Please Don't Feed the Ducks

Leon Roskilly

That Great Crested Newt being used again to stop something.The poor thing has been used so many times it think's it's the preverbial hammer

Edited by medwaygreen

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

I see a logical solution to a surfeit of water fowl.

The only remaining question is plum or hoi sin?

The biggest ecological problem caused by duck feeders is that most of them are fair weather feeders only. Many waterbirds in popular spots live on free feed from birth and never really develop foraging skills. Come winter, the supply of bread and excess picnic grub is gone, so sadly are many of the wildfowl that simply starve. The other related problem is that the more that you feed them the higher the birthrate. The marina on the thames that I use, is one of the rare ones that has its priorities sorted. Fishing is actively encouraged but bird feeding is actively discouraged to the point where 'do not feed the wildlife' is in the rulebook. Seems harsh not to be able to feed those fluffy little early spring bundles, but it make sense.

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

can i still feed the robins in the winter? they like bronze maggots???

No, maggots from maggot farms carry avian botulism that can not only kill a bird that eats maggots and becomes infected, but the disease can then be passed onto other birds. :(

Feeding them pinkies is fine :)

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I occasionally fish park pools in Birmingham that have three feet of water, two feet of carrier bags and a foot of mud before you get to the gravel bottom.

Almost without exception, the carrier bags come from people who feed the ducks.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.