Bass. Why I think they are special.

Steve Coppolo

Talking of joey mackerel, the Minimum Size Limit for mackerel in the North Sea (which includes part of what many think of as the eastern end of the Channel, rather than the North Sea) is a whopping 30cm.

Leon, if you want a big bass use a big bait. An 8lb bass would take a 40cm mackeral without noticing it. It would probably take your rod as well. I lost 3 uptiders in 3 years livebaiting. As Sam says they take off like rockets. I have new bass proof rod holders now. lol shrk.gif

I honestly think people don't fish big enough for some species.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are you doing it? You can see the thread is about bass by the title. Why bother posting your stupid comment in the first place? If you don't like bass, fair enough, but why post on a thread about something you don't like? I can only think you are trying to start yet more aggro.

Steve

I had no intention of causing aggro, I merely made a reply to Sam Cox's post where he stated that in his opinion Bass were "the" anglers fish,

I read your post, and each to his own, I don't target them myself as i fish to catch fish that i like to eat, and i don't like Bass

Knight

I am quite interested in the livebaiting for bass techniques. How often on average would you refresh your bait or can the baitfish usually stay out for most of the session? I fish the Thames estuary quite a lot but have only ever seen one bass landed by mistake on the top hook of a pennel with a baby smoothhound on the bottom hook! I am not sure if the bass (about 6lb) was trying to take the smut or was just competing and tried to take the same bait as I would of thought that a little smoothie would be a bit of a mouthful and quite indigestible :yucky: I have had several times though of reeling in small whiting or pout and something, (presumably a bass) has had a go on the way in but the hooks have never been showing enough for a decent hook up. I presume that it is a patience game and you would have to put in the hours?

cheers

Live to fish!!

I am quite interested in the livebaiting for bass techniques. How often on average would you refresh your bait or can the baitfish usually stay out for most of the session? I fish the Thames estuary quite a lot but have only ever seen one bass landed by mistake on the top hook of a pennel with a baby smoothhound on the bottom hook! I am not sure if the bass (about 6lb) was trying to take the smut or was just competing and tried to take the same bait as I would of thought that a little smoothie would be a bit of a mouthful and quite indigestible :yucky: I have had several times though of reeling in small whiting or pout and something, (presumably a bass) has had a go on the way in but the hooks have never been showing enough for a decent hook up. I presume that it is a patience game and you would have to put in the hours?

cheers

Hopefully your live bait won't last too long before a bass takes it! It depends on the fish you are using and what condition it was in before you put it out. I've had whiting and Pout that have lasted ages that I've let go after a session and they've swum away! I've also had the same type of fish picked down to the skeleton by crabs in no time at all because they've either died or just sat on the bottom.

It is a patience game and you do have to put the hours in if you want some success. Sam puts more hours in than anyone else I know.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Thats your opinion Sam

Not everyones,

Knight

Same old Faeces!

If you don't like Bass fishing leave the thread to those who do. Perhaps you wish to see this thread locked too? :wallbash:

Safety habits last a lifetime.

Thread isn't ruined, yet - let's carry it on from here in the manner it was intended.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

The trouble with being a bass addict is that it takes you over completely. From spring through to winter, I'm always thinking of when I can get down to the water for a few hours. I seem to spend most of my time chasing the tide. Because bass are creatures of habit, you can almost set your watch by them. If I've got a few hours to spare and the tide is at the right time I'll always try to snatch an hour when I can. Sometimes I get very frustrated when I'm driving to a bass mark if I get stuck behind a tractor or learner driver. If the window is 30 minutes at a particular mark, every second counts and I don't want to miss a single one.

It's definately an obsession.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Know what you mean Steve- its a bit of a mare with the missus!

Have a few questions on livebating that I would appreciate peoples views on:

- I have tried livebaiting lots of times, but with no success!! I generally use a pout about 20 -25 cm, as thats what I catch. Have read, and agree, with the comments on the size of mackerel above, but pout have deeper profile- does this make them too big?

- I alsways use a float with a pennel rig, about 6 feet deep, from a pier. The pennel hooks I rig as one in the lip, and one on the top of the back. Would I not miss bites if they hit from underneath? How do others rig theirs?

- Final question, do people try livebaiting in shallower water e.g. rocks onto a sandy area? Presumably you cant cast into surf as the bait would carp it! Just wondered about depth.

Sorry for the questions, and happy to be PM'd if people would prefer.

Cheers

Grant

B.A.S.S. member

as a scottish kid the only bass we ever saw were in the magazines. for us it was cod and more cod. what's the fuss.

during holidays in the past i would chase round famous bass beaches across the country watching other anglers catch them but could never connect myself.

worst case was when fishing some welsh estuary many many years ago, 3 anglers all got a bite at the same time. me and 2 mates. result, they both had bass around the pound mark and i got a 3lb+ flounder. i was inconsoleable. :blink:

then while drowning some worms after a boat session on my local beach instead of the small flounder expected. bang! my first bass 4-01. :sun:

i dragged the thing onto the beach in a panic and never really got to enjoy it.

still i couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

in recent years i started catching them regularily from the boat to 7lbs and enjoy it.

better still i have caught a considerable number from the shore and i'm now totally hooked. there's just something about them that gets you, can't put my finger on it yet though.

gets to the point where they dominate your whole angling year. if your not actually fishing for them your thinking of new areas to try with new tactics. you hoover up any info on them and doesn't matter how useless it seems.

i have also found that its a club that's not got a membership but once you start catching them your invited in. the number of guys out there who fish for them but dont do any other forms is amazing. even up here in the frozen north. :)

i now get it!