Chilli Sauce

Newt

Cooking a new-to-me sauce right now. Its on the last phase - simmering in a bit of oil - and smells wonderful. I made the classic rookie mistake though; I scratched a nose itch while I was cleaning the chillies with my fingers sorta covered in hot stuff. Exciting!!!

6 oz Guajillo chilli (about 2 dozen)

3 oz Ancho chilli (10-12)

3 oz Chipotle (smoked jalapeno chilli) (25-30)

4 onions

1 head garlic

• Like 1
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• 1 year later...

I made a batch of chili jam in October and it's very good but fresh chili's are very cheap in Thailand. I might need to bring a kilo or so back....

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Cooking a new-to-me sauce right now. Its on the last phase - simmering in a bit of oil - and smells wonderful. I made the classic rookie mistake though; I scratched a nose itch while I was cleaning the chillies with my fingers sorta covered in hot stuff. Exciting!!!

6 oz Guajillo chilli (about 2 dozen)

3 oz Ancho chilli (10-12)

3 oz Chipotle (smoked jalapeno chilli) (25-30)

4 onions

1 head garlic

When you work in a commercial kitchen they drum it into you to wash your hands EVERY time you enter the kitchen. Nobody tells you that if you have been chopping up chili to wash your hands EVERY time you leave the kitchen.

• Like 1

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Had a good crop of chillies from last years plants including such varieties as the Carolina reaper, jays peach ghost scorpion, moruga scorpion, 7 pot douglah, bhut jolokia and the black naga. I've done a couple of different chilli jams and pickles, some chilli pickled and eggs and pickled shallots and a couple of sauces with them and in the next week or so I'll be starting this years seeds off ( I have seventeen varieties to grow this year so its going to be interesting)

Edited by snakey1

Don't you grow any chili's that have sensible heat levels?

What are your jam recipies?

Mine is finely chopped onions, Bramley apples, lemon juice, chopped chili's, a pinch of salt, half a dozen ground campden tablets and lots and lots of sugar.

It works great in wraps or as a dip for fried food.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

half a dozen ground campden tablets and lots and lots of sugar.

What are the tablets doing for your mix?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Mine is finely chopped onions, Bramley apples, lemon juice, chopped chili's, a pinch of salt, half a dozen ground campden tablets and lots and lots of sugar.

Hi Ken I tend to use recipes from various books or websites (a favorite being the dartmoor chilli farm projects page, their tropical chilli chutney recipe is great) I then just experiment with the amount of chillies I add due to the fact I've grown mainly superhots last this year (although I did have 4 unknown varieties that were of a normal heat level that I'd grown and over wintered from my first year of chilli growing (2016 will be only my third year growing chillies). I have two plants that will have survived being over wintered twice that are unknown varieties but of normal heat levels (both produce purple chillies that turn red when mature) I'm also growing aji fantasy and sugar rush peach chillies this year both of which have a more moderate heat. But I do enjoy growing the superhots you just have to remember a little goes a long way in your recipes. Oh almost forgot I'm growing yellow and orange roccotos as well this year which also have a more sensible level of heat Edited by snakey1

When you work in a commercial kitchen they drum it into you to wash your hands EVERY time you enter the kitchen. Nobody tells you that if you have been chopping up chili to wash your hands EVERY time you leave the kitchen.

Wash, dry, scrub with vegetable oil and clean with warm water and plenty of detergent.

I can't get on with wearing gloves and that's the best method I've found for removing capsasin.

Hi Ken I tend to use recipes from various books or websites (a favorite being the dartmoor chilli farm projects page, their tropical chilli chutney recipe is great) I then just experiment with the amount of chillies I add due to the fact I've grown mainly superhots last this year (although I did have 4 unknown varieties that were of a normal heat level that I'd grown and over wintered from my first year of chilli growing (2016 will be only my third year growing chillies). I have two plants that will have survived being over wintered twice that are unknown varieties but of normal heat levels (both produce purple chillies that turn red when mature) I'm also growing aji fantasy and sugar rush peach chillies this year both of which have a more moderate heat. But I do enjoy growing the superhots you just have to remember a little goes a long way in your recipes. Oh almost forgot I'm growing yellow and orange roccotos as well this year which also have a more sensible level of heat

I shall be growing fairly mild Kashmiri chillies and I will no doubt find a couple of packets of seed to play with. My growing will be outdoors on a south facing slope.

I'm really struggling for space this year, I had 27 plants growing last year this year I'm aiming for about 80, I'm converting a car port into a 23' by 10' growing space for them but I may have to install some grow lights as the light levels aren't the best where it is.

Edited by snakey1