What Firewall?

Lid

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NickInTheNorth

pretty happy with my test results:

Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way. Very nice.

Hardware firewalls are better if they offer the features you want. Full stop!!

Better = much faster at evaluating and acting on internet traffic packets. However, unless you are on a large network, you probably won't notice the speed increase since good software firewalls are pretty fast.

Better = not open to attack by virus critters. It is possible for a virus that manages to sneak in (and some are written to do just this) to silently disable your software firewall and AV programs so that they appear to be working fine but in fact, are doing nothing but running.

Routers doing NAT help safeguard your network (one PC to many PCs) by virtue of the way they operate. If you want more info in laymans terms, take a look Here for a short piece I wrote for another forum.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

ZoneAlarm pro As good as you'll get

ZoneAlarm Pro

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

Hi Nick,

I am however experimenting with Ubuntu Linux, and like what I have seen so far, so may well ditch windows altogether for any internet connected PC's.

Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way. Very nice.

Do you use any software firewall with Ubuntu?

My standard Ubuntu installation "fails" at firewall test sites, as it shows that the ports are closed but not "stealthed" . My win2k and previous Suse installations both passed with flying colours; fully "stealthed" .

I spoke to some of the techheads on the Ubuntu IRC channel and they told me it was nothing to worry about ..... :unsure:

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers,

Chris.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Guest NickInTheNorth

Hi Chris

I don't currently run any softare firewall on Ubuntu, however I get the same result. That is because I am behind the router/firewall, and a dedicated smoothwall box.

I only run software firewalls on the windows boxes as they are far more prone to getting nasty critters on them when my wife and kids allow all sorts of junk to install. At least I then get warned if anything unauthorised tries to send data out.

If you happen to have an old PC lying around idle I can highly recomend smoothwall!!

I would also say that the techheads on IRC are pretty well correct, the fact that the ports are closed but not stealthed is no huge concern, particularly on a linux system.

Open ports on windows systems are what you want to be careful of.

Edited by NickInTheNorth

I have just run that firewall check and i failed on this

Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) — Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet. Most personal firewalls can be configured to block, drop, and ignore such ping requests in order to better hide systems from hackers. This is highly recommended since "Ping" is among the oldest and most common methods used to locate systems prior to further exploitation.

Should i be worried and does anybody know how to stop people pinging me with zone alarm pro :unsure::unsure: .

I also run usenet for downloading will it have anything todo with that as when i installed it i think it opened up a port to use.(not sure what it meant but i agreed anyway).????????

Edited by paul mc
Regards Paul Mc