Cralusso Surf Float

Rusty

Interesting video, the float looks like it will be useful once mastered. However, I wonder what the bait presentation is like? In a fast current, the float might be stationary but the bait would be trailing behind it unless it is heavily shotted. Did it snag bottom at any stage when 'holding back'.

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Sorry to pour scorn, but the device is really a bit of a cheat I reckon, besides far bank cover is perhaps what the fish require to get away from preds and over enthusiastic anglers.

Crow Quill Avon every time, best I think in spending time perfecting the art of 'proper' float fishing, besides that gadget wouldn't sit nice with the 'pin and cane boys would it?

Interesting video, the float looks like it will be useful once mastered. However, I wonder what the bait presentation is like? In a fast current, the float might be stationary but the bait would be trailing behind it unless it is heavily shotted. Did it snag bottom at any stage when 'holding back'.

Mike

The way I’m using it I suspect the bait is wafting around below the float. I set the 8g version up with a 5g inline olivette below, then a swivel on the end of the braid and a mono hooklength of about 3 foot long. I then add shot until it surfs properly, this varies depending on the flow, it must be overshotted and I’ve found 10% to be a good starting point but the instructions suggest up to 100% in strong current.

Although it’s been good fun finding out how manoeuvrable it is on a small chalkstream I don’t think that’s what the designers had in mind. I think it’s intended for searching out feeding fish on wider rivers where underwater features aren’t obvious, once you’ve found them the instructions suggest marking the reel line so you can get it back to the same spot. That with the heavy overshotting suggests to me that the float is meant to be fished statically amongst the feeding fish well beyond the rod tip. When I used it that way on the Thames bite indication was very good, I could feel the plucks.

Yesterday I was using to get a bait to inaccessible spots which it will do but manoeuvring it downstream with slack line isn’t ideal and it is possible to get into trouble if you’re over ambitious. On reflection getting it to sit in amongst overhanging branches wasn’t the most sensible thing to do but used in the right circumstances it definitely has a place in my wicker creel.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

You've done a great job of that vid Chris ! The way the float worked looked amazin'. I wonder how it would work on a large river trotting it 30yds or so out across stream ?...would be interesting there's no doubt. Do you know how far downstream it can be trotted and manouverd with success ?

The way I’m using it I suspect the bait is wafting around below the float. I set the 8g version up with a 5g inline olivette below, then a swivel on the end of the braid and a mono hooklength of about 3 foot long. I then add shot until it surfs properly, this varies depending on the flow, it must be overshotted and I’ve found 10% to be a good starting point but the instructions suggest up to 100% in strong current.

Although it’s been good fun finding out how manoeuvrable it is on a small chalkstream I don’t think that’s what the designers had in mind. I think it’s intended for searching out feeding fish on wider rivers where underwater features aren’t obvious, once you’ve found them the instructions suggest marking the reel line so you can get it back to the same spot. That with the heavy overshotting suggests to me that the float is meant to be fished statically amongst the feeding fish well beyond the rod tip. When I used it that way on the Thames bite indication was very good, I could feel the plucks.

Yesterday I was using to get a bait to inaccessible spots which it will do but manoeuvring it downstream with slack line isn’t ideal and it is possible to get into trouble if you’re over ambitious. On reflection getting it to sit in amongst overhanging branches wasn’t the most sensible thing to do but used in the right circumstances it definitely has a place in my wicker creel.

Fair points well made. I might give one a go myself. If nothing else, it gives one a new skill to master. Hope to see you on the Kennet sometime this season. Let me know if you are off to Hambridge.

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

You've done a great job of that vid Chris ! The way the float worked looked amazin'. I wonder how it would work on a large river trotting it 30yds or so out across stream ?...would be interesting there's no doubt. Do you know how far downstream it can be trotted and manouverd with success ?

Thanks Ian.

It does work better on larger rivers where you might need to get out as far as you can. It would be perfect for the Eden, not a substitute for wading I'd say but it would save you a good few yards paddling. It surfs up to about 60 degrees from the bank and your line needs to be out of the water for it to work properly so the distance downstream depends a lot on wind direction. The further downstream the float goes the further out it will surf until it reaches the point where it can't surf against the drag of your line in the air.

JV44 took a video of us messing about on the Thames, if he's still got it and can send it to me I'll post it here. Below is a pic of Wallingford Bridge, I was fishing about 10 yards to the right and we got the float to the arch second left in the picture;

wallingford%20Bridge.jpg

To bu8sy drinking Rex Mundi to sort vid at the moment due to holiday mode ,see if I have time tomorrow when I am ummm not working and fishing to do so ......but you can get it to go a long way out on bigger rivers ...even if some purist think its cheating....found it great fun myself

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

No more cheating IMO than using an open face reel and a big waggler or ledger. Its all fishing.

I had a play with these a couple of years ago. Their a great idea, but the weight of them is a downer and makes hitting fast biting fish hard work. You could try the lighter ones (I made some) with just enough surf on them to trot a straight line down the river when fishing beyond the rod tip. Still not great for fast biting fish, but ok with a big lump of bread for the chub. But so is a waggler.... :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

No more cheating IMO than using an open face reel and a big waggler or ledger. Its all fishing.

I had a play with these a couple of years ago. Their a great idea, but the weight of them is a downer and makes hitting fast biting fish hard work. You could try the lighter ones (I made some) with just enough surf on them to trot a straight line down the river when fishing beyond the rod tip. Still not great for fast biting fish, but ok with a big lump of bread for the chub. But so is a waggler.... :)

Couldn't agree more, exactly what I've found. I have the 4, 6 & 8g versions and whilst the larger ones surf a lot better they are much more cumbersome on the retrieve, I need to try the small float again I think. I originally thought that the large antenna would be good for bite indication but in reality it's not always obvious when small dace (for example) take the bait unless they're very bold. Perch and chub bites are obvious as would be barbel I guess but I haven't caught one of those yet.

The more I use it the more I find out what it's good at and what it isn't, a lot more scenarios to try yet though.