Is spllenig imorpatnt ?

Guest @Winter@

... the abomination that is text-speak, too. :thumbs:

All the best.

Text speak is not an abomination. It is just a method of packing as many words into the 160 character limit of a text message, a rough and ready compression technique if you like. It is not very far removed from the acronyms like ROFL, LOL, SETE etc. that we use on BBS systems. These are a hangover from 1970s when one had to send email and connect to BBS systems with 300 baud acoutic couplers.

Languages and their grammar are in constant flux. If they were not we would all still be speaking like this.

Myrce ne wyrndon

heeardes hondpleganhæleþa nanum

þæ þe mid Anlafeofer æra gebland

on lides bosmeland gesohtun,

fæge to gefeohte.Fife lægun

on þam campstedecyninges giunge,

sweordum aswefede,swilce seofene eac

eorlas Anlafes,unrim heriges,

flotan & Sceotta.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Myrce ne wyrndon

heeardes hondpleganhæleþa nanum

þæ þe mid Anlafeofer æra gebland

on lides bosmeland gesohtun,

fæge to gefeohte.Fife lægun

on þam campstedecyninges giunge,

sweordum aswefede,swilce seofene eac

eorlas Anlafes,unrim heriges,

flotan & Sceotta.

Can you translate please ( if printable) :D

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Text speak is not an abomination.

It is where there's no need for it - such as on a forum like this.

Contracted laziness in every sense of the word and proof that some cases of 'constant flux' would be better employed as rhyming slang than devices to distort the English language.

Oh, and have a 'harrumph!' to be going on with, Sir! :angry:

:D

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

It is where there's no need for it - such as on a forum like this.

Contracted laziness in every sense of the word and proof that some cases of 'constant flux' would be better employed as rhyming slang than devices to distort the English language.

Oh, and have a 'harrumph!' to be going on with, Sir! :angry:

:D

In that case then all the LOLs and ROFLSs that we see on here fall into the same category. No need to shorten "laughing out loud" or "as far as I know" in this broadband world that we know live in. It is just downright lazy. B)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Its Anglo-Saxon text from

The Battle of Brunnanburh

http://www.lincolnshire-web.co.uk/lincolns...-brunanburh.htm

It is indeed.

So what language is this then?

The Wershest Tear

Sittan, midnicht quaiet

in a place whaur memories

hae sic shalla ruits

wonderan whit wey I’m here,

sae faur frae whaur

I ettled, aye, ti be.

Thon’s the ache

that has nae sowtheran.

The worm in the hairt

that feeds on brucken dwaums,

ambeitions unfulfilled.

This, the wershest tear.

The ane that’s niver shed.

That seips intil the hairt

and gars the bluid rin cauld.

In that case then all the LOLs and ROFLSs that we see on here fall into the same category. No need to shorten "laughing out loud" or "as far as I know" in this broadband world that we know live in. It is just downright lazy. B)

Well, at least posts aren't infested with them throughout, as happens with the curse of text-speak. Yer actual 'LOL's are presented more as reaction than content, surely?

Anyhoo - I'm agin' 'em. ;)

So what language is this then?

The Wershest Tear

Sittan, midnicht quaiet

in a place whaur memories

hae sic shalla ruits

wonderan whit wey I’m here,

sae faur frae whaur

I ettled, aye, ti be.

Thon’s the ache

that has nae sowtheran.

The worm in the hairt

that feeds on brucken dwaums,

ambeitions unfulfilled.

This, the wershest tear.

The ane that’s niver shed.

That seips intil the hairt

and gars the bluid rin cauld.

Pi55ed Glaswegian? :rolleyes:

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Pi55ed Glaswegian? :rolleyes:

NAFAIK

Little as I have enjoyed Victoria Coren's brain-dead presentation, I have enjoyed the programme on BBC2 recently about etymology and word searching to update and improve the accuracy of some entries in the Oxford English Dictionary.

The highlight of the week's programme for me was when Victoria Coren presented proof which pre-dates the existing OED entry for the expression 'Something For The Weekend, Sir' - the source of the evidence was an article written by her own father, Alan Coren. her discomfiture was there for all to see.

There's a wonderful dichotomy - people value spoken history very highly, especially when it comes to dealing with social history, but one of the guys - I think he's the Deputy Editor of the OED- plays devil's advocate and will only accept documentary evidence.

Having said that, one of the words they were trying to get to grips with on Monday was 'SKA' - Nobody could give any more credible answer than anyone else, and many of the Jamaican 'sources' were barely understandable, if not seriously spaced out. For the first time ever, Benjamin Zephania made perfect sense!

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine