes:

atb

malc

atb

malc

Back to the original question............................ ;)

Can't see it myself. The whole idea is to get your hook into the fishes mouth, by which time it is usually hooked and whether it can taste it or not is irrelevent. And how many times have we seen, or had the impression, that a hooked fish hasn't actually known it is hooked until you've put pressure on to it.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

And how many times do we see BIG carp shy away, because they something is wrong? Many times! but we usually assume its something to do with the rig, the way the bait moves in the water or whatever, however, it copuld just be that Gaffer has hit on something here! Don't be too dismissive chaps and have a think about it. ;)

I have thought about, and I dont really care, its bad enough worrying about every thing else regarding my teminal tackle without the added anxiety if the hook is the right flavour. I think we are all getting a bit 'twitchy' due to this cold spell...but hey theres a warm front coming in this week-end and we can all get back to lovin' each other again :D

All to-gether 1.2.3

There coming to take me away ha ha (repeat)

Strangely enough, Dave, my slightly tongue in cheek comments are based on fact. As kids we used to stretch cotton between two empty tins, they made effective 'walkie talkies'! The noise that travels down the line is quite loud, and I'm not as well equipted to hear sound under water as a fish.

Me abuse carp? Never! Only the dreaded 'crap yobs'!

I call it the telephone effect and belive I have seen it happen (posted somewhere on AN) on a few occasions.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

With regards to Gaffers post.

I have just read an old Jan 2000 edition of carpworld, thats right the one with pictures of a pi$$ed up Elton in a piece by Rosie Barham (remember sleeping on the path in your bag cause you could not open the bivvy elton?).

Anyway, a very well respected carp angler, think it was the editor Tim Paisley wrote a bit about anti tangle tubing and how carp keep't away from one unnamed brand of the tube due to what he and others thought was the smell of the material it was made from.

They done tests and got runs on rods with OTHER makes apart from the unnamed one.

How may rig bits are made from plastic or rubber?

Both of these materials are made from forms of oil.

I wonder how many smells we cannot pick up but fish can?

With this in mind Gaffers thinking on hook taste is more than possible.

Think about it, we now have teflon coated and other coated hooks along with CHEMICALLY sharpened hooks - WHAT CHEMICALS?

There must be residue from them on the hooks.

Also bear in mind your own and other scents get on tackle and bait.

Thats why I try to touch bait as little as possible and use additives such as braddocks to hide my scent.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!