What Firewall?

Lid

I've just received a shiny new custom built PC to replace my ageing 1998 Windows 98 model. Now as I understand it my win98 system was pretty safe from external attack, but I've heard that as soon as I connect my new XP Pro machine to my (NTL) broadband connection I'll receive all sorts of 'gifts' and attacks. So what firewall should I use please?

I don't want to load the old PC up with something like Smoothwall as the whole idea of the new PC is it is virtually silent. However I am willing to use a small piece of unobtrusive silent hardware if this recommended.

Thanks.

Edited by Lid

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NickInTheNorth

Probably best to get hold of an cable router with a built in firewall. Netgear do them, as do dlink and probably others. Probably pay around £50 to £60.

Much safer than a software firewall.

But smoothwall is very good... :D

I use NTL broadband with a cable modem. Does anyone know if there is a combined cable modem and firewall I can get to reduce the clutter, etc?

Guest NickInTheNorth

Hi Lid

The router does the same job as a modem, and has the firewall built in. I wouldn't swear to it but I don't think you'll find a modem with built in firewall protection

here's one example.

Lid - I agree with Nick but for now, if you have XP SP2 (service pack 2) loaded as a new PC should, a good firewall is part of that and should be active when you get the machine.

The XP firewall only protects against stuff trying to force itself in where the commercial stuff also blocks stuff trying to sneak out but FWIW, I only run the XP firewall and a router that uses NAT (too old to have firewall built in) and have stayed safe. It will at least do you as in interim solution.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Lid!

I have a Thompson Speedtouch 510 series router (with built in firewall ) and Panda internet security 2005 which has it`s own fire wall ....................................nowt but nowt gets through these two.

Brian

(avatar is a 171lb common skate )

caught onboard "Catchalot" with Davy Holt

Guest NickInTheNorth

My personal opinion is that software firewalls are fine for dial up type connections. For the "always on" type - cable adsl etc I believe a hardware solution of some description is vital.

It provides for a degree of physical seperation between your pc and the internet.

Like you Colin I am auser of (and huge fan) Kerio, and also liked sygate. Sadly symantec have bought and killed sygate and as you say kerio is on the way out. Quite what software firewall I'm going to use in the future I'm not yet sure. It won't be zone alarm however, I've just never got on with it.

I am however experimenting with Ubuntu Linux, and like what I have seen so far, so may well ditch windows altogether for any internet connected PC's.