• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Daughter No 1 brought this to my attention

http://perrone.blogs.com/horticultural/200...gs_at_ri_1.html

i've always liked hedgehogs, even though i got one stuck on my fist once :(

I've a couple in my garden, but neighbours are all putting up fences instead of hedges, saves un trimming I suppose. I have pursuaded them to leave a few small holes to enable the hedgehogs to move around.

I also think the number of domestic and stray cats are responsible for the decline in our garden wildlife.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Guest Finepix
Daughter No 1 brought this to my attention

http://perrone.blogs.com/horticultural/200...gs_at_ri_1.html

i've always liked hedgehogs, even though i got one stuck on my fist once :(

How sad, unfortunately this kind of news will never make the front page of the tabloids (until its too late) and rarely makes the TV news, so the general public are oblivious, like me :(

I was lucky enough to see one in her natural habitat last year whilst camping. She came out most nights, although we couldn't always see her ... http://www.treknature.com/gallery/Europe/U.../photo15001.htm

Guest Finepix
I've a couple in my garden, but neighbours are all putting up fences instead of hedges, saves un trimming I suppose. I have pursuaded them to leave a few small holes to enable the hedgehogs to move around.

I also think the number of domestic and stray cats are responsible for the decline in our garden wildlife.

Slug pellets are one of the hedgehogs biggest enemies, that stuff is a killer and should be banned! :angry:

i have had a little to say about cats on a previous thread...

Full Edit

Quick Edit ziggy searchfield Sep 26 2005, 11:22 PM Post #15

Group: Members

Member No.: 2,920

............Right, here goes......

1. No one will own a cat without a valid reason.

2. No one will own a fertile cat unless they are a licensed cat breeder.

3. A very expensive licence fee shall be introduced with immediate effect.

4. The licence fee will be used to implement the immediate compulsory sterilisation program of all existing cats.

The above will result in a substantial but humane reduction of cats within a few years.

The population of cats in saxon/medieval times was so small that places were named after wild cats that nested there, such as cathanger( wild cat nest in the wood on the slope )

If the british public truly are animal lovers then they would not object to this program. Who could think that the saturation of our country by a creature with predatory instincts that go beyond mere hunger satiation is acceptable?

Some may argue that cats keep rats & mice populations in check, this is absolute rubbish.

We are plagued by other peoples cats, crapping in our gardens & killing birds, slow worms, frogs,voles etc., the easy targets.

we have been over run by rats & mice, the cats don't bother with them.

From an angling point of view, how many thousands of tonnes of fish are slaughtered each year just to feed our awsomely over-inflated artificial cat population.

For the people that object, because they would miss "little tiddles".......

Get a guinea pig, cuddle it, feed it cereal & milk, tickle it under the chin & squeak at it, it will love you far more than your self centred purring mass murderer.

Guest sandpipper

Having being brought up in the sticks i was told by my father that a certian type of people that live in caravans used to kill them, pack clay around them bake them in their bonefires and eat them as we would a sunday roast. My thoughts are yuk but my dad said they are just like pork. I dont know how true this is ?

Full Edit

Quick Edit ziggy searchfield Sep 26 2005, 11:22 PM Post #15

Group: Members

Member No.: 2,920

............Right, here goes......

1. No one will own a cat without a valid reason.

2. No one will own a fertile cat unless they are a licensed cat breeder.

3. A very expensive licence fee shall be introduced with immediate effect.

4. The licence fee will be used to implement the immediate compulsory sterilisation program of all existing cats.

The above will result in a substantial but humane reduction of cats within a few years.

The population of cats in saxon/medieval times was so small that places were named after wild cats that nested there, such as cathanger( wild cat nest in the wood on the slope )

If the british public truly are animal lovers then they would not object to this program. Who could think that the saturation of our country by a creature with predatory instincts that go beyond mere hunger satiation is acceptable?

Some may argue that cats keep rats & mice populations in check, this is absolute rubbish.

We are plagued by other peoples cats, crapping in our gardens & killing birds, slow worms, frogs,voles etc., the easy targets.

we have been over run by rats & mice, the cats don't bother with them.

From an angling point of view, how many thousands of tonnes of fish are slaughtered each year just to feed our awsomely over-inflated artificial cat population.

For the people that object, because they would miss "little tiddles".......

Get a guinea pig, cuddle it, feed it cereal & milk, tickle it under the chin & squeak at it, it will love you far more than your self centred purring mass murderer.

Hmmmm Aren't Guinea pigs a delicacy?

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

This was told to me by a reliable source who swears its true.

A guy who works for BT was heading back to the depot, when a cat ran in front of him and he felt a bump.

He got out and saw the cat laying there just twitching, "poor thing" he said, and got a shovel from the van and hit it to put it out of its misery. He put it in the back of the van meaning to report it back at the depot.

When he got there he was called into the managers office, and was told an old lady had reported him for killing her cat. He then tried to explain what had happened, but , the manager told him the cat he'd hit was the ladies, and often snoozed on the pavement. The other cat was found dead under a hedge a bit further down the road! It nearly cost him his job!

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Having being brought up in the sticks i was told by my father that a certian type of people that live in caravans used to kill them, pack clay around them bake them in their bonefires and eat them as we would a sunday roast. My thoughts are yuk but my dad said they are just like pork. I dont know how true this is ?

I believe the 'packing them in clay' bit is a myth, but yes, people do eat them.

Anyone remember the 'hedgehog crisps' that were brought out about 20 years ago?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE