bait table

viney

Collapsible water bowls make great bait rafts and you can get loads of stuff in one. Just tie some string to it and the other end to you. Don't matter how deep the water or how hard the river bed and they are light and can just be stuffed in your bag.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trakker-NEW-Collapsible-Fishing-Water-Bucket-Bowl-/2 e31115496727?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item35cf8e9d17

I think that's my favourite idea so far :) not an issue if I decide to move where I am stood in the river either. Just ordered some new waders and they have a belt to attach it to. Now just to wait until June...

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's my favourite idea so far :) not an issue if I decide to move where I am stood in the river either. Just ordered some new waders and they have a belt to attach it to. Now just to wait until June...

Looking at that link again, its a bit small that one. The one I use is about 16" round and made by browning.

The maggot bags tigger uses are great if you are using just one dry bait, but for multiple kinds and especially wet ones (hemp, mash, groundbait,....) I use my bowl when trotting.

Can also be handy on a big river if you tie your maggot bag to the end of the string and put some pebbles in the bag as an anchor. This means you can get out for a pee and a brew and come back to exactly the same spot/line.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Looking at that link again, its a bit small that one. The one I use is about 16" round and made by browning.

The maggot bags tigger uses are great if you are using just one dry bait, but for multiple kinds and especially wet ones (hemp, mash, groundbait,....) I use my bowl when trotting.

Can also be handy on a big river if you tie your maggot bag to the end of the string and put some pebbles in the bag as an anchor. This means you can get out for a pee and a brew and come back to exactly the same spot/line.

A good idea Bri, I have seen it used before with floating bowls atatched to banksticks. I suppose if your mid river and staying there all day (and in the right weather and river conditions) that's great. If it's raining your baits gonn'a get drenched and the maggots will all start to bail out !

If I use wet baits I just put them into a plastic bag (dog muck bags are good as they don't leak), roll the top edges over for access and put them into my maggot bag. I sometimes have several bags hanging round my neck with various baits in them. There's nothing stopping you from leaving any large ammounts of bait on the bank in containers and just put small ammounts in your bags so as not to give you a hunch back lol.

A good idea Bri, I have seen it used before with floating bowls atatched to banksticks. I suppose if your mid river and staying there all day (and in the right weather and river conditions) that's great. If it's raining your baits gonn'a get drenched and the maggots will all start to bail out !

If I use wet baits I just put them into a plastic bag (dog muck bags are good as they don't leak), roll the top edges over for access and put them into my maggot bag. I sometimes have several bags hanging round my neck with various baits in them. There's nothing stopping you from leaving any large ammounts of bait on the bank in containers and just put small ammounts in your bags so as not to give you a hunch back lol.

Don't matter getting some baits wet (mash, hemp, caster, corn,.......), but yes some are better in a bag maybe even round your neck on a wet day. :)

Anyway a steady escape of maggots just means you need to trot straight down stream lol.

Don't matter getting some baits wet (mash, hemp, caster, corn,.......), but yes some are better in a bag maybe even round your neck on a wet day. :)

Anyway a steady escape of maggots just means you need to trot straight down stream lol.

Ah the good old cloth maggot bag, I still use them, helps to keep a good flow of air to the maggots. A bit of a problem if you decide to lie down on the bank, and forget about it, but they soon remind you. Then as Brian says, if it's pouring with rain and they decide on a mass escape. The little buggers get everywhere.

A mate of mine swore he found one escapee under his foreskin when he showered after a trip. I never believed it was an escapee. I think he was just trying out one of his more bizzare sexual fantasies, (he was well known for them!).

One bag with maggots, one with cheese, meat, and bread in seperate small sandwich bags, and maybe one with spare floats, shot, hooks etc, then off paddling.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

No intention to go off topic, but as they've just been mentioned, has anyone a recommendation for a supplier of decent quality cloth maggot bags?

No intention to go off topic, but as they've just been mentioned, has anyone a recommendation for a supplier of decent quality cloth maggot bags?

These are the only ones I've seen phil, but at £6 with delivery, I'd prefer to make my own, (or let my daughter do it).

The legs off an old pair of denim jeans make a good start. Cut to the legth you want, stitch one open end, cut the other so that there is a flap, and attach the neck strap. If you, your other half, or even a friend is handy with a sewing machine, then they are easy to make.

Don't forget to turn them inside out before using, the maggots have less chance of creeping up that way.

John.

Ooops sorry, forgot to post the link.

http://www.bobcotackle.co.uk/shop/Sensas-Maggot-Bags

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

These are the only ones I've seen phil, but at £6 with delivery, I'd prefer to make my own, (or let my daughter do it).

The legs off an old pair of denim jeans make a good start. Cut to the legth you want, stitch one open end, cut the other so that there is a flap, and attach the neck strap. If you, your other half, or even a friend is handy with a sewing machine, then they are easy to make.

Don't forget to turn them inside out before using, the maggots have less chance of creeping up that way.

John.

I use those very bags myself John, they are excellent little bags :).

The little peice of cord is handy to tie off the bag (if you have maggots or worms in it) if you need to take it off and put it down.

Edited by Tigger

John.

I use those very bags myself John, they are excellent little bags :).

The little peice of cord is handy to tie off the bag (if you have maggots or worms in it) if you need to take it off and put it down.

IMO breathable is better than denim as it drys faster when you have waded to deep or bent over and dipped it in the drink. Less chance of getting maggots under your foreskin. :yucky:

IMO breathable is better than denim as it drys faster when you have waded to deep or bent over and dipped it in the drink. Less chance of getting maggots under your foreskin. :yucky:

Just use a wading stick and a shorter neck strap Brian. As for them creeping into various nooks and crannies about your person, well, it's never happened to me, and the guy in question was a bit weird.

My sister used to make cloth maggot bags, and rod bags, as a little working from home project. I used to get them for nowt, so paying £6 a shot would gaul a bit. When it was legal to sell them in cloth bags, I usually forgot to take one with me, and ended up buying another, I had several dozen on the go at the same time, so I used them a reel bags as well. I would wash a load and store them in the shed, I haven't looked recently, but I must have some still stored in there. My trips are so few and far between these days that I usually get maggots in a container, and then transfer them to a bag or two that I've still got in with my gear. They don't have to be made of denim, almost any cloth will do, but try not to use any nylon type material, it doesn't allow them to breath nearly as good. You could even make them out of camo' material and improve your bankside cred'.

John.