Smoke free

Gaz51

Well done mate!! i gave up couple of years ago for 14 months then had a bad few weeks when i split with the wife and hit the drink for a bit then had a fag or two so slipped up big time and planed to give up at the new year but my dad is leaving to live in Spain tomorrow and as for being skint after Christmas and new year and that I'm gonna get sorted and give up again next week!!

once again fella well done and stick with it!! i found my hardest time was fishing and down the pub.....but you sound to be doing well :) keep it up mate!

You can view my photo album @.... olliejays photo album

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ferret1959

Well done Gaz.

It's dead easy packing up the ciggies, staying off them is the hard part.

If you want a reminder why you shouldn't smoke gimme a shout, I'll show you the reasons. :D

Hi Stan, get down to the Docs mate. He gave me a prescription for two weeks supply (14 patches). Prescription cost £6.50. Checked out the patches in the supermarket before getting them. One weeks supply (7 patches) costs around £12 - £13.

I reckon I've passed the first hurdle - fishing without the fags, the next one will be down the pub. I'm avoiding it for a week or two until I'm well into my regime. :D

Good luck mate, you'll save yourself a fortune, I know I am and I didn't smoke half as many as you by the looks of it.

this may help cost wise,its a prepayment certificate for prescriptions should work out cheaper.

judy

http://www.dh.gov.uk/PolicyAndGuidance/Med...9383&chk=k8woEO

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

I'm a hardened smoker, have been for 50 years, 60+ per day no problem. As far as i know, i have done no harm to my health, still going strong at 60, quite fit, free from ill health apart from a fractured spine, that does it's best to see that i hang on to my pain threshold, Agony at times.

HOWEVER, i like the thought of giving up the fags, don't know why, especially when i see dumb headed motorist driving down the roads with a mobile phone stuck in their lug holes. I think to myself, what's the point in trying to extend my life by a few days, when some tosser like them can just as easily write me off tomorrow. At least if fags kill me, that's my choice.

Anyway i decided to give it a crack and try to stop smoking, so been and got a prescription from Dr Who, for a box of Zyban, 150mg tablets, start the course once i have stopped taking the pain killers for my back injuries. Now i have two problems about to start..One the increase of pain and agony in the back, and the other the torture of giving up smoking.

I still don't see what I'm going to gain from all the self inflicted torture, maybe a few quid, but I'm not short of money so that won't make any difference. Maybe i will live a day or two longer, who knows.

Anyway, gonna give it a go, at least i won't have to keep emptying the ashtray in my car every week.

The wife ain't very happy about it, she knows i can't control my temper at the best of times, I got a very short fuse when something goes wrong. NO D.I.Y for me until this is over, hammers/screwdrivers/tools etc would all be out in orbit, and god help anyone that crosses my path in the next few weeks...LOL

Would like help from all you guys, especially any good reasons as to why giving up is a good idea. Getting all edgy now, so gotta have a few fags.

With respect, since you've smoked for 50 years then you don't know how fit you really are, or aint, as the case may be. You have absolutely nothing to compare it with. In short you don't have a clue what good health feels like. I stopped 12 years ago after nearly forty years largely out of sympathy with my dad who had recently also stopped... a triple heart bypass plus the usual following dose of MRSA that put him right back into intensive care and on a life support system, tends to give you a whole new perspective on smoking. He's 89 and still on his feet BTW. Had he still been a smoker then he would have been gone to that great ashtray in the sky a long time ago.

When I stopped smoking I thought I was reasonably fit. Not overweight, played five-aside football twice a week and jogged around the block 4/5 times per week, but coming off the ciggies was a real eye opener. My breathing improved and my general fitness improved and my sense of smell came back...didnt even know that I'd lost it. I started working out regularly and got stronger than I'd ever been in twenty years and I couldnt have done it on the ciggies.

One day about 3 months after I'd had my last smoke I was getting dressed in the changing rooms after a swim. I put my foot on a bench and bent down to tie my shoelace and my nose was about 6 inches from the sleeve of someones jacket hangng on a peg. It stunk of stale tobacco... a real stench...bad enough to make me dry retch. I suddenly realised that was how my clothes must have smelt for a major part of my life. That's how you smell right now...its just that nobody who doesn't smoke has told you. The other problem that you have is that smoking related illnesses stay with you forever. Theres no warning, you dont have a second chance. The best that you can hope for is to finish the rest of your life with a reduced capacity to breath, live and enjoy life.

Is that enough to persuade you to kick the habit ? If it isnt, then you weren't really serious in the first place.

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Guest Brumagem Phil

Argyll, there are some people who for medical reasons are actually better off continuing to smoke believe it or not!

Doctors say its mainly the older smokers though.........they say because the body repairs itself much more slowly and the fact giving up brings on its own problems (big changes in body chemistry and weight gain for example), that continuing to smoke is sometimes the lesser of the two evils. I was quite shocked to read that, but I guess it does make sense.......albeit only for a small number of smokers I suppose.

As you say though, until you stop you'll never know how much harm its actually done you.

Now if only we could convince the youngsters not to start in the first place, we could really put one on the chancellor :D

With respect, since you've smoked for 50 years then you don't know how fit you really are, or aint, as the case may be. You have absolutely nothing to compare it with. In short you don't have a clue what good health feels like. I stopped 12 years ago after nearly forty years largely out of sympathy with my dad who had recently also stopped... a triple heart bypass plus the usual following dose of MSRA that put him right back into intensive care and on a life support system, tends to give you a whole new perspective on smoking. He's 89 and still on his feet BTW. Had he still been a smoker then he would have been gone to that great ashtray in the sky a long time ago.

When I stopped smoking I thought I was reasonably fit. Not overweight, played five-aside football twice a week and jogged around the block 4/5 times per week, but coming off the ciggies was a real eye opener. My breathing improved and my general fitness improved and my sense of smell came back...didnt even know that I'd lost it. I started working out regularly and got stronger than I'd ever been in twenty years and I couldnt have done it on the ciggies.

One day about 3 months after I'd had my last smoke I was getting dressed in the changing rooms after a swim. I put my foot on a bench and bent down to tie my shoelace and my nose was about 6 inches from the sleeve of someones jacket hangng on a peg. It stunk of stale tobacco... a real stench...bad enough to make me dry retch. I suddenly realised that was how my clothes must have smelt for a major part of my life. That's how you smell right now...its just that nobody who doesn't smoke has told you. The other problem that you have is that smoking related illnesses stay with you forever. Theres no warning, you dont have a second chance. The best that you can hope for is to finish the rest of your life with a reduced capacity to breath, live and enjoy life.

Is that enough to persuade you to kick the habit ? If it isnt, then you weren't really serious in the first place.

Thanks for the feedback. I already detest the smell of fags, can't bare to be in a Smokey pub room, but then i don't like the smell of beer either, or some of the perfumes that women wear.

I'm going to try this giving up smoking challenge just to see IF there are any benefits. It should be quite easy as i don't actually inhale the smoke, i never have, so i don't really know why i do it, it's a long term habit i guess.

Argyll, there are some people who for medical reasons are actually better off continuing to smoke believe it or not!

Although I'm aware that surgeons prefer not to operate on someone who has *recently* given up smoking (because of a short-term increase in mucous secretion), I don't know of any evidence that says that some smokers are better off carrying on. Do you have a reference, Phil?

On the other hand, there are plenty of published papers in medical journals like this one, that promote the benefits of quitting however old the smoker is:

Title

Smoking in the elderly--it's never too late to quit.

Source

Journal - Oklahoma State Medical Association, {J-Okla-State-Med-Assoc }, Mar 2002, vol. 95, no. 3, p. 185-91; quiz 192-3, 58 refs, ISSN: 0030-1876.

Author(s)

Bratzler-Dale-W, Oehlert-W-H, Austelle-Aggie.

Abstract

Approximately 3.5 million persons aged 65 years and older smoke cigarettes in the United States--10.9% of this age group in Oklahoma smokes. Up to half of all smokers will experience death or disability related to smoking. Cigarette smoking has been clearly linked to the most common causes of death in the elderly and contributes to the morbidity and disability associated with many chronic illnesses that are common in this age group. The health benefits of smoking cessation in the elderly have been clearly demonstrated. Although there are barriers to smoking cessation that are specific to the older age group, interventions to promote quitting that are successful in younger smokers have been found to be effective in elderly smokers. The extended longevity and quality of life in this country for persons who achieve old age highlights the need for aggressive practices related to smoking cessation in the elderly.