labrax

Hi all

Been looking through the postings and it would appear that you've got a good little community on the go. I've never even sat on a yak as yet but I had mentioned it to the missus a couple of times that it looked like fun so imagine my suprise when presented with a Perception Gemini for christmas. She either loves me or wants rid of me.......mmmmmmmmmmm could be the later me thinks !

I'm a keen bass angler living in Hove East Sussex so I will be hoping to use the yak for getting a slightly differnet perspective on my shore marks, especially the rough ground ones.

I havent got a clue as to whether or not the yak is suitable for fishing , any ideas on that. I havent seen them mentioned in any postings. I guess I should start off with a little instruction before diving in too deep (bad use of words I know) but I guess I'll be looking for advice with regard to safe use and fitting out in the future. I will obviously be getting some sort of life jacket and flares etc but any advice more than welcome on that and on what paddle to start with ? I'm 5 foot 11 and 13 stone if that makes any difference and funds slightly are limited.

Thanks in advance for any info you think I should have before endangering my self too much.

Welcome to the madhouse :)

I know nothing about these yak things, and the guys in here scare me with their mad antics, so I'll let someone else answer that bit :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Hi Labrax.

Just finished working on mine, welcome.

We are a mad but friendly bunch ask what you like its probably been asked before possibly by the person answering.

Suggest you look through some old threads, lots on gear and safety. Dont know much about the Gemini but worse case scenario it will be fine for close in calm weather bass fishing. Also recommend Starvinmarvins site www.anglersafloat.co.uk.

If you want to join us in the solent area your more than welcome even though its bit of trip. ONly thing is time of year demands a dry suit or equivalent which can be a bit pricey if you are on a budget. However, there are some good bargains in sales. Dont worry about inexperience just make sure you go out with someone with some and dont run before you can paddle.

Welcome to the mad house. ;):D

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Hi Labrax.

Welcome to the home of kayak fishing in the u.k.......the madhouse :)

You will find that all the guys here, are more than willing to help out.

None of us are experts, but we do our best to help.

My advice to you is sit back take your time, and read all you can about the sport.

The link below is a very usefull one, explaining all you need to know about the sport...choice of kayak...personal floatation devices...kit and conditions etc.

http://www.sit-on-topkayaking.com/Articles...tion/Index.html

Hope you find it helpfull.

Look also at www.bournemouthcanoes.com

www.kayakfishinggear.com

www.kayakfishingstuff.com

These should keep you busy for a while.... :D:D

Have fun.

Yakity. :)

Edited by Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Welcome Labrax.

Thats a nice present your missus has bought you & you haven't had to go through the agony of choosing which one to buy!

gemini-2.jpg

The model you have should be ok. It has a high weight capacity & good primary stability (quite wide at 31inches) - quite important for a beginner as it won't feel so tippy when you first get in.

Your kayak looks similar to the type of waters suited to my kayak (OK Caper) - I wouldn't head out in anything too rough or where the water can run strong in a kayak of those dimensions or you could at times be in for a hard paddle :D

If funds are limited look to spend about £35-45 on a paddle to get one up from the bottom of the range (an Orginz branded one springs to mind). I'd suggest spending more on a pfd & to try one on first. Unless you can get some cold water clothing together you may have to wait a while before you can head out. Dry wear (suit/trousers/cags) seem to the popular choice of clothing for those of us who are heading out at this time of year.

I would recommend going for a paddle in a safe area first to familiarise yourself with the kayak. Practice reentry drills and flipping the yak back over in water deeper than your body height. There doesn't appear to be any hatches on your kayak but still check for leaks after you have made your drills.

As Darnsarf mentions check out Starvin's site www.anglersafloat.co.uk . There is a kayak safety check list on there for reference.

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

WELLCOME`and I hope you have lots of fun on your Kayak, wish her indoors had got me one for christmas, All I GOT WAS A PAIR OF SOCKS :(:( . no I hope you do have fun, and if you need any help there are lots of lads here ready to help out. terry

If only I had all the money for all the toys I want,;-(

Got most of them now, Just working on that Harley in blue ;-)

Welcome Labrax (Good name), Wonder what you'll be fishing for?

Being a fisher first, kayaker second, I don't think I'm qualified to comment on your mode of yak, but it looks OK to me, and I'm sure it will give you many hours of fun. :)

Being a relative newcomer to the sport myself, I can honestly say that there is nothing to beat the intimacy that you'll experience when you get out and catch a few fish on her, unlike standing on the deck of a 30ft charter boat. Have a good read of all the links that Yakity Yak put up and take things easy to begin with.

If you have boat fishing experience already, then you are probably aware of the dangers and pitfalls of going to sea, so just use basic Common Sense and if in doubt, stay on the beach, there'll always be tomorrow. There's no fun in sitting out in rough weather trying to catch a fish, especially when every wave is landing on your lap and you can't concentrate on what your out there for.

See if you can hook up with somebody locally for a trip or two, It's more fun that way and it's reassuring to know that if things do go tits up there'll be help at hand.

nifty. :)

Welcome Labrax. Hang on tight and enjoy the ride ;)

Best of luck with your yak fishing :)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Hiya Labrax - sorry, was booted out of Latin so don't speak the lingo!

Perception make good kayaks - yours is a tandem so you really need 2 paddles. Was the better half dropping a hint perhaps? Maybe she was a closet kayaker and this was how to get YOU round to it! It should paddle quite happily with one up and the Sussex shore line is perfect for kayak fishing.

There is nothing much to it really, just like learning to ride a bike, once you have been out for an hour you will get used to it very quickly. One thing that is really worth practising when you are out - other than the falling off and climbing back aboad bit, is paddling technique. You can waste an extroardinary amount of energy paddlingwith poor efficiency.

Don't dig the paddle too deep. Put the blade i the water by your toes and keep it perpendicular to the water as you PULL THE KAYAK TO THE BLADE, then lift it out when the blade is level with your hips. This is the most efficient stroke - the temptation is to drag the paddle to the kayak and then keep it going back beyond your hips - but from level with you to further back the blade travels in an upward arc - you are losing efficiency. When you make 5000 paddle strokes that loss becomes significant. You are putting in the energy to move that water - but you are not getting so much back for the effort. The best way to move the paddle is to push with your top hand MORE than you pull with the bottom one. DON'T grip the paddle tightly either - it should just rest in your fingers and your top fingers can be open. A light grip saves energy and improves your stroke.

Try and keep the paddle blade close to the side of the kayak as you paddle - that way you will keep the kayak travelling as straight as possible (known as tracking) - if you plant the paddle wide and then make the stroke there will be a tendency for the kayak to swing in an arc, which you then have to correct on the opposite stroke. The result is you actually travel about twice as far, wasting energy.

The fishing bit is pretty simple. Just make your movements about the boat smooth and measured. It is sudden movements that will have you in the drink. You can sit with your feet over the edge quite happily and be as stable as when you are sitting in the seat - let the kayak move under you, like leaning a bike into a bend. Waves should pas under the kayak, let them, just go with the movement and you won't fall off. In fact, it is harder to fall off than newcomers realise.

Have fun - and a Happy New Year!!

Simon.

Edited by Simon Everett

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Welcome Labrax,

What a wonderful woman you have there, is she aware how addictive kayak fishing is :) like Yakity has said none of us are experts all are learning, read as much as you can there are plenty of helpful sites and even more helpful people.

Your not the only kayak fisherman in your area, you will probably bump into some of the others, although probably when it warms up a bit as I know that one of the individuals returns to the beach when it gets too cold and keeps the Yak for the summer, If you ever want some company I fish West of Selsey in the Solent, but never around Selsey, cos of the tides. You might even get me to come as far as Shoreham when it warms up a bit.

Don't be afraid to ask any questions how every silly they may sound, believe me, we have all been there and have all needed some help at some stage.

The Perceptions are a great kayak and excellent quality so enjoy. Look forward to hearing about your first catch.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com