Cod "doomed" due to climate change.

Jaffa

Guest @Winter@

BC - Is a trawler doing anything illegal in dragging such an amount of fish into harbour. Even if all the fish was wasted would it still have to go on the quota ? or do the quota's only apply to what is sold. Did anyone discuss what was happening with the captain of the North Eatern Gaurdian or is it nothing to do with them?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wrote a letter to sea angler magazine about 7 or 8 years ago. There was a Cod ban on somewhere or other whereby no boat over 10 metres could land Cod, including charter boats. Sea Angler and all it's readers were up in arms. They all thought it was terrible that the ban should apply to charter boats. In my letter I said it was hypocritical to call for a ban on Cod fishing, then complain when charter boats are included in the ban. I won letter of the month and won some Gemini rigs!

If there is any ban, for conservation reasons, then I believe it should be a blanket ban on ALL fishing for that particular species. The only exception should be beach anglers.

Steve, I have always said that I will abide by the rules, however, the exclusion of beach anglers would a double standard. Wont make one jout of differance, but why should beachies not feel the pain, they are fishing for the same fish? I think we all want these things to hapen, but we still have that little bit we want to keep, sorry but thats the way I see it. I'll abide by the rules provided it applies to all.

:ph34r:

I am sure one of the members of the northeastern guidian is a regular poster on here in fact he posts quite a lot and he may be able to anser your question.

BC - Is a trawler doing anything illegal in dragging such an amount of fish into harbour. Even if all the fish was wasted would it still have to go on the quota ? or do the quota's only apply to what is sold. Did anyone discuss what was happening with the captain of the North Eatern Gaurdian or is it nothing to do with them?

:o:o:o

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest @Winter@

Ah nothing, sorry to go off topic. Just someone was aking me if it is still in the port and I thought you might know.

Edited by @Winter@

Steve, I have always said that I will abide by the rules, however, the exclusion of beach anglers would a double standard. Wont make one jout of differance, but why should beachies not feel the pain, they are fishing for the same fish? I think we all want these things to hapen, but we still have that little bit we want to keep, sorry but thats the way I see it. I'll abide by the rules provided it applies to all.

I stand by that Cliff. Beach anglers don't have the luxury of going out and finding the Cod. They can't get out to the hard ground or the wrecks or the banks. They have to wait for the Cod to come to them. Whilst beach fishing, even on a good tide, there is a very small window where you will catch fish. Being totally realistic, beach anglers won't make much difference if ever there is a Cod fishing ban. Even if there are thousands of them lining the beaches all up the East coast, only a handful will be catching. It's always been the same. 5% of beach anglers catch 90% of the fish.

I know as a dedicated boat angler you might find it unfair if this hypothetical ban ever happened and beach anglers were allowed to carry on fishing, but we've got to be sensible. If it did ever happen, the ban would probably apply to over 10's only anyway so dinghies would be exempt. So would under 10 metre trawlers. So how could you make beach anglers stop fishing?

You are quite right that we should all play by the rules, recreational and commercial, and during the last ban it only applied to boats over 10 metres. The point I made in my letter to Sea Angler was that if the ban also included recreational anglers on charter boats, we should stop moaning and be grateful that there was a ban in the first place. After all, it's what we have all been crying out for now for some years.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

I stand by that Cliff. Beach anglers don't have the luxury of going out and finding the Cod. They can't get out to the hard ground or the wrecks or the banks. They have to wait for the Cod to come to them. Whilst beach fishing, even on a good tide, there is a very small window where you will catch fish. Being totally realistic, beach anglers won't make much difference if ever there is a Cod fishing ban. Even if there are thousands of them lining the beaches all up the East coast, only a handful will be catching. It's always been the same. 5% of beach anglers catch 90% of the fish.

I know as a dedicated boat angler you might find it unfair if this hypothetical ban ever happened and beach anglers were allowed to carry on fishing, but we've got to be sensible. If it did ever happen, the ban would probably apply to over 10's only anyway so dinghies would be exempt. So would under 10 metre trawlers. So how could you make beach anglers stop fishing?

You are quite right that we should all play by the rules, recreational and commercial, and during the last ban it only applied to boats over 10 metres. The point I made in my letter to Sea Angler was that if the ban also included recreational anglers on charter boats, we should stop moaning and be grateful that there was a ban in the first place. After all, it's what we have all been crying out for now for some years.

All from the same hymn sheet Steve, it makes me smile, we are now excluding dinghies and under tens, the trawler men wont like it. Making a 'rod' for our own back, no wonder we are all getting humpty. I'm not changing sides, there is no point, if somthing drastic is not done soom, there wont be anything to make a point about from either stand point. I firmly plant my flag in the anglers camp. At the end of the day, fair and common sence must prevail, curently we all seem to be cutting our nose to spit our face :(:angry::blink:

Shadow boxing, every one is bl****y shadow boxing :unsure:

Thats my last word on the subject, otherwise I will be in the 'sin bin'

Edited by CJS2

All from the same hymn sheet Steve, it makes me smile, we are now excluding dinghies and under tens, the trawler men wont like it. Making a 'rod' for our own back, no wonder we are all getting humpty. I'm not changing sides, there is no point, if somthing drastic is not done soom, there wont be anything to make a point about from either stand point. I firmly plant my flag in the anglers camp. At the end of the day, fair and common sence must prevail, curently we all seem to be cutting our nose to spit our face :(:angry::blink:

Shadow boxing, every one is bl****y shadow boxing :unsure:

Thats my last word on the subject, otherwise I will be in the 'sin bin'

The over 10m part is just reference to the Cod ban that I was talking about. It's not something I made up, that's exactly what it was. A ban on boats over 10m from landing Cod. It applied to commercial boats and charter boats. As it was anglers who were shouting the loudest for a Cod ban, I found it strange that when one was implemeted, they were still shouting the loudest.....objecting to the ban that they'd been calling for!!!

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Funny that Steve, our local bait man Froggy is always informing anglers of the bass size limit as a lot of them dont think it aplies to them.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!