Vintage tackle auction at the Wingham Fish-in

Vagabond

I propose to bring a few vintage tackle items to the Fish-in and get some kind volunteer (not me, I am too deaf to hear your bids ) to auction them off, on the Sunday, with the proceeds going to the bailiffs who work damned hard to ensure everyone has an enjoyable session.

I will list a few items here - if you think you might bid on the reserve or higher, please express interest on this thread - I don't want to bring stuff that interests no-one, on the other hand I would not like to see the items go for peanuts, hence the reserves.

This proposal means you can both leave a decent tip for the bailiffs and take home a bit of angling history to show for it

Here are some suggestions

Pair of original Heron bite alarms built to Dick Walker's design, They screw into banksticks and you will need to wire them into a buzzer or bell. Reserve £5 the pair

Box of Mitchell 300 Reels, various spools (lots!) to fit those reels, and some spare springs etc. At least two reels still work ! Would suit someone who likes tinkering with old reels. Reserve £20

I have too many split-bamboo rods ! Most have been refurbished a time or two, but there are one or two that I have not got round to yet, and most likely never will. So, two light general purpose rods, in need of restoration. Reserve £15 each

Merlin large centre-pin. I used to use it for spinning for pike. Reserve £15

Will add anything else that occurs to me, the above list is just to test the water. Other items might be fly rods in split-bamboo or greenheart, and various ancient "general" reels.

Anyway, lets have your thoughts on this idea.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

It sounds great to me but since I can't be there, I'm no help. Surprising there haven't been more responses though.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Are proxy bids allowed? I think it's a great idea and generous of Dave to donate the tackle. I can't be there either but if the two split cane rods are without sets I'll kick off the bidding @ £30 for them. The general condition doesn't matter, I'll have a go at refurbishment but straightening would be beyond my capabilities.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I would of happily done the auctioneering (I've been known to do it a bit) ,but I'm not going too be there either .I'm saving up the advanced payment on our next car ,and I work six days a week and find it hard too get out fishing .

the Mitchell's would of appealed to me as I've used most of my spare parts now .but I'm sworn off buying any tackle until the cars paid for

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Please remember that Vagabond is kindly donating all proceeds to the Wingham bailiffs. Doing their job actually costs them money - you don't get many miles per gallon in 1st gear in a 4WD!

So any chance of any more bids?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Thanks for the Merlin Dave, I will put it to good use.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Winners of the auctions:

2 split cane rods for refurbishment - £30 - Rusty

Merlin centerpin - £46 - Dales

Mitchell reels - £35 - KAYC

Heron bite alarms - £21 - Steve Campbell

Total raised £132.

Many thanks to all who bid, even if they just pushed the price up (sorry, Nic!).

Most of all a huge thank you to Vagabond for kindly donating the items. The proceeds will be going to the bailiffs who have really worked their socks off this year. In fact, a few weeks ago I was considering cancelling the Fish-In as I couldn't see any way we would be ready. Somehow we were though, although we were still working the evening before!

Vagabond hoped this would be the start of something, and several guests have pledged to offer items next year. Foir my part I'm going to offer some books.

Any other offers are very welcome.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Winners of the auctions:

2 split cane rods for refurbishment - £30 - Rusty

Merlin centerpin - £46 - Dales

Mitchell reels - £30 - KAYC

Heron bite alarms - £21 - Steve Campbell

Total raised £132.

Just a minor typo - those figures only add up to £127. Didn't the Mitchells go for £35 ? That would produce £132 in total

Actually I am very pleased on two counts

1. Money in the bailiffs' trouser pockets - well deserved and have a drink on it lads.

2. Items have gone to people who will value them as representative items of tackle from a very special angling era.

So much better than gathering dust on my shelves - I have plenty of angling memorabilia already and use as much of it as possible - but these items were not getting used nearly enough.

Dales, if you use that Merlin for pike spinning and plugging as I did, I hope you get your knuckles rapped ! :fishing1: A lunge from a decent pike will spin those handles into a blur.... (hint - use the heel of your palm as a brake before trying to grab the handles)

Rusty, if you need any gen about the rods, please pm me

By the way, the Herons were not Dick Walker's first attempt at an audible bite alarm - that was a ferret bell lashed to a small stick that lent against the line between reel and butt ring.

• Like 2

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...