Pheasant Plucking

ben88

Add a bit of extra sharp cheddar cheese and give it a try. A dish truly fit for the gods.

I never tried but substituting enough bird brains to equal the mass of eggs might do as well. If I still shot I'd really tempted to find out.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

over here we Keep a ready stock of Bird brains In a big building in Westminster,

How many do you need?

we wont miss them :D

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

over here we Keep a ready stock of Bird brains In a big building in Westminster,

How many do you need?

we wont miss them :D

Free air mail delivery on Nov. 5th if you want some and we will even singe the feathers off.

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

LOL - I was hoping 'bird brain' had the same meaning over there and I can see that it does.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Car in front hit a flying pheasant, it spun up in the air and landed in a layby, the car didnt stop, so I indicated pulled over, picked up said pheasant (very dead) and made off with it! - Skinned it gutted it (easier than plucking and dont believe the less flavour argument unless you are roasting) and gave it to my dauhghter, they made a casserole and said it was delicious, flavoursome and tender! (I'm alergic to eggs and chicken and didnt want to risk it).

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

• 2 years later...

I/we have come into possession of a pheasant, now we have all intentions of cooking this fairly large bird but have absolutely zero, zilch, no, none, nothing not a sausauge, not even the slightest inkling on how to prepare it.

Hello, Rod here, new to this site and from across the pond so I checked with/got permission from ELTON MURPHY before posting, I just recently had my first, skin on(plucked) pheasant and WOW what a difference in taste, DELICIOUS, I bought these birds, we have none in Northern Wisconsin but I have had quite a few inquiries from the UK as to whether or not my plucker will PLUCK these birds. ( I make up/sell over the internet, inexpensive,efficient, custom made pluckers,)I can now say yes and can't imagine plucking these by hand!! Dry plucking was timely and slow, about 10 minutes per bird, scalded birds still work but now about 5 minutes apiece! Well worth the time! $125 US for the kit, shipping to the UK another $25 US Watch as I pluck a duck in my carpeted living room, my wife was filming, and I am still married to her!! http://www.pluckwitheasypluck.com

Thank You, ROD

Hi Rod and welcome to Anglers' Net (even if you are a Yankee :D ).

Will it handle smaller birds like quail, grouse, and such?

Hi Rod and welcome to Anglers' Net (even if you are a Yankee :D ).

I hate to be a killjoy but I find that skinning them saves a lot of time and they have such thin skin they tear easily. Skin'em, cover in greased greaseproof paper (or fat bacon) and roast as normal or, joint and fry, casserole etc. To make a big meal a bird or a brace and a chicken will go a long way and when casseroled the chicken meat takes the flavour of the pheasant!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I hate to be a killjoy but I find that skinning them saves a lot of time

Not to worry Worms. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion no matter how wrong headed and we'll still like you even knowing you like to skin game birds instead of just removing the feathers.

Why, I even have one friend who barbecues beef instead of pork :o and while I won't eat with him, I'll still fish with him and have a beer with him.

:D :D

Hi Rod and welcome to Anglers' Net (even if you are a Yankee :D ). Newt ,So far, all that I have plucked is Ducks, geese (the short fingers are designed for waterfowl) fantastic job on these, tore the skin on our Ruffed Grouse but I will try this again this fall only after scalding the grouse (I tried them dry) Now I can say that it is also a pheasant plucker, (also scalded) I found the skin to be a lot tougher than I had remembered, but then it's been awhile since I've cleaned any Pheasants, as far as quail or chuckar, I can only go by what others say in my plucker reviews on my web sit and some say that it does do the job but I can imagine it must take quite a bit of finese. A learning curve just like in anything we do!! As for time saved, you are absolutely correct, but I personally find the thigh on any bird to be the very best part and I can't believe how delicious the thighs were on these pheasants, TIME SAVED,--- A few years back I picked up my tools and walked off the job, let the Superintendant finish putting the coupling back together, (drive shaft to large reel,paper machine) He thought we should be done and there were about 5 different bosses standing there waiting,(The Supe knew a month before that the Laser Alignment Tool wasn't working) --TIME SAVED? The difference between a Gourmet meal and McDougals Thank You, ROD