Sea levels to rise by 7 mtrs

maidstonemike

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We live in a body, that if not treated well, will cause us no end of problems and disabilities as we grow older, and likely an early death.

But, especially for the young, that is a problem for tomorrow, as we tuck into salt-laden, sugar-laden, fat-laden food. Overindulge in alcohol, smoke maybe, and take far too little exercise.

There seems to be something in the human psyche that believes bad will only happen to others, we will be alright, and that what will be will be.

If the majority of people cannot even take care of their own bodies for the sake of their health tomorrow, what hope is there of people cutting back on unsustainable consumption today, for the sake of tomorrow?

It's not until things start to break down, and life becomes increasingly difficult and dangerous, that there is regret about what we do to ourselves, and our planet.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Mike, don't forget to repost this in about 1000 years time, just to remind us whats coming. :thumbs:

OK will do. I have calculated that the rate of sea level rise is about 5 inches every 20 years.

That means I will have to turn me wellies up. or buy some longer ones. Either that or stand a bit further back when casting, if I am still casting in twenty years time.

Edited by maidstonemike

Well, i tink that if the Polar ice caps are melting, and the weather gets warmer, would they both cancel each other out? The hotter the weather, the more water is evaporated, so ther sea levals amy only slightly rise. OR: it may hopefully change the currents, and wash more fish in my direction... (then i might stand a chance of catching something!) :sun::fish:

who cares unless you live 6 metres above sea level ,lots of holland is below sea level ,stop whittering on about "what may" and move the lumpy useless bits of the country to form dykes or levees ,loads of england was under water on land that is now dry! a certain king hid in marshes before living on a now famouse landmark in the south west which was an island then(spot the landmark comp) :D

roman forts once on the coast now inland ,castles who's sea defence now long dry and complete ports many hundreds of yards from the sea that once provided their income ,so we just adapt as life on earth has for 4 billion years

ice in water displaces more water than water ,ice on land pushes the land down displaces more water ,the effect of all ice thawing is harmfull only to skiers and polar bears

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Well, i tink that if the Polar ice caps are melting, and the weather gets warmer, would they both cancel each other out? The hotter the weather, the more water is evaporated, so ther sea levals amy only slightly rise. OR: it may hopefully change the currents, and wash more fish in my direction... (then i might stand a chance of catching something!) :sun::fish:

Doesn't work like that. The 'evaporated' water has to go somewhere, so it comes back as rain. You will just have to buy longer wellies, no getting away from it. Ask for a pocket money rise.

Medieval Northern Europe - the Medieval Warm Period

From around 600 AD to 1250 AD there is clear evidence that Northern Europe was becoming warmer. Evidence comes from:

18O record from the Greenland Ice Sheet.

Limits of cultivation were higher on hills than they have been in later centuries.

The upper tree line was higher than earlier or later times.

During the 900s, there is evidence of several periods of prolonged drought, particularly from sequences of very narrow tree rings (the tree growth was reduced by lack of water). At the same time, there is evidence suggesting a predominance of "anticyclonic" weather over Northern Europe. This would give a rather "settled" type of weather with warm, dry summers and cold (but still dry) winters. For example, archaeological investigations in York reveal large numbers of bone skates from the Anglo-Scandinavian period.

During the following two centuries, rainfall increased significantly and tree rings are correspondingly wider.

Settlement of Iceland by the Vikings began around 860 AD, although Irish monks had been there already. The earliest explorers and settlers reported sea ice not far to the north of Iceland and some of the northern Icelandic fjords being choked by ice. However, later records make no mention of ice until the late 1190s and only after 1203 was significant ice reported. Grain was grown in Iceland from the time of the first settlement to the late 1500s, when it was abandoned.

In 986, the first Viking settlement of Greenland began. At first the settlement was successful and it was even possible to grow cereals. The settlers lived by rearing sheep and cattle. None of this is possible today. At its peak, the Norse population reached about 4000, with about 300 farms, 12 churches, a cathedral, a monastery. The settlers also traded with the Eskimos further north. After about 1300, the climate began to deteriorate. Stock rearing became unreliable, crops failed and the settlements were cut off from the outside world by sea ice for several years at a time. Unlike the Eskimos, the Norse settlers were unable to adapt to living off the sea (where fish were still plentiful). The last recorded contact was in 1410, although archaeological evidence suggests that one settlement hung on until about 1500. A recorded visited by a ship in 1540 notes only abandoned farms.

Load of rubbish spouted by people who make global warming their living, Politician’s and environmentalists.

I fish to live and live to fish.