Is spllenig imorpatnt ?

Guest @Winter@

Guest Finepix
Its excellent!!!!!!

Was watching it tonight with my husband when they started talking about the 'Party Seven' .

'What's a party seven?'

'Eh?'

'What's a party seven?'

'You know, one of those large beer barrel things that everyone took to parties'

'Never heard of it before in my life'

Hmmmmmmm, being married to a 'younger man' doesn't always have it's advantages, especially when it makes you feel REALLY OLD!! :cry:

Edited by Finepix

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mmm! that has set me off remembering when the police would pick you up from a late shift working in Casualty and take you back to the nurse's home........

judy

I can remember watching the space men land on the moon,I was in the nurses's home ,there were ambulance men,firemen and of course the police! there were bodies all over waiting to see history being made.....

Edited by nursejudy

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

The worst example of bad manners is when people use "text speak" out of context. What really bugs me is that quite often, the time saved is minimal and it's just prevents you from taking anything they say seriously. Somebody who can't be bothered to take the time to type out "please" instead of "pls" isn't worth listening to (or reading in this case).

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I can remember the party seven's from student nurse parties!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can remember the damned things which had Double Diamond or "Bleedin' Watney's Red Barrell" in them and being too young to drink, a few pints of the stuff later, I was around 13 at the time, the demise of the Party Seven tin wasn't a minute too soon.

the contents were foul and they were a bugger to carry to a party anyway.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

I can remember the damned things which had Double Diamond or "Bleedin' Watney's Red Barrell" in them and being too young to drink, a few pints of the stuff later, I was around 13 at the time, the demise of the Party Seven tin wasn't a minute too soon.

the contents were foul and they were a bugger to carry to a party anyway.

The Party Sevens (and the smaller Party Fours) didn't even contain anything as "good" as Red Barrel (Watney's "Premium" beer!). They were always the last thing left at parties and by the time they were attacked by drink-crazed individuals wielding screw-drivers, they'd usually had such a good shaking that most of the contents ended up on the ceiling or the floor (which, as Alan has implied, was probably the best place for it).

Photos from my son's 1st birthday party in 1979 provide evidence that you *could* get decent beer in those containers - a Young's "Four in Hand" and a 4-pint can of Abbot Ale are clearly visible in the background (for adult consumption only, of course).

;)

The Party Sevens (and the smaller Party Fours) didn't even contain anything as "good" as Red Barrel (Watney's "Premium" beer!). They were always the last thing left at parties and by the time they were attacked by drink-crazed individuals wielding screw-drivers, they'd usually had such a good shaking that most of the contents ended up on the ceiling or the floor (which, as Alan has implied, was probably the best place for it).

Photos from my son's 1st birthday party in 1979 provide evidence that you *could* get decent beer in those containers - a Young's "Four in Hand" and a 4-pint can of Abbot Ale are clearly visible in the background (for adult consumption only, of course).

;)

Of course, Dave you had to be living in an area where you could actually get decent local beer. My father's only gripe about life in the RAF was the paucity of decent beer. He was once heard to say that drinking Ely Ale was above and beyond the call of duty!

When I was about 13 or so, my first ever trip to a pub was to take my grandfather to the Brampton Hut to wait for my father to come off duty. grandfather only ever drank mild - so I went to the bar and proudly ordered 3 pints of bitter. Grandad said 'I don't drink bitter!' I said 'You do here!'

The beer was poured, Grandad took a slurp and his face was akin to a bulldog chewing a wasp. Comments about 'gnat's pi$$!' were heard - and I said 'Now you know why you're drinking bitter!'

The sad thing is, that my dad had briefed me on what to get my grandfather.

When I was around 14, I pointed out to my father, that Watney's no longer had a 'head brewer' - his job title had been changed to 'Chief Chemist' - which rather said it all!

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

I have Dyslexia, and yet I have been writing regularly for magazines since 1990, from 1990 to 1994 inc., I had my own monthy features collum 2-2500 words + 6-10 photes every month, all my own work, thank god for spell check, a friend who had confidence in me, and a kindly editor. These days, I do about 4-6 features a year. I get very upset when people become high and mighty over their prowes on grammer and spelling. It was that attitude in the 50's and early 60's at school that destroyed my confidence for many years, I still suffer to this day with a confidence complex, but manage to rise above it most of the time. So its great that so many can spell well etc, but spare a thought for those of us that SUFFER! And text speak . . . thats imposible!

:ph34r:

I get very upset when people become high and mighty over their prowes on grammer and spelling.

That's not going on in this thread though, is it? This is about the requirement for a reasonable standard of spelling and grammar. You obviously have the good manners to make an effort on behalf of the reader, but some don't, preferring to make their posts easier to write than they are to read.

Glad to see a consensus on the abomination that is text-speak, too. :thumbs:

All the best.

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

That's not going on in this thread though, is it? This is about the requirement for a reasonable standard of spelling and grammar. You obviously have the good manners to make an effort on behalf of the reader, but some don't, preferring to make their posts easier to write than they are to read.

Glad to see a consensus on the abomination that is text-speak, too. :thumbs:

All the best.

One is very concious of ones lack of 'spelling', however as far as good comunication is concerned, in the form of the spoken word, I have no problem. In fact, I consider my self fortunate to have had a family who considered the ability to express them selfes clearly, as a weekness; not always concisly, as very important with out sounding pompus :mellow: Unfortunatly, orall comunication seems to be low on the list of socila skills for the newer generations, grunts, mumbles and no eye contact so common.

May I respectfully point out to those who do have a view on 'spelling and grammer'. Please keep in mind that to some of us who do have this problem through no falt of our own, it can be taken in an offensife way, in the past, I certainly have needed to bite my tounge! My grammer, is my own version, as a writing contributer, I try to punctuate as I speak, making it my own style, part of me ;)

:ph34r: