Photo Of The Day.

Guest Ferret1959

Been a while since I posted pictures on here. Ah well here it comes,photography and a history lesson. Are you sitting comfortably? On the drive over to our caravan the route takes us parallel with Hadrians wall. On the last trip we decided to stop and have a stoll around the wall,cameras in hand.

Here is a very brief history of the wall to the uninitiated -

Hadrians Wall is ancient Roman stone and masonry wall, 119 km (74 mi) long, about 6 m (about 20 ft) high, and about 2.4 m (about 8 ft) thick, traversing Great Britain from Solway Firth to the estuary of the Tyne River. Built about ad 121–26 by Emperor Hadrian of Rome to protect the northern border of Roman Britain against hostile tribes, the wall linked a series of heavily garrisoned forts and fortified sentry posts. It also demarcated the frontier of Roman civil jurisdiction. A military road ran along the south side of the wall; parts of it are still standing.

Here is a picture of the wall itself

stones26.jpg

We also stopped at Chesters Fort for a couple of hours. It was one of their major garrisons on the wall. Here are a selection of shots I took there.

1-123.jpg

2-101.jpg

3-86.jpg

4-74.jpg

They had a better central heating system 2000 years ago than some of us have now !!!!

John

Edited by Snatcher

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Nice one John. I've never visited, but I will make a point of getting there soon.

Good to have you back!

I've been working on my macro photography this week....

SS855080.jpg

SS855099.jpg

I'm finding it extremely difficult to get the whole of the subject in focus - if only there was a way of getting bees to be less busy! (and how do you get them to face the camera and pose?)

Janet

Edited by Janet

Great photos Janet :)

John

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Cheers John! I must have taken about 50 shots to get two that I was happy with! This photography thing isn't as easy as it seems....!!!!

This is my favourite from our narrow boat trip last weekend...

REFLECTION.jpg

The goose kept attacking its own reflection in the water....

Janet

Just messing around with E7....

HOVERFLYcopy.jpg

I know it's very basic, but I've bought a book "The Missing Manual", and I'm just working my way through it slowly, trying all the different things whilst I feel my way around it.

Incidentally, I'm still not happy about the quality of the pictures that I upload from Photobucket! It looks far sharper on my screen than it does on the forum....

Janet

Edited by Janet

Janet love your photo of the fisherman :) Will stick on a few more random shots from my last stint over at the caravan.

This first one is of my mate Pete on our veranda. He brought his bird watching telescope up to our caravan one evening when Luce Bay was like a mirror. Within a couple of minutes he had picked out a basking shark. Thats the first one I had ever seen. We seen another 3 that week. Great stuff

1-131.jpg

The next is a walk we done at Torrs Warren,it borders onto MOD property as can be seen by the warning sign !!!

2-107.jpg

1-127.jpg

This is a timber structure on the beach at Cailiness,the remains of a boat I take it ?

1-128.jpg

On the way back home we drove through the Galloway Forest and I just had to photograph this otter

1-129.jpg

Also got this red kite on the way back

1-130.jpg

John

Edited by Snatcher

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

P1000144-1.jpg

i dont know if i had it on the right setting but am having fun trieing to get to grips with it

cant seem to get the back ground as clear as the foreground any idea's :wallbash:

Edited by chef