The Colour Of Fire Engines

Elton

I know that around Aberdeen (I think it's Grampian FS) painted their cabs white a few years ago, there was a big thing about it on the news.

All of the ones found here (Fife) are red.

I'm part of International Fire and Rescue Assocciation and we will take any colour, infact, we will take anything...if it will help save lives.

I've been to Scrabster... and I want to go back!!!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A similar study was conducted some years ago for cars, I seem to remember that yellow was deemed to be the most visible colour.

Quite correct, I remember that survey and orange came second.

Black, white and red were very near the bottom, as so many other things are those colours (including background buildings).

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

A few years ago, Medway Council decided to commision a report to discover why people chose to commute to London rather than work locally.

I thought I'd save them the cost - I sent them a copy of the local free newspaper and suggested they looked at the paucity of job adverts, the salaries being offered in those very few ads and then to look at the prices houses were beiong offered at in the estate agents ads.

Not a word was heard from them.

A wise man once said 'Those who can, do; Those who can't, teach; and those who can't teach become consultants.'

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

A few years back I took part in a study to determine what colour was most visibile at sea by Search and Rescue craft.

Lifeboats and Helicopters took part in searches for coloured bouys in various sea and light conditions.

I believe that yellow was by far the most visible.

Guest Ferret1959

They should be green, notice how folk say "Hey there's a Green Goddess fire engine" but never even notice a red one flying by. :) :)

For partially sighted folk yellow on black is most visible and as most motorists round hear are nearly blind perhaps that's the way to go. :)

Edited by Ferret1959

Fire Appliances are red by tradition. The colour is Post office red. In the past Coventry painted theres white and Lancashire tried fluro pink. The Home Office objected and the colours were changed.

As to the cost of any colour change most fire and rescue services WONT pay out to change the colour of the fleet unless the Fire Authority ie county or cities fund it. The change will take place gradualy.

It may still be true that . . insurance companies use to charge cheaper premiums for yellow cars as they were involved in fewer accidents on a pro rata basis.

Another factor taken in account were the type of person who would buy a particluar colour. Red was seen a aggressive and involved in a greater number of accidents, while blue was the opposite.

Every second car in the 70's was red, now they all seem to be silver . . which bring's me onto . . .

For all you driving a silver car, this is seen as a sign of wealth. Though I have silver because . . .

it's easy to keep clean !

Andrew Boyd

For all you driving a silver car, this is seen as a sign of wealth.

If it was *sterling* silver, maybe...

<_<

The link I posted further up in the thread shows evidence that *silver* cars are 50% less likely to be involved in an accident. But then I suppose the more people that buy them, the more the statistical likelihood of an RTA increases...

The link I posted further up in the thread shows evidence that *silver* cars are 50% less likely to be involved in an accident. But then I suppose the more people that buy them, the more the statistical likelihood of an RTA increases...

Eh :unsure: ? If the chances are 50% less they are 50% less - it is irrelevant how many are sold. From an observers viewpoint though if there are more silver cars it may 'look' like they are more likely to be involved in an accident.

So why have I had more accidents in silver cars than any other then :( ?

Rob.