Summer Piking

PIKE

Steve, you refer to Fisheries manager and managed waters. What about public waters? As much as I hate to admit it, I am sure that a return to the old October start would be in the best interests of Broads piking.

Edited by Peter Waller

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a shame Steve :( I am surprised that ther isnt any big ones as im sure knowing you that it will be a thriving coarse fishery.

I guess you are still targetting big perch Steve, I dont know if its an option, but you would do well up my neck if it wasnt too far for you to travel. Loch Ken has for the last few years produced as many 2lb Perch as you could wish for and also plenty of 3s and even 4s from time to time. Its not uncommon to catch half a dozen or se 3lb plussers in a day if you know where to fish. If you are interested let me know mate and I will help you out as best I can.

What old season was this then? I dont remember one in the Northumbria area when I was a kid or in the old Southern Water Region and I have been here for twenty years.

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

There was a traditional pike season in many parts of the UK at one time. October to March was generally it. On the Broads I vaguely remember it being dropped back in the 1960's but I could be wrong, 'cause I only ever lure fished for perch back then. Part of the reason that it was possibly dropped was the inability to police it. 'No gov, honest, I was after perch' being the usual answer when questioned.

So, no more heart stopping lunges at surface lures. No more walking the river changing tactics for each peg to target whatever's likely to be present, whether it's going to perch, chub or pike.

Instead we have a totally unworkable ban that can be got arround with an ounce of thought - "no mate, I'm not after the pike, I'm trying to catch perch/zander/chub/trout but all I keep getting are essox".

Better to leave well alone.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Thats a shame Steve :( I am surprised that ther isnt any big ones as im sure knowing you that it will be a thriving coarse fishery.

I guess you are still targetting big perch Steve, I dont know if its an option, but you would do well up my neck if it wasnt too far for you to travel. Loch Ken has for the last few years produced as many 2lb Perch as you could wish for and also plenty of 3s and even 4s from time to time. Its not uncommon to catch half a dozen or se 3lb plussers in a day if you know where to fish. If you are interested let me know mate and I will help you out as best I can.

Thanks for the offer - looks an interesting prospect. Too far for me though I'm afraid! Apart from holidays I've never been a traveller as far as fishing is concerned. I'm not a specimen hunter in the same way as some of my friends - almost all of my fishing over the years has been within half an hour of home.

Less specimens perhaps, but more time spent fishing! :)

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Fudgie

We used to Fish Loch Ken for Perch when I was a teenager back in the early 1970's.

They used to come out along the road bank is this where you still catch them? used to be some nice fish out of the Town Loch in Loch Maben as well, is this still the case?

Tony U

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I fish lures a lot in the summer. I'd be very slow to support a compulsory Pike season. As long as the fish are looked after when put back, there shouldn't be a problem. Extra care needs to be taken with gravid fish caught in the early part of the year, so I avoid spawning areas, when I know where they are.

However, if a fishery owner wants to avoid pike being caught deliberately at any time of the year, by not allowing pike fishing at all, that's up to him, as it should be.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org