Summer Piking

PIKE

:o Does any one think that we should go back to the old season for pike ? For the younger members that was the 1st of october to 14th of march

Ian Flynn

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the sake of the pike, maybe.

For the sake of anglers, probably not.

Its not summer piking that is the problem, its anglers themselves.

What is acceptable in the winter may not be acceptable in the summer.

Perhaps a compromise might be a ban on the use of more than one rod in the summer months.

'Yes, lots of people who like to fish for other species in the summer and want the pike all nice and virginal for them in the winter.'

Gulp! Guilty, and rumbled, all in one setence.... :unsure:

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

I believe the situation should remain as it is - in other words up to to the individual fisheries to decide rather than a national law.

In fact, I'd fight such a proposal tooth and nail. Regulars will know I rarely get fired up by anything, but I get fed up to the back teeth with people telling me how to run my fisheries! :angry:

I'd add that my syndicate members are not allowed to fish for pike at all. This is to protect the pike so that the predator/prey balance isn't upset. I take the occasional guest, mostly in the winter, and by doing so I can monitor the balance. Additionally, in summer the only piking a guest can do is with lures.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Im 100% with yoy on that one Steve. (wonder if he will invite me as a guest )

:D

I am also developing my own water and I wouldnt want legislation telling me when I can or cant fish it. As MrWaller said "Its not summer piking that is the problem, its anglers themselves." Nail on the head.

Im 100% with yoy on that one Steve. (wonder if he will invite me as a guest )

:D

I am also developing my own water and I wouldnt want legislation telling me when I can or cant fish it. As MrWaller said "Its not summer piking that is the problem, its anglers themselves." Nail on the head.

No pike big enough to interest you I'm afraid. There's a fair few of them though to maximise the growth of the fodder fish.

Good luck with your venture though.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net