Commercial Predator Lake?

JBee123

Fill with Pike,Perch, Zander and moggies plus some others(food fish). Could be fun.

Anyone thoughts on this? Still I suppose it kind of defeats the object, overstock a lake with predators and you eventually end up with less big predators.

I know they do something similar in the states, wondered if anyone had given any thought to it.

Might even be nice to see some of those american bass in our lakes, would be good sport.

anyone any ideas.

Thinking out loud really.

Dont know what the EA would have to say about bringing in non-native species.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a few around - only problem is that predator density is largely determined availability of prey. This is why stocked trout reservoirs often have big pike in them - stocked to unrealistic levels so predator abundance goes up (and they attarct cormorents for the same reason).

I think most "preadtor fisheries" are basically trout stocked puddles with pike in them. Another problem is that big pike tend to drop dead quite often if they're roughly handled, so once these places get popular they tend to run out of big pike quite quickly.

Not my idea of an attarctive place to fish at all, but they do exist.

There was one such predator pit near Peterborough, I think. It was stocked with pike removed from trout waters. Personally I would never fish such a place. Like Lakeside is to shopping, predator pits are to angling, hell on earth!

The one near Peterborough was at Baston Fen, although not one of the lakes in the now closed Baston Fen Fisheries. I thought it was actually a disgrace to put so many big predators into what was virtually a puddle. I am happy to say that it soon fizzled out and I only hope that the fish were rescued and put somewhere that could sustain them.

Edited by Peter Sharpe

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Know of only one that could be classed as a "Commercial" predator lake although there are a couple of waters that are run with a bias towards predators.

The water in question was stocked with all the unwanted pike from various culls,after all everyone wants to buy 20's and 30's to stock but no one wants the smaller fish.No additional food fish were stocked.The fish died off quite quick but were always easily replaced.Catching them was very easy as there wasnt much else for them to eat.A local well known pike angling tackle dealer was a regular there and praised the place to the hilt.What a wonderfull fishery eh..................................

Fortunately the owner (a non angler incidently) started to see it for what it was and pulled the plug on the project.

Pike cant take repeated capture like carp or cats and any high pressure "commercial" predator water is doomed to fail and will always be in my mind a disgracefull disrespect for a fine species.

Now people who have their own lakes/lochs/loughs/reservoirs stock them full of trout (which they can get fly fishermen to pay for) and run them with the pike upermost in their mind are a different story..... the only "managed" predator water I would ever want to fish.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!