A Question about the Defra Bass Consultation

Jaffa

Fisheries management in the UK is devolved. Scottish vessels would not be managed by English S.I.s in British territorial waters. It requires separate legislation by the Scottish Parliament.

As for SFC representation

Until last year the chairman (for some 8 years) of one SFC was a Vice president of the NFSA. That same SFC has as the chair a member forwarded by the Wildlife Trust.

A lot of frustration has built up within the RSA community, given time a much more affective dialogue will develop with SFCs. This is a samilar debate to that that occurred when Environmental organisations entered into proper dialogue with SFCs now they (through the LINK partnership) recommend SFCs are developed and given more powers as they recognise them as the most effective local magement authority.

Councillors are BOUND by legislation governing what they can and cannot vote for. They are democratically elected representatives. Mr Eagles report could have equally be applied to the representativeness of elected members on any number of Committees at all levels. Thats why we vote for or against them its called democracy. Although other methods of managment exist Democracy is genreally considered pretty good when compared to the alternatives.

If your local government is not representing you, you need to know why.

STAVEY ANY accusation of wrong doing by councillors should be referred to you local government members services deprtment. I assure you they will take it very seriously.

I guess I have spouted off so I should introduce myself as an angler (mostly Solent area) and a environmental charity professional.

hi marine bill

solent is my area as well except i am commercial

steve

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The public can attend and observe Sea Fisheries Committees when they meet.

You can contact the SFC clerk and ask for a list of the dates and venues where they will be meeting during the year, and ask him to send you a copy of the agenda.

It's interesting to see how business is conducted on your behalf.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust