birds in cages?

geffaz

birds in cages! not being a bleeding hart lib i still find the sight of a bird in cage

a very sad sight! ill explane my reasons later! just want to see if this gets posted!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I was a kid in the the East End of London, I remember being taken to Club Row (the "pets" end of Petticoat Lane). It was one of the most depressing sights I'd ever seen, due mainly to the number of birds in cages that I suspect had not been bred in captivity (goldfinches, linnets, anything that might sing nicely). Thankfully you don't see that anymore (do you?).

When I was a kid in the the East End of London, I remember being taken to Club Row (the "pets" end of Petticoat Lane). It was one of the most depressing sights I'd ever seen, due mainly to the number of birds in cages that I suspect had not been bred in captivity (goldfinches, linnets, anything that might sing nicely). Thankfully you don't see that anymore (do you?).

- who knows where birds come from as i have heard many stories of birds being captured in places such as the amazon and then smuggled into the country. goldfinch is my favourite garden bird though

- who knows where birds come from as i have heard many stories of birds being captured in places such as the amazon and then smuggled into the country. goldfinch is my favourite garden bird though

Birds don't need to be smuggled out of the Amazon as there are quoters for each species every year.

There is nothing wrong with keeping Wild caught Birds in captivity if they have an adequate flight , good food etc etc.

Putting birds on Cites 1 for there protection sometimes works the other way as when the Natives catch a certain species (of say Macaw parrots which are being traded legally) they will very often catch Scarlet Macaws mixed with them but as the Scarlets are on cites 1 and can't be traded they are worth nothing other than a food source to the Natives so rather than release them they just knock them on the head and have them for tonights tea. Obviously the Greenwings are worth money to them so they are traded and if responsable people finish up with them they get looked after and should reproduce therefore increasing the population worldwide.

So by so called "protecting them" they are put in much greater danger.

I have owned and bred many, many species of birds includind british and foreign ones and as i say if they are looked after i can't see a problem.

As with any other animal you will always get some irresponsable people who outrage everyone.

Tigger.

Birds in cages - a bit like carp in ponds.

Seriously though I don't like seeing creatures confined. Tigers in zoos - there's another!

I have owned and bred many, many species of birds includind british and foreign ones and as i say if they are looked after i can't see a problem.

Yeah but your not a bird!

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I remember being taken to Club Row (the "pets" end of Petticoat Lane).

Is that the Essex Road end?

Last time I went up to that part of London it was to the Bishopsgate Institute to sit an exam. Seem to recall having a 'post exam debrief' - OK a pi$$ up in Dirty Dicks.

Amazingly enough, it's still open.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Is that the Essex Road end?

Last time I went up to that part of London it was to the Bishopsgate Institute to sit an exam. Seem to recall having a 'post exam debrief' - OK a pi$$ up in Dirty Dicks.

Amazingly enough, it's still open.

Actually, I'm mis-remembering - Club Row was tagged onto Brick Lane Market, not Petticoat lane:

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?pc=E16HR

Dirty Dick's is now a Young's pub, I believe (and they named a beer after him), but they've retained the "Dustbin Bar" with all the fake grime, cobwebs, and mummified cats.

Had an African Grey for almost five years. Sure he sleeps in the cage but the rest of the time sits on top of it, climbs up and down it, sits on the shoulder, follows me into the workshop, switches the telly on itself (remote button, the bugger knows which one) Generally never shuts up talking, singing, whilstling etc etc. He dont really seemed that **** off to me :)