Sea Angler Charges Bmp Post Removed?

sam-cox

Guest Feels like Winter to me

Lets hope Mr Russ and his boss continues to read what the public think. Through places like this (not necasserily here as we have been warned) the public now have a voice. Although you mustnt slander someone you can now express an opinion on such things to quite a large audience. IMO over the last year in here I have heared little positivity about sea angler, thats only my opinion and may be wide of the mark.

I think its about time sea angler did the cod conservation thing like they did about 8 years ago. Also time they recognised more people go fishing north of the Thames and south of Norway than they appear to think.

Edited by Feels like Winter to me

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Feels like Winter to me' date='Dec 22 2005, 08:31 AM' post='56028

I think its about time sea angler did the cod conservation thing like they did about 8 years ago. Also time they recognised more people go fishing e north of the Thames and south of Norway than they appear to think.

Winter there is a program on local radio at 10pm most nights called north south devided i think its on for 3hours each night it reminds me so much of the sea- angler mag if you are north of the watford gap you dont arent on the map.

What really got my back up with this mag (HOPE MELL IS READING THIS) the winner of the whitby charter fishing spring festial this year was a young lad who fishes with me he was 16years old and has only been fishing about 1 year, he managed to win first prize with 16 lb ling winning £500 not a big fish but due to the conditions we over the festival it wasnt a bad fish now all the results were sent including a photo of the lad to sea -angler mag now this young lad was waitning to see his photo in the magazine and thay didnt even bother pitting it in when i phoned to see why nothing had been printed no explanation was given.

Now lad by the feedback i have had was a little upset and i think they have probably lost him as a reader for life not only him but the whole club they said sea- angler no more nut can you blame them now if it had been lymington with you know it wiuld have been FRONT PAGE. :angry:

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

I am not sure how wise a move it was for the B.A.S.S. secretary to try to make public the nitty-gritty behind the BMP advert deal, but atleast if it appears to have gotten M.Russ's attention on this then that cant be so bad.

Members of the B.A.S.S. committee have been trying to get M.Russ to see the way forward for years, but have continually been exasperated by his poor attitude. He is either too thick-skinned to see that or he has a very different agenda? Now if this latest little contretemps has some affect on the future policies of SA and how much focus it can hold on conservation issues, BMP etc remains to be seen. We can but hope...

Every sea angler I know and every other sea-angling poster who uses this forum would be absolutely delighted to see M.Russ and SA get right behind the BMP starting in the very next issue. It might be a little too late to have as much effect on the MLS45 consultation as it could have, but might serve as a great foundation to help hammer home the rest of the plan over the coming years.

So Mr.Russ - its never too late! You are in the best position to help make a difference, sieze the moment and make a good name for yourself and for your magazine. Without wishing to sound too aloof or elitist, I think its important to consider that a vast amount of the SA readership could do with educating in down-to-earth laymans terms about how the future of their sport is currently in their own hands, and they need to get writing to their MP's.

We need you very much on our side.

bog_cod ... on the other hand, the lad did get a free days fishing, some good fish, plus £500! Maybe the picture was poor quiality or something. Ultimately, he is 16, not 10. When I was 16 I could take anything! Thought I was invincible at that age!

bog_cod ... on the other hand,

sorry bout the spelling... wasnt deliberate!

Leon,

To put the record straight, Steve Pitts was the negotiator of the advertising deal with Sea Angler - this is what actually happened.....

Steve tried to contact Mel Russ to discuss Sea Angler support for the Big Bass on the Brink article on a number of occasions - by email (28/01/05 ) and also by phoning the Sea Angler office to ensure that the email was received. He then spoke to Mel's secretary Mary Ann Payne and she suggested re-sending the email, which he did on 08/02/05.

After several weeks with no repsonse, it was then decided by the BASS restoration team and main BASS committee that if Sea Angler did not appear interested in printing the information - based articles, BASS would have to run a series of adverts.

Steve negotiated with the advertising department and secured their best deal on the following basis - our first advert ' Big Bass on the Brink' was two pages and Sea Angler did a buy one get one free deal, sanctioned by Mel. The page that we paid for was at a further discount off the going rate. We supplied the text and some art work and the Sea Angler did the lay-out and reproduced this word for word, also providing backgound images from their photo library.

The only stipulation was that the it should contain the heading 'advertisement feature' so that it would not be misconstrued that this was a Sea Angler editorial or feature article. This was agreed by Steve after reference to the Chairman and Treasurer. This appeared in the September issue.

The second advert - Why we need a 45cm size limit for Bass? was a one-page advert and we were given a similar discount - with us providing the text and photo and Sea Angler doing the lay-out.

The total cost to BASS was over £2,600 inc. VAT- which we consider was worth the exposure, but obviously would have preferred it if the ads were adopted by Sea Angler and run on a gratis basis, as has been the case with Total Sea Fishing, Boat Angling Monthly and Sea Fishing News. We are grateful for Sea Angler's assistance and are indebted to Darren, Jim Whippy and Norman Berry for their continued support.

It may sound unfair that BASS has paid for adverts in Sea Angler, but it was felt essential that we make this available to as wide an audience as possible and like it or not, Sea Angler has the largest circulation - they did give a one free page and a discount, for which the Society is grateful.

I hope this account of what really occurred and Mel's statement confirms the facts. Unfortunately, Simon got his facts muddled with the passage of time and we do not endorse his posting on the anglers.net forum.

We need to work together for the better of Sea Angling , especially at this sensitive time with the bass public consultations under way.

I hope Mel can accept our apologies for this misunderstanding, and we can all move on together for the better of the sport

As a postscript - we have received financial support from - Gemini Tackle, Pure Fishing, Masterline International.

Snowbee, Grauvel, Veals Mail Order and Penn have also pledged financial support for our on-going campaign.

On behalf of BASS, I authorise this statement for release.

John Leballeur, Chairman of BASS.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I think that you will find anyone involved in the recreational side of angling is 100% behind conservation and support as many sensible measures as possible to insure the future of our sport.

Hi onebigfish, from what you have quoted i presume your are happy and contented with the whole of the rsa tackle manufacturers magazines traders charters or any person who is making a living out of the hobby's responce to this present consultation and future plans of the bmp then?

If not do you think it is time these businesses should now get behind rsa's properly and offer some finacial help to the hard working people who have brought the bmp and other conservation issues to the governments table, after all they are going to make even more money off the backs of these people's hard voluntary work and all of us as well who has bothered to wright letters and do some of the legg work for such organizations..........

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Okay, about the goat.

The goat was here as part of our equal opportunities scheme and was acting as my personal secretary.

Thank you.

Did you advertise the job here on the forums and the goat got it? :blink:

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.