A Question about the Defra Bass Consultation

Jaffa

Hello Steve

The names Brian or Bri most call me the latter and thanks for the welcome but its a bit belated as I've been here for some time now just a few days shorter than Stavey but a fair bit longer than yourself.

Not quite sure what my status has to do with anyone elses choise of words as whatever anyone is they cannot be responsible for someone elses poor choice of words or innacurate statements

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that if you were to ask the commercials if they support the increase in mls to a size that means that they have had the chance to have bred at least once then every one of them would support that.

If however you asked them how that would be achieved then I'm sure that nearly all would favour a staged increase in mls rather than a big jump in sizes in one go.

There will come a time when there is a sea change in the way mls are calculated and that all species will have their own mls based on scientific studies on maturity. That is the only way that the future of sea fish will be sustainable

This thread is now way off topic so if anyone would like to continue this debate can they do it in a new thread so that the original topic can be discussed

Hello Wurzel,

You mention you have landed and sold fish on a foreign market, how often and how much was bass? Do you think many English boats do this, and do you think much English bass is caught out side the 12 mile limit and landed on foreign markets.

Im just trying to establish if any large amount of bass are delt with in this way and how often. If its not a common thing then it wouldnt have a lot of impact would it.

Although I know you do catch bass you do primarilly target soles(when your allowed) so as I understand it bass is not your main catch.

Hello Sam

I have never landed many bass on a foreign market, plenty of soles in the past, at the moment the exchange rate is not benificial so I have not bothered lately.

At the moment it's probably 50 50 bass and soles but the way the sole quota is disappearing like snow before the sun I will have to rely more on bass in the future.l

Put your self in my whellies Sam, you do have a little experience. If you were working on the off shore banks and had a lift of a £1000 worth (only 30 stone) of bass but most were under 45 CM, you have a choicse, dump them back or quite legaly steam 4 or 5 hours across the channel and sell them .what would you do?

because it has not happened often in the past does not mean it won't happen a lot more in the future especially if forced to.

I fish to live and live to fish.

I think that if you were to ask the commercials if they support the increase in mls to a size that means that they have had the chance to have bred at least once then every one of them would support that.

If however you asked them how that would be achieved then I'm sure that nearly all would favour a staged increase in mls rather than a big jump in sizes in one go.

Not so much staged increase but an increase for every body not just one little player the UK.

Fishingsfine seems to have missed the fact that I have been lobbying for a mesh increase and a landing increase for bass for years through the SFC. I tried to do something simula with soles,with DEFRA, trying to get a better quota deal, every body agreed so long as the Belgium beam trawlers who we have to work a long side conformed as well, they were right in saying it won't work unless they did and of cause there was no way the beames wanted to know .Its the same for Steve G and the boats working in that area along side French trawlers. I' m sure Steve stated in one of his posts that he would except an increase in mls, but only if the French did as well. when you asked why don't we help you lobby Europe, it's because some have been there before and know the out come.

Maybe just maybe, being able to fish outside the twelve mile limit and landing bass of 36-45cm in a foreign port shows just how weak the BMP really is as a fishery management tool and how stupid it is to have a "fishery management tool for species survival" that is isolationist at its very best.

Surely whats needed is an EU wide approach to any percieved problem rather than a law that most of the EU bass fishers will ignore anyway and will not impinge on them nor restrict their landings anyway

Assuming I am just reading the consultation in the wrong way, and there is no sneaking in of any clause to prevent the carriage of <45cm Bass in devolved waters, then whats going to happen somewhere like the Bristol Channel area ?

If only England goes for 45cm, thats going to make South Wales a popular landing place? :unsure:

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Assuming I am just reading the consultation in the wrong way, and there is no sneaking in of any clause to prevent the carriage of <45cm Bass in devolved waters, then whats going to happen somewhere like the Bristol Channel area ?

If only England goes for 45cm, thats going to make South Wales a popular landing place? :unsure:

I thought it was England and Wales Chris? I can't remember if I read it or was told, but I'm sure it's England and Wales.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

I thought it was England and Wales Chris? I can't remember if I read it or was told, but I'm sure it's England and Wales.

The Welsh Assembly Government are conducting their own consultation and could do something different to what DEFRA decide.

The WAG consultation finishes on 14th February

So if you are a Welsh Angler, or Fish in Wales, you still have time to respond.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

FF, be interested to know who is going to do the lobbying for RSA's at EU level, and who is going to pay for it. Running a story to the UK media and government seems a world away from influencing the EU IMHO. I get no sense that anglers are signing up and paying for the creation of any such lobby?

Getting back to the original post: Am i to take it that, as far as you all understand, I have misunderstood, and none of the proposed measures will apply in Scotland, unless the Scottish parliament decides to apply them?

Edited by Jaffa

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Hello Fishingsfine

Quotewurzel,

Maybe some have been there before but not anglers. The present anglers I know of don't give up easy. Times are changing. I would give anglers a bigger chance with the EU than you had via your SFC. Let's talk about this again in a years time from now on.

Dont worry I won't let you forget.