Garfish

Guest Josh Iddon

has anyone tried garfish section as pike bait? it was just a passing thought that it may be a good pike bait,

if not do you think it may be worth trying?

Edited by josh

Ive used them a couple of times and didnt find them to stand out from other baits but i did catch a few small pike on them. Someone mentioned Sand Eels might be a good bait, well if any of yous ever fish in Scotland I can tell you that there isnt many baits to beat launce eels. a superb casting bait which also gives you a brilliant hook up ratio.

Edited by Mc Fudge

yes josh garfish baits will catch pike, i dont bother with them personally having had poor results, sandeels are a decent pike bait, nev fickling rates them as a good drains bait, i prefer them in lakes and ponds popped up.

I have caught pike on a pouting fresh from cornwall anlong with whiting and small pollack, not significant tho cos that day i caught pike on seven different baits, used pout and pollack since with again poor results. maybe inferior to oily and natural baits as low oil but nothing like a roach or even a smelt!

I really rate garfish - but can't get a regular supply of them. A 'well known bait supplier' said they were rubbish because he couldn't get a good supply of them and would rather sell stuff he could obtain easily... I know because I asked him if he could get me some!

I have found, though, that they appear to work really well on some waters, but not on others. There have been days when they have outfished other baits for me.

Launce, on the other hand, have never done me any favours.

Dave

dlstsig.png

I really rate garfish - but can't get a regular supply of them. A 'well known bait supplier' said they were rubbish because he couldn't get a good supply of them and would rather sell stuff he could obtain easily... I know because I asked him if he could get me some!

I have found, though, that they appear to work really well on some waters, but not on others. There have been days when they have outfished other baits for me.

Launce, on the other hand, have never done me any favours.

Coalies are a good bait for pike, tough and usually easy to get a hold of if you know someone that sea fishes.

They come in a good size as well.

Ive used them a couple of times and didnt find them to stand out from other baits but i did catch a few small pike on them. Someone mentioned Sand Eels might be a good bait, well if any of yous ever fish in Scotland I can tell you that there isnt many baits to beat launce eels. a superb casting bait which also gives you a brilliant hook up ratio.

dito on that mc fudge, do a lot of boat fishing for pollack, use live sandeels for bait most times any that die i usually freeze them down had 3 or 4 good twenty,s on them :):)

Used Garfish several times after finding it a good conger bait.Didnt think it was any different to my usual baits on the waters I fish.Would imagine it to be a good "change" bait on hard fished waters.

Dont rate whiting/pouting etc in fact any of the non oily sea fish.Once again ok as a change bait but not my first choice.Once arrived at a local MKF water to find a load of small dabs in the margins! Good tope bait (dont know why) but dont think I will bother trying them.

Launce/sand eel,used them for ultra long range casting at Abberton,caught on them but other than their casting properties didnt think they gave any other advantage.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!