Photo Challenge #6: "Mans Best friend at Work or Play"

TubularBelle

wow some fab pics ere guys!!! good luck to all the entries.. i particularly like Gillies' pics also franticfisherman2's 'wait for it'... great! :D

thought i'd post these 2 photos for fun..

we have 3 doggies here in Mauritius. here's one of em - Sam aka 'Small-Chop' our minature dashund, we also have a 'rocket' dog this is a native name kinda like a 'dingo' called spot and also a german sheppard called Dylan..

pic 1: Small-Chop's just been nudged when sleeping so thats why the shocked face hehehe..

c4a54051.jpg

pic 2: Small-Chop posing normal (just to prove it's not a dead dog in the previous pic lol)

0633ed46.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two cracking photos there Blue Marlin, fabulous sharp focus, damn shame you didn't get them entered in the comp as I think they would've been very strong entries.

I found this comp very tough & just finished up with a poor selection of candid photos of folk walking their dogs. Still, it was good fun trying & very challenging.

Guest franticfisherman2

I had a date on Friday with 2 black labs but it fell thru cos my car failed it's MOT! So I managed to get some of "Shane" the collie on Saturday. Lucky I knew a couple of people with dogs. On the beach for half an hour I took 81 photos - can you believe that?! :blink:

I had a lot of difficulty picking 2 out I can tell you although most were rubbish :(

The next challenge will be "easier" cos buildings don't move (or do they?) :unsure:

Here's a couple more pics that I nearly entered; :)

webshanecolin028crop8rk.jpg

webshanecolin0488br.jpg

Poll will be started as soon as I get the finalists from Tubularbelle, hopefully she will be online soon to pass this info over as I am away for the day from v early tomorrow.

Steve

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Looks like I missed you Steve, sorry about that. Will give you my three choices as soon as you reply to my pm. I regret asking people not to post 'cutesy smiling at the camera' pics now as we would have got a lot more entries and a few more faces and less butts, BUT I was trying not to make it too easy and unchallenging for everyone. Some Top Quality entries there and Good Luck to the Finalists.

Now, off to find some smiling buildings!

I hate getting up early, I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!

That was harder than I expected. Was easy to pick my favourites, I had 7 of them, but really difficult to whittle it down to just 3. While ALL the photos were great I couldn't help but be most drawn to the ones showing the dogs faces and activities.

My favourites were:

'Dog And His Bottle' which Steve replaced, very disappointed, it was in my Top 3.

'Where's My Stone Gone?' by Steve, excellent quality photo, a real contender until Gillies posted.

'Flying Mutt' by Ayjay, poor quality but magical shot, just needed a broomstick!

'That's My Stick' by Paul McNally, hope they didn't fight over it Paul.

'Running To Get You' by Gillies, the colours in this shot are brilliant, and love the tongue hanging out.

'Making a Splash' by Gillies, another excellent shot, no coaxing needed there I'm sure.

And 'Wait for It' by Frantic, think the finger did it for me the most, great show of anticipation. (use to have a Border Collie myself, his name was Oscar, after my Dad)

Hellbelly tried to take a photo of his dog Olly by blowing in Ollys face which makes him snap at the air, he thought it would look like they were having an arguement. But Olly isn't as slow as we think and he bit HB on the nose so he gave up. Would have been a good shot! And I would have liked to photograph the neighbours Burnese Mountain Dog called Becky, she is only 12 months old and full of beans, and such a magnificent looking dog.

Thanks to everyone who entered,

TubularBelle.

Edited by TubularBelle
I hate getting up early, I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!

wow some fab pics ere guys!!! good luck to all the entries.. i particularly like Gillies' pics also franticfisherman2's 'wait for it'... great! :D

thought i'd post these 2 photos for fun..

we have 3 doggies here in Mauritius. here's one of em - Sam aka 'Small-Chop' our minature dashund, we also have a 'rocket' dog this is a native name kinda like a 'dingo' called spot and also a german sheppard called Dylan..

pic 1: Small-Chop's just been nudged when sleeping so thats why the shocked face hehehe..

c4a54051.jpg

pic 2: Small-Chop posing normal (just to prove it's not a dead dog in the previous pic lol)

0633ed46.jpg

Blue Marlin, I presume these pics were taken with the 'Pentax' mentiond in another post? Very impresive. What is the model numbe, I have a Canon S50, produces reasonable pics, but the 'shutter delay' is un belivably long, (seems even longer in the cold!) it has needed repair twice in less than 24 months. Loosing confidence in my P&S camera.

Do you have any shutter delay on the Pentax?

Have had 4 Dax'is, got a a Dax'y cross now, cant be without 'me dog.

CJS2

Edited by CJS2

Blue Marlin, I presume these pics were taken with the 'Pentax' mentiond in another post? Very impresive. What is the model numbe, I have a Canon S50, produces reasonable pics, but the 'shutter delay' is un belivably long, (seems even longer in the cold!) it has needed repair twice in less than 24 months. Loosing confidence in my P&S camera.

Do you have any shutter delay on the Pentax?

Have had 4 Dax'is, got a a Dax'y cross now, cant be without 'me dog.

CJS2

hi CJ thanks for the kind comments about the pics.. i started out with the PENTAX Optio S 3.2 megapixel digicam. sounds like old hat but let me explain what happened through experience.

the S 3.2 was the first one released from the 'Optio' range. My Ma here in Mauritius was so overwhelmed by it's capabilities i left it here with her last year and looked fwdd to purchasing a new Optio S 5i pentax when i got back home (januaury 2005)..

at first i thought it was fine but somehow felt the fundamentals like shutter speed and start-up time were absolutly nowhere nr as tight as my Optio S 3.2 & even the pic quality wasn't anywhere nr as sharp.. i even sent it back to ebuyer saying it was faulty only to have it replaced with the same again.. 1 reason why i was really looking fwdd to getting here in Mauritius this time was yep u've guessed it to swap my new S5i for my old pentax with my mum as she rarely uses it and i'm now pleased as punch!..

forgot how mega-fast and sharp it was and really having fun with photography again.. kinda lost interest for a long while coz i lost confidence in my cam (the S5i)... dunno, it sounds strange but pentax seemed to get just about EVERYTHING right with the Optio S 3.2... one of a kind & defo worth taking for a spin ;)

happy snapping my friend! :D

:ph34r:

hi CJ thanks for the kind comments about the pics.. i started out with the PENTAX Optio S 3.2 megapixel digicam. sounds like old hat but let me explain what happened through experience.

the S 3.2 was the first one released from the 'Optio' range. My Ma here in Mauritius was so overwhelmed by it's capabilities i left it here with her last year and looked fwdd to purchasing a new Optio S 5i pentax when i got back home (januaury 2005)..

at first i thought it was fine but somehow felt the fundamentals like shutter speed and start-up time were absolutly nowhere nr as tight as my Optio S 3.2 & even the pic quality wasn't anywhere nr as sharp.. i even sent it back to ebuyer saying it was faulty only to have it replaced with the same again.. 1 reason why i was really looking fwdd to getting here in Mauritius this time was yep u've guessed it to swap my new S5i for my old pentax with my mum as she rarely uses it and i'm now pleased as punch!..

forgot how mega-fast and sharp it was and really having fun with photography again.. kinda lost interest for a long while coz i lost confidence in my cam (the S5i)... dunno, it sounds strange but pentax seemed to get just about EVERYTHING right with the Optio S 3.2... one of a kind & defo worth taking for a spin ;)

happy snapping my friend! :D

Interesting that, I thought it was me, one or two of the older (in digital terms) cameras when they made that jump into 3mp's seemed to produce cracking good results. Now'adays, cutting edge technology, just how good is it over all? I am no expert, but these two pics from Blue Marling, to my eye, are knock-out in capture of the atmosphere, sharpness, colour. Dont supose they would stand much more than 10x8? but in the term of the requirements most of us need, are they not the 'bees knees'. I seem to remember the Pentax S3.2 is very small as well, easy pocket size? And that the reviews I read picked up on the lens quality.

Same applies to a good fiew of the pics diplayed on this site, high quality indeed, few are SLR?

I ask the question, is a 'D'SLR realy needed by any one accept the true 'anorak', and I use the term 'anorack' with respect. My Nikon D100 SLR, is only used to impress or look profesional when on a charter fishing assignment. Having seen the Pentax pics of Blue Marlin, I will be looking at the spec of the S3.2 very closley, supper snaps . . . ?

As said, any one else have a view?

CJS2 :ph34r:

:ph34r:

Interesting that, I thought it was me, one or two of the older (in digital terms) cameras when they made that jump into 3mp's seemed to produce cracking good results. Now'adays, cutting edge technology, just how good is it over all? I am no expert, but these two pics from Blue Marling, to my eye, are knock-out in capture of the atmosphere, sharpness, colour. Dont supose they would stand much more than 10x8? but in the term of the requirements most of us need, are they not the 'bees knees'. I seem to remember the Pentax S3.2 is very small as well, easy pocket size? And that the reviews I read picked up on the lens quality.

Same applies to a good fiew of the pics diplayed on this site, high quality indeed, few are SLR?

I ask the question, is a 'D'SLR realy needed by any one accept the true 'anorak', and I use the term 'anorack' with respect. My Nikon D100 SLR, is only used to impress or look profesional when on a charter fishing assignment. Having seen the Pentax pics of Blue Marlin, I will be looking at the spec of the S3.2 very closley, supper snaps . . . ?

As said, any one else have a view?

CJS2 :ph34r:

again CJ thanks for your kind comments and yes it's all in the lens (i think). hey sorry but i've had a few beers so excuse me if i'm talking crap but firstly i agree with u about technology and it's (sometimes) shady advancements... it tries to leap ahead of itself just when the optimal requirement has exceeded consumer expectations, after all it's sales sales sales and this goes for everything gadgety such as mobile phones... manufacturers force thru the next product upping the megapixels and punters are out there to buy buy buy either coz they dont know what they are buying or coz it makes em feel like they are getting more 'pixel-welly' for their cash..

every once in a while something just gels.. & honestly speaking from a 2 year long experience i reckon the S 3.2 really is a special one-off gem. they did it & managed to get everything right.

i'm trying to blag a copy of photoshop CS off my mate who works for the uni. i'm still using the freebie software ACDsee 3.1 which came with my S3.2.. it's good but feel i need to delve deeper into this world of photo-software experimentation.. been reading loads of books n mags n stuff... i'm intruiged hmmm

anyone ere got photoshop CS? is it anygood or does it just wreck your head and not worth getting involved in.. should i just stick to my pentax and ACDsee 3.1???? ta :D

Edited by Blue Marlin