getting your own back at the antis

mark barrett

i was reading in this months sporting gun, that the LACS ( league against cruel sports) has been having a donation drive to raise money for surveillance equipment for harrasing the hunts.

trouble is they have dropped a ****, in that they have opened up a fereepost account to take these donations. what happens ism that you can send absolutely anything through the post and the LACS pays the postage at the other end! now if you have any old telephone directories, argos catalogues etc that you want to get rid of then heres the address

The League aginst cruel sports

FREEPOST

London

SE1 1BR

if a thousand anglers sent something nice ands heavy, the LACS could be whacked big time. the shooting press are issuing a rallying cry, think its only right that we anglers do to.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a bit of a blow that they won't have to pay for it. I was thinking of your idea and thought "where the heck did I put those old phone books" but alas................................................................

Couple of bags of cement might have been a bit big I suppose.

"The early bird catch's the worm.............................................................................but the second mouse gets the cheese"

"Amatuers built the ark...........................................................................................................proffessionals built the titanic"

"All mushrooms are edible..........................................................................................................................some only once"

One point to bear in mind is, that in recent communications, the LACS didn't consider Angling as a "cruel" sport.

Have a look here.

http://www.league.uk.com/about_us/our_policy.htm

Sorry, I should ammend that. The quote is that they "have no policy on angling". Worth bearing in mind, I think at least.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

put a penny in an envelope and post it, they can't argue thats not a donation. The postage will cost them the same as a 1st class stamp . . . . . .

Mat

"Thirty pence for a First Class stamp? It's outrageous!" [mutter, grumble, mutter]

The Times, January 23, 2006

Anti-hunt group survives postal attack

By Helen Nugent

THE Royal Mail has saved an animal rights group from bankruptcy after hunt supporters cost it £500,000 by bombarding its Freepost address with junk mail and heavy parcels.

The League Against Cruel Sports has agreed a rescue package with Royal Mail after a fund-raising drive was hijacked by hunters and left the association with a crippling bill.

What started as a plea to its supporters for donations to a free-billing address ended up involving the bomb squad, police and Royal Mail fraud investigators. Problems began when hunt enthusiasts heard about the drive to raise money for the league’s hunt monitors and decided to sabotage it.

A round-robin e-mail was sent to hunters urging them to abuse the system by sending Christmas cards, empty envelopes and bulky packages.

Within a fortnight, van loads of bricks, telephone directories, heavy books, abusive letters and animal excrement were sent to the league’s offices in South London. One hunter posted a dead squirrel.

The joke soon turned sour when the Royal Mail depot in Poole, Dorset, called in the bomb squad after workers discovered a couple of suspect packages addressed to the league. They proved to be house bricks.

The scam intensified when Jeremy Clarkson used a newspaper column to urge hunt supporters to take part, saying that it would leave the league less to spend on surveillance equipment. The presenter of Top Gear said that he was going to send a “paving stone or a horse”.

As the league struggled to cope with the growing volume of mail, all of which Britain’s biggest anti-hunt group had to pay for, it decided to call in Royal Mail investigators and detectives.

Officials tapped into the network of e-mails among hunters. It is alleged that one was sent on by the wife of an employee at Buckingham Palace, while another is believed to have been sent from the e-mail address of the Master of Foxhounds Association, hunting’s governing body.

Alastair Jackson, the chairman of the association, said that he was not aware of any e-mails passed through his office, but he added that “everyone applauded the idea at the time”. The original e-mail being forwarded stated that the Countryside Alliance backed the idea, but this was refuted by the alliance.

Now the Royal Mail has agreed that the league should pay only for those items of mail sent before it alerted the postal service to the problem and cancelled the Freepost address.

This means that the league’s bill will be about £2,000, not the estimated £500,000, which would have almost certainly bankrupted the group.

Wanda Wyporska, spokeswoman for the league, which was set up in 1924 to stop violence against animals, said that half the sacks of mail were from the West Country. Some senders, she said, had used company franking machines.

“We are delighted to say that the hunters’ attempt to bankrupt the league has failed spectacularly. They have wasted the time and resources of the police and the Royal Mail through their petty and spiteful campaign. Next time the price of a letter goes up, you have the hunters to thank.”

Police said that they were investigating whether the culprits could be charged with theft, fraud or sending malicious post. Just forwarding the e-mail could lead to criminal proceedings. A spokesman for Royal Mail added: “There is no point sending any more mail, it will be returned or destroyed.”

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

As pointed out previously, the lacs has no policy on angling, so why the hell is there a negative attitude towards these 'ANTIS'? is it simply because they are anti something? im anti illegal immigrants and very anti bloodsports, so this thread is offensive as it has #### all to do with angling. Apart from the folk who like both fishing and shooting wildlife or hunting foxes etc aswell then this thread has no point to it, isnt there a forum for the bloodthirsty folk to voice their opinions on **** like this, that should be no way connected to angling? :angry:

As pointed out previously, the lacs has no policy on angling, so why the hell is there a negative attitude towards these 'ANTIS'? is it simply because they are anti something? im anti illegal immigrants and very anti bloodsports, so this thread is offensive as it has #### all to do with angling. Apart from the folk who like both fishing and shooting wildlife or hunting foxes etc aswell then this thread has no point to it, isnt there a forum for the bloodthirsty folk to voice their opinions on **** like this, that should be no way connected to angling? :angry:

i am sorry mate but i can only presume you are not very old, because if you were you would remember for many years the LACS being VERY quick to condem angling. that they claim to have no policy on angling now i neither believe nor care. why has this leopard supposedly changed its spots?

the answer is simple. they are attempting to do the oldest trick in the book, in that they lull anglers into thinking that they are under no threat, then attempt to pick off fieldsports one by one.

as for being blood thirsty folk, well wghat absolute nonsense. i shoot, but i am by no means bloodthirsty. i only shoot to control vermin or the odd animkal for the pot. few people would argue that there is a tangent reason for doing this, crop protection and food. very few people in the non angling population can see the point in catching a fish only to throw it back.

its long time that anglers realised that weather or not they agreed with hunting or shooting they SHOULD be backing their right to exsist as sport because though angling may be top of the tree in the public image stakes at the moment, the antis are erroding the roots, by picking off other fieldsports. coming onto public forums and condeming the other sports as bloodthirsty, is naieve, stupid and doing the antis work for them.

is that what you want?

Mark Barrett

Some senders, she said, had used company franking machines.

Why would anyone use a franking machine to send something to a Freepost address?

Obviously I do not agree with LACs, nor any other anti field sports group, however its pretty obvious that sending them objects with the sole purpose of making them incur charges is out of order and quiet lily to be illegal too. Surely we do not have to stoop to their level to win.

Why would anyone use a franking machine to send something to a Freepost address?

Obviously I do not agree with LACs, nor any other anti field sports group, however its pretty obvious that sending them objects with the sole purpose of making them incur charges is out of order and quiet lily to be illegal too. Surely we do not have to stoop to their level to win.

the sole purpose of the campaign by the LACS was to raise money for surveillance equipment to harrang those now hunting under the new laws. so despuite getting what they wanted thery still continue to harrang and persecute those doing a legal pursuit.

if the boiot was on the other foot do you think the same people that have gharrassed hunts, disrupted kiddies fishing matches etc would miss the chance to get a body blow in?

no dont think they would, and how the hell is sending a letter illegal? grow up man.

i just think its a crying shame the royal mail bailed them out from almost certain bakruptcy.

Mark Barrett