Cralusso Surf Float

Rusty

I’ve been wanting to try one of these for ages, they seem like a solution to situations where you want to trot a float well beyond your rod tip (or hold a stationary float in position near the far bank) but wading isn’t possible.

The proprietor of Acorn Angling in Didcot has tried them without much success and it seems they haven’t sold very well because his stock has been reduced to a fiver each. There’s very little on the internet about how to set them up and only a few videos on YouTube showing them in action, all in any language but English. So with everything pointing to the fact that these might be a waste of time and money I bought one. The instructions are quaint, translation into English didn’t go well so this is my interpretation of how you put it together and set the thing up.

This is what you get in the packet;

The vane

Three different coloured antennae

Two sets of stems, one set has red tubing attached (the grey float rubbers are just used to keep them together)

One length of silicon tubing

A small yellow substitute for the antenna which I assume is for a starlight or similar, the instructions don’t mention it.

DSCN1169_zps5a64917d.jpg

If the flow is from your right when facing the river then attach the stems with the red tubing to the vane (which should have the Cralusso logo the correct way up). Cut four short lengths of the silicon tube and slide one onto the top stem and the other three onto the bottom stem. Select your choice of antenna and insert twisting it 45 degrees away from you, I think this is so the flat side is visible. It should look like this;

DSCN1170_zps4dff9335.jpg

If the flow is from your left then you use the other set of stems (without red tubing) and the Cralusso logo on the vane should be upside down;

DSCN1171_zps393875c3.jpg

And with line attached, you can see from the angle of the vane how it would surf away from you when the main line is under tension;

DSCN1172_zps38749eb9.jpg

In use the idea is to have the vane submerged and the antenna upright or leaning a little forward, if it leans back you slide the bottom silicon tube towards the vane. If it leans too far forward and sinks when you hold back then move the tube away from the vane. If it sinks when you strike (without a fish) then move the silicon tube on the upper stem towards the vane. Simple!!??

As regards shotting pattern all I’ve managed to glean is that bulk shotting near the hook makes the float work best. I’ll experiment with different patterns though and see what difference it makes, if it works at all!

Edited by Rusty
  • Like 1

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I've been considerring buying one myself for ages Chris but like you i've never got round to it. I'll be interested in your findings. If you rate it then i'll have to follow suite and go get one.

You could always go and try it out on the river now so long as you've no hook on and your club will allow you to.

You could always go and try it out on the river now so long as you've no hook on and your club will allow you to.

I did think about that Ian and I'm sorely tempted to ask the club, I'm dying to try this float out. I just wonder whether giving the impression of angling (but not actually angling) to onlookers is worth the potential hassle.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I did think about that Ian and I'm sorely tempted to ask the club, I'm dying to try this float out. I just wonder whether giving the impression of angling (but not actually angling) to onlookers is worth the potential hassle.

If your club have no objections then i'd just go and try it out. You'll not likely to be more than half an hour or so so I very much doubt anyone will complain.

and it seems they haven’t sold very well

That's not too hard to believe. :lol:post-1421-0-86980800-1398109263_thumb.jpg

I'd be careful of trying it out in the close season.

I was once plumbing around a gravel pit, in season, no hooks on my person at all, no bait boxes, and no tackle other than rod/reel/weights and big floats (it was a hot day and I only had on shorts and T-shirt - so no chance of concealing stuff).

An EA bailiff demanded to see my rod licence cos I was using a rod - I didn't have it with me but my mate had his which was good enough for the bailiff as there was only one rod in use: the point is, as far as he was concerned we were using a rod, i.e. fishing.

I've been considerring buying one myself for ages Chris but like you i've never got round to it. I'll be interested in your findings. If you rate it then i'll have to follow suite and go get one.

I've got a couple you can have a play with, bought them and never got round to doing owt with them.

Looks like a fancy otter-board** to me, and in some places there used to be byelaws against them. The Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries Act of 1975 specifically banned them, but I don't know what the present series of Acts say. (someone google it please)

Whatever. Its only a matter of time before some busybody tries to get it banned.

**Otter-board = a device for taking bait or lures across a current - used to be used to present salmon flies or baited hooks across the stream to under the far bank. Usually there were multiple hooks between otter-board and the operator. It was not considered a serious threat except by those that objected to anything they didn't use themselves.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Been interested in these for some time aftyer seeing a video on U Tube. As is often the case these days just never got around to trying. As such be really interested in how you get on with it Rusty.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!